Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,481 times

Advertisements

We are moving to BR in October, and would like to find a church with small groups that doesn't have a 2,000 + congregation, and has lots of kids (we have a 1-year-old). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM

270 posts, read 587,446 times
Check out Parkview Baptist church. I realize it's not a non-demoninational church, but I would suggest you to at least just give it a try. The pastor gives excellent messages, and he even greets you at the door. The pastor at my church would never do such a thing! She size is very comforting and they have very friendly people in there.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I believe most non-denominational churches are these huge business churches.
Healing Place Church (Highland Rd) is pretty big, but I enjoyed the service more than Bethany South, which is larger.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
Quote:
I agree. I had the same impression with some of the churches I attended here in Lafayette. I, like the op would like to know of a Small church to go to.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM

270 posts, read 587,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Healing Place Church (Highland Rd) is pretty big, but I enjoyed the service more than Bethany South, which is larger.
While that may be true for some places, you shouldn't make a blanket statement. Big churches were once small churches and they grew for possibly a number of different reasons. My church is a large church, but what gives it a small-church feeling is the Bible fellowship classes that come about. Without those classes, you would get lost in the shuffle.

The benefit of the Bible fellowship classes is that people in your group are in the same life situation as you. If you are young and single, that's your group. If you are married with kids, that's your group. So big churches do have some drawbacks, but have benefits as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
While that may be true for some places, you shouldn't make a blanket statement. Big churches were once small churches and they grew for possibly a number of different reasons. My church is a large church, but what gives it a small-church feeling is the Bible fellowship classes that come about. Without those classes, you would get lost in the shuffle.

The benefit of the Bible fellowship classes is that people in your group are in the same life situation as you. If you are young and single, that's your group. If you are married with kids, that's your group. So big churches do have some drawbacks, but have benefits as well.
I said most, which is feel is a pretty accurate statement. The only small churches I can think of are Catholic or Baptist.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM

142 posts, read 439,744 times
I can think of a couple. Chapel on the campus. It's right by LSU, but I have friends with kids who attend there, as it's not at all just college students. Even elderly people attend.

I believe there's one on Highland called The Vineyard.

One on Jefferson at Essen, pretty small, called Community Bible Church. We went to a Halloween/fall fest event there and seemed to be pretty small, but a lot of kids!

Hubby just said Church of the Highlands. I don't know anything about it, I've lived here 7 years, he all his life. So, he just mentioned it.

We have some friends church shopping and have visited a few others that I can't think of...maybe one called Grace? I know there's a few! Sorry I can't think of more right now, but they are out there!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,481 times
Thank you all for the info. We are flying down this weekend to do our house hunting, and were planning on checking out a couple of churches. We were thinking the Chapel in the Oaks, since that is closer to the area where we will be looking than the one near LSU.
@WhoDat2011, thank you, we went to a Baptist church for a while that had Bible fellowship classes, and like the concept of it, but found that the congregation didn't seem very interested in having relationships with new comers, which was disappointing. But, maybe at a bigger church, this wouldn't be the case.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCtoBTR View Post
Thank you all for the info. We are flying down this weekend to do our house hunting, and were planning on checking out a couple of churches. We were thinking the Chapel in the Oaks, since that is closer to the area where we will be looking than the one near LSU.
@WhoDat2011, thank you, we went to a Baptist church for a while that had Bible fellowship classes, and like the concept of it, but found that the congregation didn't seem very interested in having relationships with new comers, which was disappointing. But, maybe at a bigger church, this wouldn't be the case.
Hi Roc. I would solicit opinions from people actually plugged into a church. There are some responders here that actually don't attend church, so those people opinions are worthless. I would also suggest Parkview Baptist as it was a very friendly pastor who also doubles as the door greeter.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Great observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge