Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Michael Jordan has had plenty of 1 hour specials. TNT aired 1 during all star break back in 03. His retirement, not 1, 2, but 3 times, each had a 15 min press conference. When he came out of retirement each time, there were plenty of specials including long end game press conferences talking with him about his first game back and how he felt.

But hey lets ignore everyone but Lebron...

The difference between the two is Jordan came back to the same team, Lebron left his.

Again, athletes have these type of specials all the time whether it is called "the Decision" or it is just an interruption of a 15-20 minute speech+questions or a scheduled 10-15 minute announcement on sportscenter... it is still the same thing.
You really think this is even close to the same thing? This is like saying a fender bender in a high school parking lot is the same thing as a 20 car pile up involving school buses on the interstate because they are "both car accidents"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Possible, but there's no guarantees. Any number of things could happen: perhaps another superteam emerges. Perhaps Dwight Howard joins Chicago and teams with Derrick Rose( that is a LETHAL combo). OKC is rising. The landscape of the NBA can change with one earth-shattering move( see Pau Gasol to Lakers, 2008). I have no doubt Miami will get better, fill out the roster. But they aren't the only team that will make moves, teams are always positioning themselves to improve. And, we have no way of knowing how Lebron will respond. His rep is in tatters at the moment. He went from Scottie Pippen proclaiming him the possible G.O.A.T, to being considered a GOAT, all in a two week span. Did he buckle under the weight? How will he respond? Stay tuned....

The reality is even making it to the finals isn't guaranteed, much less winning the whole thing. And Lebron, in this series, played with no sense of urgency, like he expects to be there for the next 10 years. You need to seize the moment when it's there to be seized. I really don't think Lebron did that this finals, for whatever reasons....
^I agree 100%. Howard to the Bulls would definitely be a game changer. I think he might actually be the best player in the league. (they have many valuable young guys to trade in exchange like Asik, Gibson etc....maybe they can unload boozer? lol.)

To put it another way...what kind of odds would you give me on a wager of the Heat winning at least 1 in the next five years? I'd put it at better than 50/50 they do but hey, Lebron could be eaten by a shark next week while swimming so anything can happen.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
To put it another way...what kind of odds would you give me on a wager of the Heat winning at least 1 in the next five years? I'd put it at better than 50/50 they do but hey, Lebron could be eaten by a shark next week while swimming so anything can happen.
Heck, the heat are 2/1 just for next year alone to win the title. If you get five years for them to win one title, you should be laying odds, not getting them...like you said, better then 50/50...way better.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
John Kasich: Honorary Member of Mensa

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:

I think he might actually be the best player in the league. (they have many valuable young guys to trade in exchange like Asik, Gibson etc....maybe they can unload boozer? lol.)

To put it another way...what kind of odds would you give me on a wager of the Heat winning at least 1 in the next five years? I'd put it at better than 50/50
I think Howard very well could be, at least the most valuable( that may or may not translate to being the 'best'). The difference now is he dedicated himself to diversifying his offensive game last summer. So the sky's the limit for him at this point.

It's hard for me to say what the odds are on at least 1 title. Frankly, you'd have to think that one title could be seen as an underachievement, considering you've got 2 of the top 5 players, and another top 20 player. I said at the beginning of the season, and I'll repeat here: this is going to be the worst version of this Heat team, at least until Wade falls out of his prime in 3-4 years. So for now, I think there's a solid 3-4 year window to be legit finals contenders every season, provided Lebron and Wade perform at least to their current standard( ideally Lebron will continue to improve..... cough cough POST GAME), Bosh finds his niche in the offense, the team fills in roster holes, and they get some semblance of a decent offense.

BUT, as I said before, they aren't the only team getting better. Rest assured that if Dwight Howard moves, the landscape will change again. If he goes to Chicago, and they can keep the majority of their core pieces, that's a possible dynasty. Same if he winds up in New York, and heck I even heard rumblings of him in OKC. Durant, Howard, AND Westbrook? Unfair. So yeah, tough to say. Any number of things can happen in the coming seasons. I mean really, 2 years ago, who'd have figured you'd see Wade and Lebron on the same team?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think Howard very well could be, at least the most valuable( that may or may not translate to being the 'best'). The difference now is he dedicated himself to diversifying his offensive game last summer. So the sky's the limit for him at this point.

It's hard for me to say what the odds are on at least 1 title. Frankly, you'd have to think that one title could be seen as an underachievement, considering you've got 2 of the top 5 players, and another top 20 player. I said at the beginning of the season, and I'll repeat here: this is going to be the worst version of this Heat team, at least until Wade falls out of his prime in 3-4 years. So for now, I think there's a solid 3-4 year window to be legit finals contenders every season, provided Lebron and Wade perform at least to their current standard( ideally Lebron will continue to improve..... cough cough POST GAME), Bosh finds his niche in the offense, the team fills in roster holes, and they get some semblance of a decent offense.

BUT, as I said before, they aren't the only team getting better. Rest assured that if Dwight Howard moves, the landscape will change again. If he goes to Chicago, and they can keep the majority of their core pieces, that's a possible dynasty. Same if he winds up in New York, and heck I even heard rumblings of him in OKC. Durant, Howard, AND Westbrook? Unfair. So yeah, tough to say. Any number of things can happen in the coming seasons. I mean really, 2 years ago, who'd have figured you'd see Wade and Lebron on the same team?
I agree with most of that...Howard is the giant wildcard right now.

I don't see Howard going to the Knicks, they have nothing to trade.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Michael Jordan has had plenty of 1 hour specials. TNT aired 1 during all star break back in 03. His retirement, not 1, 2, but 3 times, each had a 15 min press conference. When he came out of retirement each time, there were plenty of specials including long end game press conferences talking with him about his first game back and how he felt.

But hey lets ignore everyone but Lebron...

The difference between the two is Jordan came back to the same team, Lebron left his.

Again, athletes have these type of specials all the time whether it is called "the Decision" or it is just an interruption of a 15-20 minute speech+questions or a scheduled 10-15 minute announcement on sportscenter... it is still the same thing.
Please. When MJ came out of retirement, all he said was "I'm back". That was it.

Compare that short statement to LeBron's nauseating special where he held his team, his boss and his hometown fans hostage for almost an hour.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Please. When MJ came out of retirement, all he said was "I'm back". That was it.

Compare that short statement to LeBron's nauseating special where he held his team, his boss and his hometown fans hostage for almost an hour.
No one here is really defending Lebron. He has made a huge tool of himself over and over and over.

The IRONIC thing is that we are basically making fun of the insanity that he has spread to many Ohio folks including their own governor. He has created a pack of mini-lebrons in his wake that exude the same savy and class that is his trademark.

Ohio has major economic problems and your governor is spending his time on this? Seems like your state is in about as good of hands as the Cavs franchise.

The next 5-6 years will see Lebron deep in the playoffs each year about the time Cleveland is hoping for that lucky ping pong ball to give them another high draft pick. You guys might want to pace your hate and frustration.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
No one here is really defending Lebron. He has made a huge tool of himself over and over and over.

The IRONIC thing is that we are basically making fun of the insanity that he has spread to many Ohio folks including their own governor. He has created a pack of mini-lebrons in his wake that exude the same savy and class that is his trademark.

Ohio has major economic problems and your governor is spending his time on this? Seems like your state is in about as good of hands as the Cavs franchise.

The next 5-6 years will see Lebron deep in the playoffs each year about the time Cleveland is hoping for that lucky ping pong ball to give them another high draft pick. You guys might want to pace your hate and frustration.
ncopus99 seems to be defending LeBron over and over and over.

No need to tell others to pace themselves. You seem to be pretty involved in each LeBron thread as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

Hour? Try 5 minutes. He announced it 5 minutes into the special.

The Cavs couldn't provide him with a championship caliber team and so he left them. Sorry if that was your team. Cavs management and the people of Ohio are telling potential future players is you better not leave or else we will torch up your jersey and trash your name for years to come. If I was a potential player, no way I would ever touch that floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball