Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times

Advertisements

I've always considered Kobe the better player. IDK why. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Kobe and Shaq dominating. But as a Spurs fan, I always felt a sense of fear when going against Kobe and Shaq in the old days. Even during the finals last year, I never really feared LeBron the way I did Kobe back in the early 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,019,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I've always considered Kobe the better player. IDK why. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Kobe and Shaq dominating. But as a Spurs fan, I always felt a sense of fear when going against Kobe and Shaq in the old days. Even during the finals last year, I never really feared LeBron the way I did Kobe back in the early 2000s.
Well how did that no fear thing go for you? I do sort of understand what you mean. Honestly before LBj came to Miami I didn't feel like he was better than Kobe either an I felt that Wade was a real winner. That has all changed now as naturally it should as both Wade and Kobe got older. Wade still an elite player though. Unfortunately can't say the same about Kobe which really is a shame. He is one of the greatest.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,019,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
If you're suggesting that Bosh rebounds poorly because he's stretching the floor for Lebron and Wade...the best rebounder in the league is a jump shooter who's averaging 6.5 3-point attempts per game.

Bosh was a lot better 4 years ago, but still overrated and putting up stats on a bad team. He's an above average starting PF (playing at C now), nothing more. He's not near the player LaMarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan, or Zach Randolph are. He's nowhere near a "superstar."

Lebron, prime Duncan, prime Dirk, and other true superstars could win 60 games with that roster.

The same reason Gilbert Arenas is getting paid $23 million by the Magic this year while he plays for the Shanghai Sharks. The same reason Rashard Lewis was making $23 million a couple years ago averaging 11 ppg.

Ok, Bosh's contract is not nearly that bad. He's not too far removed from being a max guy but those are just 2 examples.

I was mainly talking about the finals where he averaged 13.4 ppg on 65.3 FG%.

For the first 3-peat he averaged 7 ppg, on 56% shooting inside the arc, 45% from the 3-point line playing < 30 mpg. Chalmers shoots 43% for his career in the playoffs.
You do know if Bosh continues his career averages and wins another championship or two he is no doubt a HALL OF FAME player. 1st or 2nd ballot he is in. Bosh is a very versatile guy, a very good defender for his size. No not defending the big guys which he does do pretty well but defending the pick and roll and guards. Not many PF/C in the league better than him at that. Bosh by far has sacrificed the most going to the Heat and that is not lost from many people. He would be considered an Elite superstar caliber guy on just about any other team.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,954,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You do know if Bosh continues his career averages and wins another championship or two he is no doubt a HALL OF FAME player. 1st or 2nd ballot he is in. Bosh is a very versatile guy, a very good defender for his size. No not defending the big guys which he does do pretty well but defending the pick and roll and guards. Not many PF/C in the league better than him at that. Bosh by far has sacrificed the most going to the Heat and that is not lost from many people. He would be considered an Elite superstar caliber guy on just about any other team.
Spoelstra seems to agree with you. He was recently quoted saying the following about Bosh: "an elite, elite defender in this league" who is "having as good a defensive year as a big has had recently."

Bosh often gets a lot of flack for not being as much of a banger as some big men, but he is still one of the elite big men in the NBA. How many teams have a center that can kill you from the three point line?

Like I mentioned earlier, subtract Lebron from the Heat and you still have a very good team.

PG Chalmers/Cole
SG Wade/Allen
SF Beasley/Battier
PF Birdman/Lewis
C Bosh/Oden

I have no doubt that is the 2nd best team in the eastern conference. With Wade looking healthy, I could see them giving the Pacers trouble...especially if Oden can give them 10-15 minutes per game.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,717,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
MJ>Magic>Larry>Kobe>LeBron

Larry is better than Lebron?

wow.

You/re kidding, right?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,954,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Larry is better than Lebron?

wow.

You/re kidding, right?
It's not hard to fathom. Most people have a bias toward modern players they've actually watched...for those under 30 that usually means Kobe or Lebron.

I don't believe any unbiased person would say "you're kidding" when you compare Bird against ANYONE to ever play the game of basketball - including Lebron James.

Larry's career didn't last as long as most of the all-time greats, but at his peak, he was a BAD, BAD MAN. Perhaps the best ever.

Here is the MVP voting during the 80s:

For a 8 year stretch, Bird:

- won college player of the year
- won THREE NBA MVPs - BACK-to-BACK-to-BACK
- finished 2nd in MVP voting THREE times
- won 3 NBA Championships
- 3x All-Defense 2nd team
- 2x NBA finals MVP

As you can see, peak vs peak, Bird can be compared to anyone. 86-87 is when Bird's body started to break down - he was only 30 years old. That's only 1 year older than Lebron James.

If not for playing in the 80s against possibly the best NBA team ever (Showtime Lakers), Bird would have likely won 2 more championships! Imagine a player having 5 rings at 30 yrs old.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
As a scorer I think Kobe is better. As an all around player, i'd give it to Lebron, especially based on his "D".

Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM

78,535 posts, read 60,718,007 times
With all the comments about athleticism it makes me chuckle when looking at which teams won today and which didn't....and whose QB was "so athletic" and whose wasn't.

Sorry to drag the NFL into this, just thought it was timely and ironic.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM

28 posts, read 29,928 times
Simply put, Kobe couldn't win without an elite big man: O'Neal, Gasol. No playoffs in 2005. Bounced in the first round in 2006 and 2007. He's never shot higher than 46.9% from the field, and his career AST/TO ratio is 1.6.

LeBron made it to the Finals in 2007, got past the first round five consecutive years 2006 - 2010 with an atrocious supporting cast. Sure, the East wasn't as competitive as the West, but he dominated some superb defensive teams. He's a career 49.4% shooter, and has shot 56.5% last year, and nearly 60% this year. His career AST/TO ratio is 2.12.

Now he has two titles with the Heat in two tough Finals matchups.

Was Kobe the better 1v1 scorer? Yes. Is he the better overall player? In my opinion, no.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCrab View Post
Simply put, Kobe couldn't win without an elite big man: O'Neal, Gasol. No playoffs in 2005. Bounced in the first round in 2006 and 2007. He's never shot higher than 46.9% from the field, and his career AST/TO ratio is 1.6.

LeBron made it to the Finals in 2007, got past the first round five consecutive years 2006 - 2010 with an atrocious supporting cast. Sure, the East wasn't as competitive as the West, but he dominated some superb defensive teams. He's a career 49.4% shooter, and has shot 56.5% last year, and nearly 60% this year. His career AST/TO ratio is 2.12.

Now he has two titles with the Heat in two tough Finals matchups.

Was Kobe the better 1v1 scorer? Yes. Is he the better overall player? In my opinion, no.
The 2012 matchup was a joke. Okc tinkled down the pants that series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball