Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,497 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for all the wealth of information! I am in the process of moving to BR purely for a good job and I am getting paranoid. I'm a recent college grad and a total city, cosmopolitan girl. I would love to stay by lsu, the area I'm living in currently has low to no crime. I am currently searching for clean and safe apartments to stay in down there, i really don't mind wild parties either, any recommendations. Also my job is located on Florida Blvd, how is that area and to what degree is it safe or dangerous. I really want the job, but I don't want to be around and work in area where I would feel my life is in jeopardy. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 AM

56 posts, read 228,564 times
There is a brand new apartment complex off of millerville/interstate that my friend just moved into to...they are close to florida and also safe.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 13,812 times
Hi,
Can you be more specific about what part of Florida Blvd? I am assuming your job will be located more towards downtown Baton Rouge...which is quite far from Millerville. If it is more toward downtown, I would highly advise you not living off of Fla Blvd if this is the case. There are several new, very nice apartments around the LSU area. This area is also quite convenient to downtown.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 23,089 times
Default Dont

places to stay out of in lsu area .. Tiger land Is on the top list of crime !
I lived there for a couple of months , there have been several people robed in there homes and out , muged due to not many street lights. most of that area is bad. stay clear of anything past highland.. My advice is to move somewheres around ( segian, blubonnet, essan) if you get stuck in traffic most of the roads leading to that area connect .

Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM

72 posts, read 297,201 times
I'll ask my daughter.....she and her boyfriend live in Baton Rouge, and not far from LSU, I think....I will ask her what area is safe, they just moved, too....she's 27, near your age. The traffic is bad, though....the town literally doubled in size in about 48 hours, after Hurricane Katrina hit 2 years ago....prices went up too, they had a hard time finding something decent and safe they could afford. But I'll ask her and post it here.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Default not bad

My husband and our 4 year old daughter live in Baton Rouge and have for 2 1/2 years. We love it here! I am tired of people talikng about the bad traffic though. Yes, as in ANY CITY, it is bad at rush hour, but the rest of the time especially on a Saturday afternoon, the traffic is minimal. I guess also some people do not know any different, we came from south Florida where the traffic is bumper to bumper 24/7. To us, the traffic is nothing here! The other thing, Katrina was 2 years ago and alot of people have left and the population is nowhere near as bad- even 6 months ago. There is so much to do here for every age group and our daughter loves the Water Park and all the festivals they have here. The housing prices are dropping also. Most people here are very friendly, so remember to use manners and be polite!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
Florida Boulevard is a very long road. I could tell you alot more if I knew which section of Florida Boulevard(Dowtown, Mid-City, Sherwood Forest Area, etc.). Also, most of Florida Boulevard is marginal, crime is not a huge problem at any section along it, but it is certainly not unheard of.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,924 times
If you want to live near LSU, I recommend somewhere on Brightside Dr., the Garden District, Stanford Ave. or maybe even Corporate Blvd. Lots of nice, new apartment complexes, townhouses, etc. But I agree with brbelle24 - stay out of Tigerland. And the Northgates. Both not exactly the safest places to live.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,907 times
I just moved from Baton Rouge to Shreveport. I would definitely recommend Warwick Apartments on Jefferson Highway near Corporate Blvd. I just moved out and on a scale of 1 to 10, they would get a 9. I lived there for a year and loved the area. Why? Perfect location. Zero crime. Your minutes from anywhere. LSU is maybe 10-15 min max(unless it's game day of course). Your rent at Warwick includes electricity and high-speed internet(I would call to verify it's still the same). Florida Blvd might be 2 miles from Warwick apts. If you work downtown, it will be a bit longer. The only negative I could really say about Warwick apts is the washer/dryer connections. Some apts have the connections in the closet. Ask about this if you seriously consider these apts. For a 2BR 1 1/2 bath townhouse style apt., I was paying $830 a month. It was going up to $880 if I had renewed my lease. I promise you, it was well worth it for the location alone. As far as location goes, Corporate and Jefferson is a great location, also known as the Bocage area. I agree with others, don't get too close to LSU(Tigerland mainly),unless you like to party all night.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,497 times
Thanks everyone for all the information, sorry for being gone for so long, forgot my login info. Ive been looking into some of the apartments listed on here and making notes of them. I also discovered my job is off of Florida blvd and Ardenwood drive so if you have any more suggestions please keep them coming, and I would prefer gated apartments and modern housing unit with swimming pool. I've read traffic on the highways can get quite severe, how's the traffic on florida blvd? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge