Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Oh Bend, has plenty of overcast skies, but it lacks the rain, but has more snow. Also, Bend does receive a good deal of rain, but the horrible soil prevents the ground from ever getting green. I was amazed when I was in Bend and it rained non-stop for 2 weeks that the ground was still as brown and ugly as in the summer. Even in Southern Oregon, which is more deserty than Northern Oregon, when it rained consistently for that period of time, the hills would turn to a pretty, lush green color.

I will repeat: If it is sunny in Bend, its sunny in Portland, if it is overcast in Portland it is usually overcast in Bend. Last February it was overcast and cloudy in Bend and I drove into Portland and it was blue skies! Oh, the irony of it all!

You win.. Bend's weather isn't so bad after you lived at 10,000+ feet in Colorado. I bet people living in Nunavut in Northern Canada would think Bend's winter is like being in Tahiti.
And remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I find the desert fascinating and remarkably beautiful. While it is considerably more brown that the western side of the Cascades, there is life and vegetation, even in the harshest of conditions. The twisted junipers you find out in the Badlands are very unique. Having grown up in Colorado, and lived in the desert southwest, I appreciate the desert landscape. I love the greenery in Portland and locations west of the Cascades, but the constant drizzle, rain and overcast skies are not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Oh Bend, has plenty of overcast skies, but it lacks the rain, but has more snow. Also, Bend does receive a good deal of rain, but the horrible soil prevents the ground from ever getting green. I was amazed when I was in Bend and it rained non-stop for 2 weeks that the ground was still as brown and ugly as in the summer. Even in Southern Oregon, which is more deserty than Northern Oregon, when it rained consistently for that period of time, the hills would turn to a pretty, lush green color.
You seriously crack me up.

Here are 5 sources that all refute your claim. Bend gets about 11-13inches per year NOTHING like Portland or the like:

1) Bend vs Portland: Climate Comparison for Bend, OR and Portland, OR

2) BEND, OREGON - Climate Summary

3) Average High/Low Temperatures for KRDM : Weather Underground

4) Oregon.com Weather - Central Oregon Weather History

5) Bend Weather - Oregon - Average Temperatures and Rainfall

---

It's actually almost to the point of comedy now how jaded and vindictive you are towards Bend. I am sorry you hated it so much, but to blame the rain and crappy weather when compared to Portland is nonsense. Unless you enjoy the rain and clouds you do not have a leg to stand on.

---
I will continue to reference these discussions whenever you spew your misinformation regarding weather.

PS - I have no problem if you do not like Bend and it's climate (Central Oregon is NOT for everyone, case in point), but to actively smear it in a disingenuous and misleading way is just wrong.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM

129 posts, read 583,976 times
You have not disproved anything I said kapetrich. I never said Bend receives the same amount of precipitation as Portland. What I did say is that Bend on average, has almost the same number of cloudy days as Portland, but it doesn't rain as much. Personally, if it is going to be cloudy, I'd rather it rain, so I can get a benefit of greenery along with all the clouds. Sadly, even if it does rain heavily in Bend, the ground still doesn't turn green, because of the rocky volcanic soil. If I was to live in a high desert, at least give me the benefit of having lots of sunshine. Bend, does not have lots of sunshine. It receives the same cloud cover as West of the Cascades, but by the time they hit Bend the clouds dry out, but are still thick. The clouds don't start dissipating until you go further east, like towards Burns.

Another thing Bend gets that I rarely see in Portland are inversions. During the winter, Bend is misty and foggy. It somewhat reminds me of living on the Oregon Coast, except it's an icy and cold fog that seems more stagnate.

IF people want sunny and pretty high desert, go to Colorado Springs. I have thought about living there, but I just cannot live without greenery and water. Personally, I think the scenery of Colorado Springs is nicer than Bend's from what I seen in pictures. Also, another High desert I think has significantly better scenery and weather than Bend would be the Sawtooth Mountains area around Sun Valley, ID. Of course, you will have to pay to live in that area.

I will say on a rear clear day in the Winter or Early Spring, the mountain view around Sister is quite nice. I do love the Three Sisters and Mt. Jefferson. Personally, I'd rather enjoy the beauty from the western side of the mountain with all the trees. There are some pretty forests around Sisters. I have climbed South Sister in September and do admire the view. It's a pretty rugged hike at the top, almost saw a hiker bite the dust once I hit the scree.

If anyone wants a cool town just on the other side of Bend, check out Blue River. Way nicer than anything east of the Cascades. Why live around dirt and sagebrush when just down the road you have a forest paradise with the same amount of cloud cover?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
You have not disproved anything I said kapetrich. I never said Bend receives the same amount of precipitation as Portland. What I did say is that Bend on average, has almost the same number of cloudy days as Portland, but it doesn't rain as much. Personally, if it is going to be cloudy, I'd rather it rain, so I can get a benefit of greenery along with all the clouds. Sadly, even if it does rain heavily in Bend, the ground still doesn't turn green, because of the rocky volcanic soil. If I was to live in a high desert, at least give me the benefit of having lots of sunshine. Bend, does not have lots of sunshine. It receives the same cloud cover as West of the Cascades, but by the time they hit Bend the clouds dry out, but are still thick. The clouds don't start dissipating until you go further east, like towards Burns.

Another thing Bend gets that I rarely see in Portland are inversions. During the winter, Bend is misty and foggy. It somewhat reminds me of living on the Oregon Coast, except it's an icy and cold fog that seems more stagnate.

IF people want sunny and pretty high desert, go to Colorado Springs. I have thought about living there, but I just cannot live without greenery and water. Personally, I think the scenery of Colorado Springs is nicer than Bend's from what I seen in pictures. Also, another High desert I think has significantly better scenery and weather than Bend would be the Sawtooth Mountains area around Sun Valley, ID. Of course, you will have to pay to live in that area.
Forgive me. I was refuting this statement:

Quote:
Also, Bend does receive a good deal of rain, but the horrible soil prevents the ground from ever getting green. I was amazed when I was in Bend and it rained non-stop for 2 weeks that the ground was still as brown and ugly as in the summer. Even in Southern Oregon, which is more deserty than Northern Oregon, when it rained consistently for that period of time, the hills would turn to a pretty, lush green color.
Again, I can understand you not enjoying Bend. It is not for everyone. It is a bit brown comparatively and does not get much precipitation at all. Also, we do get inversion on occasion. This is a fact, but it's not worth fighting with you at this point. You are way too biased to fairly depict Bend's weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend