Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 AM

67 posts, read 170,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to Baton Rouge for his job. He's an engineer (suprise) and I am an RN. We've read the other posts- and still have some questions.

Where's a good place to work as an RN? I have worked in cardiothoracic critical care for the past 3.5 years in teaching hospitals and would like to continue. I'm working on my masters as well so I'll need practicum sites.

And what about living? Good schools will eventually be important. Our beagles would like a little leg room too. We lived in Atlanta so all the complaints of traffic surely can't compare, especially with the hours we work.

I've seen that there's plenty of things to do there- I just hope the LSU folks don't attack our Auburn bumper stickers (Lord knows the UF police have hunted me and my cars). Any other info is welcomed- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
I've heard that Baton Rouge General - Mid City , see's the most trauma cases . Summit Hospital has a good reputation in our family . http://www.ahssummithospital.com/

The City of Central is a good place for your kids ( and dogs ) .

Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM

100 posts, read 392,119 times
There's a number of good opportunities here for an RN.

OLOL, both BR Generals, Oschner, Summit, and countless of these private surgical practices that seem to dot the Bluebonnet/Essen/Perkins/Summa area.

The Lake has a good nursing program, but I'm not 100% familiar with it's compatibility with your specialization. Southeastern is also located across the street from OLOL.

I actually used to live in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area in northern Atlanta. The transition to Baton Rouge is really not that difficult. The traffic is sometimes hairy, but nothing like the GA 400, northern 285, or I-75 at rush hour.

Baton Rouge is actually sort of a small version of Atlanta in many ways. I can't guarantee that you won't get the occasionally tongue in cheek jeer from LSU fans with your Auburn decorated wardrobe and cars...but for the most part, this is a friendly place to outsiders.

Public schools in town are, with a few exceptions, Baton Rouge's downfall. The Central and Zachary districts are the only good performing districts "in town", Ascension and Livingston are very impressive suburban districts. The Woodlawn high district is good in Baton Rouge as well......the gifted and magnet programs in East Baton Rouge are second to none. There are great private schools across the area.
It all depends on where you are planning on living and working.....

Welcome to town. If you have any specific questions, this is the place to ask it. The folks on here are very helpful.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 AM

97 posts, read 1,228,872 times
Quote:
The City of Central is a good place for your kids ( and dogs ) .
Quote:
Public schools in town are, with a few exceptions, Baton Rouge's downfall. The Central and Zachary districts are the only good performing districts "in town"
These are both smallish cities north of Baton Rouge, they are not part of BR as both of them have somewhat recently become independent cities. I agree about the schools here being the best. I was born and raised in Central and, although it is a bit "small town" for me, if you want to live somewhere where there are good schools and a great sense of community, live there. People actually know (and care about!) each other.

As far as Zachary is concerned, I don't know as much about it as I do Central, but there is a hospital there (Lane Regional Medical Center). They recently revamped it, too.

Both of these areas have new neighborhoods going up like crazy, along with nice older communities. It would be about a 30-45 minute commute into BR from either of these.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM

We're looking more in the Prairieville, Dutchtown, Gonzales, St. Amant areas as my husband will work in Geismar. From what you mentioned, if it's a 30-45 min drive into BR, he'd be stuck with another 30 or so to Geismar. This is his first chance since graduating to have a drive under 30min to work, and first in the last 6 to be under an hour. Don't think he'd be excitied about that drive again...

Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
We're looking more in the Prairieville, Dutchtown, Gonzales, St. Amant areas as my husband will work in Geismar. From what you mentioned, if it's a 30-45 min drive into BR, he'd be stuck with another 30 or so to Geismar. This is his first chance since graduating to have a drive under 30min to work, and first in the last 6 to be under an hour. Don't think he'd be excitied about that drive again...
BR General would be a slightly closer drive from Ascension Parish than the Lake would. Couple of other things to consider: (1) the I-10 road work in the short term sucks (they're widening I-10 from 10/12 to Bluebonnet and soon will be widening it from Siegen to Highland), (2) the Lake is engaged in a fight with Blue Cross over the Lake staying in Blue Cross' network. While I think this will ultimately be settled at the last minute like it was a couple of years ago, the Lake has been doing its best to tick off managed care companies over the years.

Also, too, I noticed you said you have beagles. For what it's worth, they have a beagle rescue group in Prairieville called Hokies Hounds.

Hokie's Hounds Beagle Rescue

Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the head's up. Both our beagles are rescues in fact. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I've been working in CVICUs the past few years (heart & lung transplants, disections, aneurisms, etc.) so from what I've heard the Lake is more that hospital. All though I haven't decided if I'm going to stay in that setting, and want to check out all the hospitals to see what they've got and see what I can get .

We lived in Atlanta prior to our 1 year stint here in FL, so traffic is hated but expected.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
My husband and I may be relocating to Baton Rouge for his job. He's an engineer (suprise) and I am an RN. We've read the other posts- and still have some questions.

Where's a good place to work as an RN? I have worked in cardiothoracic critical care for the past 3.5 years in teaching hospitals and would like to continue. I'm working on my masters as well so I'll need practicum sites.

And what about living? Good schools will eventually be important. Our beagles would like a little leg room too. We lived in Atlanta so all the complaints of traffic surely can't compare, especially with the hours we work.

I've seen that there's plenty of things to do there- I just hope the LSU folks don't attack our Auburn bumper stickers (Lord knows the UF police have hunted me and my cars). Any other info is welcomed- thanks!
Hello there! My husband has a job as an RN at OLOL and loves it! The department he is in is fully staffed, competent RN's and he loves working there. I am an xray tech, but currently working as a vet tech at LSU. The xray jobs are few and far between here, but OLOL(Our Lady of the Lake) hospital has many job openings and most people seem to like it there. If you decline benefits you can opt for higher pay as well.

Schools, well our daughter goes to private and I would not have it any other way. Schools here are not very well rated and although teachers are great, the students and low parental involvement has not helped at all. A friend of mine is a teacher at a local public High School and he has had only 3 parents come to the OPen House to meet the teacher etc and no one hardly showed up for the parent/teacher conference. He says it is very dissappointing.

I laugh at people that say traffic is so bad here. We went to Atlanta a year ago and at 2 inthe afternoon, it was bumper to bumper! Here, the traffic is not bad at all once rush hour is over and weekends are great as far as traffic is concerned. The roads are also being improved around here! Go Baton Rouge.

As far as Auburn bumper stickers-no big deal at least to me. Some people may balk, but pay them no mind!
Any other questions, please let me know-also we are from south Florida and are happy we moved here. We love the weather, the people and the food and most of all, the great things to do here for families.
AS far as your pups. There are many home with fenced in yards and I am sure many dog friendly apartments. I have a home and 2 dogs. I also heard there is a Dog Park around campus as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 PM

97 posts, read 1,228,872 times
The dog park is on Dalrymple across from City Park. It's pretty popular and the dogs love it. It's also a good place to meet new friends, for both you and your pups.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM

457 posts, read 756,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
The dog park is on Dalrymple across from City Park. It's pretty popular and the dogs love it. It's also a good place to meet new friends, for both you and your pups.
Just a little FYI, Denham Springs has a dog park too in the "South PArk" area. Its not too big, about 3 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge