Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Why are there no weekend night games allowed? That's stupid. Does this law apply to the White Sox too?
No, only to the Cubs. The Cubs got special consideration in 1990, because they didn't want to install lights at all, and THE NETWORKS (The real czars of baseball) demanded that they install lights for post-season. The City of Chicago agreed only on condition that special rules would apply to prevent weekend night games in Wrigleyville during the regular season, when THE NEWTORKS don't really care, since they only televise Yankee games during the regular season.

If anybody besides THE NETWORKS had anything to say about it, there would still be no lights in Wrigley Field.

The only reason Baseball exists is to provide prime time programming talent for THE NETWORKS. The only reason they are talking about expanding the playoffs is to provide more revenue for THE NETWORKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, only to the Cubs. The Cubs got special consideration in 1990, because they didn't want to install lights at all, and THE NETWORKS (The real czars of baseball) demanded that they install lights for post-season. The City of Chicago agreed only on condition that special rules would apply to prevent weekend night games in Wrigleyville during the regular season, when THE NEWTORKS don't really care, since they only televise Yankee games during the regular season.

If anybody besides THE NETWORKS had anything to say about it, there would still be no lights in Wrigley Field.

The only reason Baseball exists is to provide prime time programming talent for THE NETWORKS. The only reason they are talking about expanding the playoffs is to provide more revenue for THE NETWORKS.
*Sigh* Your paranoid conspiracies are bizarre, especially when they're not even internally consistent. The networks forced the Cubs to put lights up at Wrigley, yet they don't care because they only televise Yankee games? Does this even make sense? In the 1980s there was only one network regularly covering Cubs games, and that was WGN. And yes, WGN wanted lights at Wrigley because they owned the Cubs (or more generally, the Tribune company owned both WGN and the Cubs). The team wanted lights at Wrigley. The Commissioner of Baseball wanted lights at Wrigley. The opposing teams wanted lights at Wrigley. The only people who didn't want lights at Wrigley were the city of Chicago and some die-hard traditionalists.

Anyways, thanks Keffanon for coming along 3 years later to answer my question. In those 3 years I still hadn't found the answer (though at some point I stopped looking), but now I know.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
*Sigh* Your paranoid conspiracies are bizarre, especially when they're not even internally consistent. The networks forced the Cubs to put lights up at Wrigley, yet they don't care because they only televise Yankee games?.
I made it perfectly clear. I'll try once more, just for your benefit.

The Cubs were never asked to put up lights until they were in contention for post-season play, when the Networks announced forcefully that they absolutely would not televise a day World Series game from Wrigley Field. So lights were hastily installed. The Networks didn't care if the Cube never played a regular season game at night, but MLB announced that if Wrigley did not put up lights and the Cubs made it to the WS, their home games would have to be played at Comiskey Park or some other lighted alternate venue, by order of the network.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I made it perfectly clear. I'll try once more, just for your benefit.

The Cubs were never asked to put up lights until they were in contention for post-season play, when the Networks announced forcefully that they absolutely would not televise a day World Series game from Wrigley Field. So lights were hastily installed. The Networks didn't care if the Cube never played a regular season game at night, but MLB announced that if Wrigley did not put up lights and the Cubs made it to the WS, their home games would have to be played at Comiskey Park or some other lighted alternate venue, by order of the network.
Reality check: the Tribune Company began its push to put up lights at Wrigley immediately after purchasing the franchise, years before they were in contention for anything other than "most hapless franchise in the history of baseball." And those "hastily installed" lights didn't go up until four years after they had last won the division. And it wasn't the networks who said they would have to play their home playoff games at a different venue, it was the Commissioner of Baseball. But other than that, your post was completely accurate.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
rolleyes:
Rolleyes yourself.

Why did the Commissioner think it was so crucially imperative to have all WS games played at night? What was His interest in that?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-23-2011 at 06:40 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM

I dunno, why don't you start your own thread about it instead of hijacking mine?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I dunno, why don't you start your own thread about it instead of hijacking mine?
Hijacking? Your 3 years old thread is about night games at Wrigley Field. I asked you why the commissioner cares if there are night games at Wrigley Field, which was your assertion, and you call it hijacking your thread. And then you say you "dunno" why the commissioner acted the way you said he did, and that asking that is "hijacking" your thread.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Hijacking? Your 3 years old thread is about night games at Wrigley Field.
Uh, no, the thread was about the getaway game rules.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the actual topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball