Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,265 times

Advertisements

I'm a Colorado native and huge kayaker, and am interested in relocating to Bend for the rivers and lifestyle. We live in employee housing in Aspen, but even with the housing help we are working two jobs each and raising a toddler. As such, we don't actually enjoy the mountains and rivers much, and drive over 20 minutes to get anywhere (store, schools etc.) We're wondering, has the economy in Bend dropped so much (read 17% unemployment as of March 2009!) that we would find the lifestyle quality dropping too? (mainly neighborhoods for kids, resources for raising family, recreation etc.) Also, is there anyone out there that can talk about boating right out of Bend? Lots to think about, and opinions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 PM

213 posts, read 523,243 times
The unemployment rate in Central Oregon is very bad...like 17% bad. And Oregon has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the nation! I don't see the lifestyle going down the tubes, because there is a lot of wealth in the Bend/Central Oregon area, but it's mostly from retirees. As for jobs, if you can find one, Central Oregon jobs don't pay very well for the average Joe, and the cost of living is high. Affordable housing is a condo at $1500/mo. while the average job pays about $10/hr.

There will always be recreation in Bend and Central Oregon. If you like the outdoors, Oregon is a great place to be with things to do year-around.

I went to a few Central Oregon schools, and the education is not the best, it's certainly not the worst either. There are lots of cookie-cutter subdivisions that will provide the stereo-typical scene, and then there's living out of Bend, in the more rural parts, that will provide a different scene. Neither of which is bad, imo.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM

480 posts, read 2,468,721 times
[quote=oregonchickfan;8764376]TAffordable housing is a condo at $1500/mo. while the average job pays about $10/hr.

I have to disagree. My son and daughter are moving this week from a newer two bedroom/ two & 1/2 bath townhome with a nice large yard that rents for $900 to a three bedroom cottage with a large yard for about $50 a month less. Jobs are hard to find; there is no doubt about that, though there seems to be a few more postings recently in the Sunday paper than there were a month ago. Bend is still a great place for outdoor activities and the Deschutes River, that runs right through town, is already full every weekend with kayaks and canoes

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,700,552 times
I agree with Bendite. The economy here is bad, and jobs are extremely hard to come by, but housing prices have dropped. As a former Western slope Coloradoan myself, I would say housing prices are nowhere near the prices of Aspen. You will probably find Bend very affordable compared with Aspen. However, you should really find a job before you make the decision to move here. Competition for the few jobs out there is fierce and it may take you some time before you can find work.

In terms of lifestyle, I would say that you will find what you are looking for. I don't kayak, but my brother-in-law who lives here does, and he is always on the river. This town has endless recreational opportunities, and if you can find the job, you should be able to find the balance. Bend is a great place to live!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
I was raised in Aspen and lived just east of town on the river for 33 years. My Wife and I came to Bend in 1990 with 2 small kid's. It was a wonderful place back then, but those days are way gone.
As far as white water, you will not find anything close to what you have in Colorado.
I used to run the Arkanas during spring run-off, and it was intense.
Anyway, best of luck in your decision making process. I would look in SW Colorado still beautiful, and hasn't been raped and pillaged.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,930,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseliger View Post
I was raised in Aspen and lived just east of town on the river for 33 years. My Wife and I came to Bend in 1990 with 2 small kid's. It was a wonderful place back then, but those days are way gone.
As far as white water, you will not find anything close to what you have in Colorado.
I used to run the Arkanas during spring run-off, and it was intense.
Anyway, best of luck in your decision making process. I would look in SW Colorado still beautiful, and hasn't been raped and pillaged.
Dang there seems to be a lot of old Aspenites looking at Bend.. I left Aspen in 71 after it was raped and pillaged. I was born there and driven away by the idiots. So is Bend headed then same direction in your opinion? We are considering retiring there.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,700,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Dang there seems to be a lot of old Aspenites looking at Bend.. I left Aspen in 71 after it was raped and pillaged. I was born there and driven away by the idiots. So is Bend headed then same direction in your opinion? We are considering retiring there.
In general, I have found a lot of former Coloradoans (myself included) living in Bend. I don't know of the old Aspen, so I can't compare what it used to be. However, living here for just over a year, I have seen the economy tank. The mass influx of wealthy retirees has declined drastically. I think it will continue to be a place that west coast people vacation. But, most people now realize they can't make a living here and are either leaving or not coming to in the first place.

Bend really has a more down home feel. I think one thing that helps keep in lower profile than aspen, is the fact that Mt. Bachelor is the only ski resort close. Plus, it's not the mega "resort" that defines Colorado these days. There really isn't anything on the mountain itself except recreation. IMO, many people that can afford a luxury vacation home would rather live in the "resort" community, than an actual town.

I sure hope Bend doesn't head in the direction of Aspen or other CO resorts. I'm sure it's difficult to predict. Many people that lived in Aspen or other towns probably didn't see it coming either until it was too late.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:43 AM
wgp

2 posts, read 6,988 times
Bend has been really hot lately. True there is a job deficit. The demographic that sees the most problem in this area is young adults (18-29) with only a high school diploma. There are so many houses here that half of them are still empty, with little outlook on improvement. A great deal of which was built by cheap imported labor. (ex: like DR Horton homes) This, in my world, is one of the reasons for Bend's economic position. However, if you look like Jennifer Love Hewitt then your outlook is good, given that at every store restraint or coffee house has a local hottie working there. :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend