Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times

Advertisements

So what's the story with rowhouses in Baltimore. It seems that there are some REALLY nice ones that I am observing on google maps.

They seem to be in the southeastern part of Baltimore...what's the story with them? They look gorgeous, and look very liveable, and desireable

Are they expensive? What kind of crime rates do they have? Looks like a great neighborhood environment, pedestrian-friendly and very walkable. How late do the stores that are there stay open? Does it change in feel after dark? What's the whole story with them?

What's the name of those neighborhoods...do they have a general all-encompassing names...seems like they envelope several communities in that region...all predominately below US-40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,168,843 times
You might be talking about Canton. Along with some wonderfully rehabbed original houses are some really nice newly constructed townhouses. This is a great area if you're young and like to socialize - my daughter lives there. Lots of restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. Fairly safe - although there have been some highly publicized muggings over the last couple of years and a couple where the victims were hurt and one I recall was killed. Not saying this is acceptable, although it is pretty rare. This is Baltimore, after all.

My daughter's biggest complaints are the problems finding parking if she gets home after the crowds start coming in, and occasional crowd noise outside her door (she is in a ground floor apartment in one of the converted townhouses very close to the Square, which is on O'Donnell Street where many of the restaurants are located).

Some of the houses for sale are very pricey, although I understand they have come down a bit from the inflated prices of a few years ago. Still, I believe you could find a nicely rehabbed smaller house for $250,000 or so (others may want to chime in here, as this is an estimate). Property taxes in the city are much higher than in the surrounding counties.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM

167 posts, read 427,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So what's the story with rowhouses in Baltimore. It seems that there are some REALLY nice ones that I am observing on google maps.
The style of rowhomes that you were probably looking at were built, for the most part, in the very late 1800s or early 1900s, and surround the downtown core for a number of miles.

Crime is more influenced by the characteristics of the neighborhood rather than the type of housing stock, and can range from dirt cheap in the worst areas to $300-$500k in some of the areas of greatest interest.

Baltimore city's government runs an interactive map (i-map) of the city: Baltimore City Online Maps (http://www.baltimorecity.gov/residents/maps.php - broken link). You can use the controls to divide the city into neighborhoods.

Most retail stores close around 9 or 10. I've had no problem getting groceries until 11-12 at the nearby Shoppers supermarket, and Santoni's operates 24 hours a day. If you have a craving for prepared food or liquor, you can get the items until about 1-2 a.m. in many cases.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,613,568 times
Southeast Baltimore is more cohesive than other sections but I don't think they have the nicest rowhomes. For that, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, Charles Village are pretty fine. The southeast homes were built primarily for working-class. They are great rehabs though. Butchers Hill and along Baltimore Street across from the park are the nicest ones.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Southeast Baltimore is more cohesive than other sections but I don't think they have the nicest rowhomes. For that, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, Charles Village are pretty fine. The southeast homes were built primarily for working-class. They are great rehabs though. Butchers Hill and along Baltimore Street across from the park are the nicest ones.
I agree - the huge townhomes in Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill and Charles Village are beautiful. But I'm curious - are most of them still single family homes? Years ago (1970's) my sister lived in Bolton Hill, and at that time it seemed quite a few of the houses had been converted to apartments. The case seemed to be the same for Mt. Vernon. I don't know much about Charles Village.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
You might be talking about Canton. Along with some wonderfully rehabbed original houses are some really nice newly constructed townhouses. This is a great area if you're young and like to socialize - my daughter lives there. Lots of restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. Fairly safe - although there have been some highly publicized muggings over the last couple of years and a couple where the victims were hurt and one I recall was killed. Not saying this is acceptable, although it is pretty rare. This is Baltimore, after all.

My daughter's biggest complaints are the problems finding parking if she gets home after the crowds start coming in, and occasional crowd noise outside her door (she is in a ground floor apartment in one of the converted townhouses very close to the Square, which is on O'Donnell Street where many of the restaurants are located).

Some of the houses for sale are very pricey, although I understand they have come down a bit from the inflated prices of a few years ago. Still, I believe you could find a nicely rehabbed smaller house for $250,000 or so (others may want to chime in here, as this is an estimate). Property taxes in the city are much higher than in the surrounding counties.
That's the area. I also saw on google maps, some baby strollers as well. So maybe a mix of young people AND young families?

So, sounds like it's a popular place for a lot of people outside the neighborhood as well...if parking and crowds outside your daughter's door is commonplace?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthell View Post
The style of rowhomes that you were probably looking at were built, for the most part, in the very late 1800s or early 1900s, and surround the downtown core for a number of miles.

Crime is more influenced by the characteristics of the neighborhood rather than the type of housing stock, and can range from dirt cheap in the worst areas to $300-$500k in some of the areas of greatest interest.

Baltimore city's government runs an interactive map (i-map) of the city: Baltimore City Online Maps (http://www.baltimorecity.gov/residents/maps.php - broken link). You can use the controls to divide the city into neighborhoods.

Most retail stores close around 9 or 10. I've had no problem getting groceries until 11-12 at the nearby Shoppers supermarket, and Santoni's operates 24 hours a day. If you have a craving for prepared food or liquor, you can get the items until about 1-2 a.m. in many cases.
Yeah, I love the look of that style. I did notice that similar look throughout Baltimore. But it seems like most other areas also have heavily bordered up areas.

Late 1800s and early 1900s...nice...old, of course. But a lot of history, and the streets seem a more cozy and neighborhood-ish. Love the fact that appears that this part of Baltimore appears lively and people are living there, opening up businesses, as well as pedestrian-friendly, walkable, etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's the area. I also saw on google maps, some baby strollers as well. So maybe a mix of young people AND young families?

So, sounds like it's a popular place for a lot of people outside the neighborhood as well...if parking and crowds outside your daughter's door is commonplace?
Yes, Canton draws a lot of people from all over to its restaurants and bars. As for families, it's not uncommon to see couples with very young children, but from what I have seen there aren't a lot of school age kids and older. Baltimore City has some issues with its schools; not specific to this part of the city but in many neighborhoods, and a lot of people move out to the suburbs when their kids get to be school age.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM

775 posts, read 1,787,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I agree. The nicest rowhomes are not in the SE. There are some nice ones and many affordable ones, but to see really great homes look in the areas stated above.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,314,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I agree - the huge townhomes in Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill and Charles Village are beautiful. But I'm curious - are most of them still single family homes? Years ago (1970's) my sister lived in Bolton Hill, and at that time it seemed quite a few of the houses had been converted to apartments. The case seemed to be the same for Mt. Vernon. I don't know much about Charles Village.
Many of them have been converted, but many have not. my best friend owns a Bolton Hill brownstone (on John St.) and is rehabbing it. Very large, and very cool. He's got a buddy just down the same street that also has a nice rehabbed brownstone. So yeah, they are still available as single family occupancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: