Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 AM

155 posts, read 766,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Sure, however, my thought is this: dumping ALL the traffic on Perkins in one/two places would be a disaster. At least with what's being proposed, the traffic load would be better distributed.

And, pragmatically speraking, they're going to put SOMETHING on the Ford property at some point even if Rouzan fails. If Spinosa demonstrates that he's sensitive to Southdowners concerns, I'd rather this development than, say, the inept way they've designed the "street grid" for Perkins Rowe.
Whether it's Perkins or Lee the outcome is the same especially with the density Spinosa is proposing. The man is motivated by greed. He couldn't care less about neighbor's concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,352 times
Default Spinosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
Whether it's Perkins or Lee the outcome is the same especially with the density Spinosa is proposing. The man is motivated by greed. He couldn't care less about neighbor's concerns.
I haven't heard about Spinosa. What is that all about?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
He absolutely is motivated by greed - he's a real estate developer. Given that unpleasant reality, what's he willing to do for Southdowners so he can make his profit ?

This is a good debate, because there are two realities here that I see from watching this play out: (1) a lack of understanding as to the effect unplanned growth has on quality of life in BR, and (2) a NIMBY mindset that is ready to jettison ANY development. Folks, development is a fact of life. How about applying some planning principles to that growth ?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I haven't heard about Spinosa. What is that all about?
The fight over Rouzan - pastureland at Perkins/Congress Blvd that a developer named Tommy Spinosa (who developed CitiPlace and Perkins Rowe) wants to develop. It's a classic growth vs NIMBYs vs greedy developer battle.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The fight over Rouzan - pastureland at Perkins/Congress Blvd that a developer named Tommy Spinosa (who developed CitiPlace and Perkins Rowe) wants to develop. It's a classic growth vs NIMBYs vs greedy developer battle.
It's not as simple as that. True, there are those who oppose anything but a single entrance subdivision like those you find throughout BR, but there are many others who embrace the idea of a TND as long as the planning is done properly. From what I've seen and heard that isn't the case here. In addition to the traffic issue there are also serious concerns about drainage and our antiquated sewer system.

JR Ball of the Baton Rouge Business Report is a big proponent. He's written a number of articles. Readers then have the option of sharing their views. A few links if you're interested:

:: Baton Rouge Business Report :: Rouzan hell

https://www.businessreport.com/news/...-rouzan-rlet1/

https://www.businessreport.com/news/...e-same-result/

https://www.businessreport.com/news/...c/13/what-now/

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
From what I've seen and heard that isn't the case here. In addition to the traffic issue there are also serious concerns about drainage and our antiquated sewer system.
Not sure how traffic would be an issue here unless your contention is that ANY development would create traffic.

As to drainage/sewer, wouldn't that also be an issue with ANY proposed development ? I agree you're adding more load to the system, but I don't see that as solely a Rouzan thing.

I'd also like to provide perspective to this - Southdowners are very protective about their neighborhood. And that's a good thing. However, that protectiveness led them to oppose the Stanford widening in the 1970s. And any Lee Drive widening. And now to a proposed development that will bring some traffic through Southdowns.

Personally, I'm pragmatic on this issue. The reality is, something will be developed on that property. How about turning this proposed development into a win win for Baton Rougeans ? As in, make Spinosa offer concessions that have a community benefit.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Not sure how traffic would be an issue here unless your contention is that ANY development would create traffic.

As to drainage/sewer, wouldn't that also be an issue with ANY proposed development ? I agree you're adding more load to the system, but I don't see that as solely a Rouzan thing.
The sheer residential density is the problem in regards to traffic and drainage.

Traffic

Smart Growth?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,352 times
Quote:
I see. Spinosa is the developer of Rouzan.
Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
The sheer residential density is the problem in regards to traffic and drainage.

Traffic

Smart Growth?
Wouldn't this have been the case with Perkins Rowe as well ? Point being, I'm not convinced all these calamitous things are a Rouzan only thing.

BTW, they had a great letter in the paper today about how in the old days, they frowned on dead end streets when developing new subdividsions. I sure wish they had that mindset today.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't this have been the case with Perkins Rowe as well ? Point being, I'm not convinced all these calamitous things are a Rouzan only thing.
That whole Bluebonnet/Perkins Rowe area is a traffic nightmare! And I really don't think the much-delayed widening of Perkins is going to change things. BR is famous for doing things ass backwards. I have no idea about drainage issues in that area. I do know the homeowners in the subdivision that backs up to Perkins Rowe (Wimbledon) were treated with much disregard by Spinosa. I'd hate to be one of the homeowners in the area surrounding Rouzan, knowing his track record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge