Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times

Advertisements

I've been asked my one of my co-workers to help coach a team 9-10 year olds at the local recreation center. I think it would be fun and wife encourages me to do it since we plan on having kids.

One thing. I have no idea how to coach a basketball team. Anyone have any tips on exercises? Moves? Should I make them do laps and then practice free throws? How do I coordinate such a young audience.

Another thing. I will be the only white person around. This recreation center is a heavily black neighborhood. I wish I could turn myself black, since I don't want the kids to think that only white people can have positions of power (like coaching). I also don't want to be called racist if I mess up or get on to a kid for doing something bad. I don't think any problems should arise from my race.

Any tips? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I'd just say have fun with them. The race thing should not at all be an issue. Most likely if someone tries to make it an issue, they are probably just some sensitive soul who needs to grow up.

I played on a couple of leagues when I was 10, we didn't get into sprints and other heavy-duty excersises until Middle school, and even those were nothing compared to High School. Did alot of layup and shooting drills. Also scrimmaged amongst the team as well, which was my favorite part of practice back then.

I think with things like moves and free-throws, that stuff comes later. Teach them how to dribble first-off.

Good Luck

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 04-18-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Really helpful post. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 AM

23 posts, read 130,223 times
I have coached for years, and can tell you twothings. First, at age 9-10, you want to be foocusing specifically on the basic fundamentals of basketball. You cant imagine by middle school how many kids cant dribble with their eyes up and with their non dominant hand! Work on basketball drills that focus on ball handling and passing. You will see by end of season it pays off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball