Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
Good list OpenD, but before we start unpacking, are there any others we should know about?
If you are waiting on OpenD to respond, it might be a long wait.

He hasn't signed on in over a year.

My best guess - he's probably dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
I think you're right WhiteVipe, OpenD had been poorly and went to the mainland for medical reasons. Then - just stopped posting. So, more than likely he's not with us anymore. Wish there was some sort of service that would email everyone and post on the forums that the person was gone.

All is not lost without Krispy Kreme, CasualEntrepreneur, we have malasadas. There's also Spam Musubi and char sui bao and manapua, so we don't suffer from a lack of snacks.

There's Lowe's and Home DePot if you like those sorts of places. But HPM will match prices and you can shop local with them. There's also Ikeuchi's if you need a real hardware store.

I think the only Mexican franchise sorts of places is Taco Bell, but I'm not sure if that's Mexican. Otherwise there's some Mexican restaurants here and there. Pahoa, Hilo, Kailua-Kona mostly. Pizza Hut, too, but there's many other much better places for pizza.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:20 AM

101 posts, read 138,620 times
If you want a decent Sicilian pizza you'll have to make it yourself. Its much cheaper and will be better than whats available.
Nobody on this island makes a great pizza. Pats Pies($$$) down in Captain Cook makes ok pizza. But its not Sicilian.
As for Mexican, Lucy's Taqueria in downtown Hilo is awesome. Its as close to authentic as you can get.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:29 PM

We will have to pop into Lucy's next time we're in Hilo, it sounds like a great place for lunch.

Would Sicilian pizza be similar to the deep dish Chicago type? I really prefer the deep dish pizza, but about the only type sold around seems to be the thin crust stuff. A really good, IMHO, pizza should require eating it with a fork. There is a good pizza place up in Waimea now, The Underground Pizza, but they make thin crust pizza.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 PM

101 posts, read 138,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Would Sicilian pizza be similar to the deep dish Chicago type? I really prefer the deep dish pizza, but about the only type sold around seems to be the thin crust stuff. A really good, IMHO, pizza should require eating it with a fork. There is a good pizza place up in Waimea now, The Underground Pizza, but they make thin crust pizza.
No, not deep dish. Thinner, dough on the saltier side, sauce usually sweeter, Italian seasoning.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 PM

13 posts, read 12,705 times
.....sigh..... I read through the whole posting only to not see OpenD's comments on the last few pages (I haven't even been looking at the dates).... I am not even part of the group yet, and I miss him.....

Thanks for everyone's comments, makes a wannabe want to move there one day.
LOL, not so sure about all the bugs... but I don't mind lizards, so maybe i'll adopt a few gecko's.... and maybe buy a small pooper scooper? LOL

No pizza places.... hmmmm... mayhaps I can practice up a bit and help in that aspect

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 AM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Oh, I dunno about no good pizza places. Z and I both love the pizzas at Boogie Woogie Pizza in Pahoa. Much like the little pizzerias we eat at here on the central OR coast. They're slow, but those pizzas are well worth the wait. And their cheezy garlic toast. And their smooties..... Yeah, we like that place :-).

Old 04-24-2016, 01:12 PM

There's lots of pizza places around here, I just don't know if any of them are Sicilian, though. There's the Underground Pizza in Waimea. Kinda thin crust, crunchy-ish, very distinct tomato flavor in the sauce (might be straight tomato sauce) and a very traditional pizza place decor. The Landing in Honokaa & Laupahoehoe makes a pretty good pizza, slightly thicker crust, lots of cheese, spices in the sauce, not as crispy of a crust. El Mundo makes pizza too, it's been awhile since I've had that, though, since I generally get the calzones there. For awhile Tex Drive Inn was making pizza, not sure if they still do. They had pizza with large chunky veggies on it, kinda odd when I'm more used to the more diced up type. There's also Costco and Pizza Hut.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
There are no less than 3 Pizzaria's on the same block in Pahoa, Boogie Woogie, Mikes New York and Paolo's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island