Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 PM

16 posts, read 31,320 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is planning to come up to Bend, from Modesto Ca, this mid-to-late June (flexible on time frame) and would like to know either what areas of Bend would be good for a vacation rental or the surrounding area.

Of course "good" is subjective so let me give you some ideas of what we desire. My family loves the outdoors and are avid runners. Staying in an area with nearby trails or wide roads with low traffic is a plus for daily runs. In past vacation rentals we've found places that have larger lots around 2 acres and really like the country feel this provides even in a more "residential" area.

Being the summer, I'm slightly concerned that there might be too much traffic or activity in Bend itself due to tourist ( I know irony, I am one of 'em!) so, I'm open to staying in an area outside of Bend itself in order to enjoy some solitude. We love quiet, big skies, and just drinking in nature. That said, we don't want to be to far from a local grocery store and places to get supplies. Too far being defined as driving more than 20 minutes to pick up groceries; for example.

I love the idea of being near a river and having access to one for rafting or kayaking. From what I've read, Three Rivers or "sounds" interesting, but I don't know much about it other than alot of vacation rentals provide SHARC passes. Not totally sure SHARC is a good or bad thing.....

We love hiking, biking, and exploring nature and brew pubs.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would recomended The Old Mill District, except real estate agents have started to call anything within 15 miles of there "The Old Mill District", with no concern about how close it really is, so I don't know how someone from out of state would know if a property really is in The Old Mill District. There are a couple of vacation rentals in Woodriver Village, which is prime location, on the river, hiking trails, river floating, bike paths, near the dog park, near concerts, near shopping, movie theater, restaurants. (We are no longer allowed to say within walking distance ).

You might like Eagle Crest. It's outside of town. They rent out the vacant timeshares by the week, and those are very nice. Resort facilities, restaurant, pool, that sort of thing . You would have to drive for shopping, 10-15 minutes. It's a pretty drive.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:22 PM

169 posts, read 237,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You might like Eagle Crest. It's outside of town. They rent out the vacant timeshares by the week, and those are very nice. Resort facilities, restaurant, pool, that sort of thing . You would have to drive for shopping, 10-15 minutes. It's a pretty drive.
As a year-round resident of Eagle Crest, I concur. The Deschutes river is on the east side of the property with a beautiful runnable trail, there are asphalt paths totaling 13 miles throughout the resort for running or biking. If THAT’S not enough, there are just about unlimited miles in the BLM land bordering EC for mountain biking, hiking, or running. Lots of wonderful trails, parks, and sights in easy driving distance too. There is some kid noise at the pools during the day but the nights are quiet and there are stars aplenty.

“Downtown” Redmond is 15 minutes away with all the supplies and food you’ll need (Fred Meyers). Lots of good restaurants as well. Sisters is 20 minutes away, or Bend is 30 minutes away if nothing in Redmond strikes your fancy, but we rarely choose to go to Bend except for Thai. Redmond is a great little town. And you’ll avoid the traffic in Bend.

ETA: the on-property restaurant sucks. Just sayin’.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:13 AM

16 posts, read 31,320 times
Thank you for the replies. I should clarify, we're not looking for vacation rentals in the sense of time-shares or a property with condos. Maybe I should have posted as "Where to vacation in the Bend area?"

What we do is rent a home via VRBO.com or Flipkey.com. While you can rent a condo or town home via these web-sites, we only rent stand-alone homes.

So, we're very interested in the layout, logistics, and flavor of the neighborhood and location relative to outdoors areas of interest as well as supplies.

Thanks again for the input thus far!

Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 AM

169 posts, read 237,780 times
I think we understood the question. However, your desire to rent a single-family detached home changes things. There a few such properties at Eagle Crest (available on VRBO), but most are townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend