Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM

103 posts, read 410,219 times

Advertisements

Figured the Baltimore forum would be more appropriate than the Maryland Forum. Anyway, anyone know anything about this "new" community? I went there today and saw 2 of their model homes. Seems like a pretty nice "planned" community from the demolished Kingsley Park.

I'm originally from Harford County so I know the general area but not the essex/middle river area too well. I'm looking in the 200k range and have looked everywhere from Bel Air/Harford County to Northern Baltimore City- seems like in this price range it's either find an older 1940ish bungalow house in the Parkville area that needs repair, or buy a brand new townhouse in this area. I'm single, late 20s, no kids. Seems real convenient to I95/695, White Marsh and even downtown.

The idea of a brand new place really appeals to me and the county is offering some pretty sweet incentives for that area too. The biggest downside is I work in northwest Baltimore City and the drive each day would take 695 top side which is usually backed up and the commute won't be much shorter than my current commute from just south of Bel Air.

Anyone know more about this particular development, or better yet plan on buying there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
You're right to be a little concerned about the commute. With all of the recent development in the Essex and Middle River area, as well as the White Marsh and Bel Air population growth, commutes to downtown have gotten much more congested and lengthy. When I moved to Middle River in 1993, my commute downtown by car took about 35 to 40 minutes during rush hour. By the time I retired this past May, that same trip could take as long as an hour and a half on some days.

And unlike other areas in the Baltimore vicinity, mass transit is not really an option. There is no light rail or metro, and a bus ride (even on the park n ride buses) are even worse than driving yourself.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

103 posts, read 410,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
And unlike other areas in the Baltimore vicinity, mass transit is not really an option. There is no light rail or metro, and a bus ride (even on the park n ride buses) are even worse than driving yourself.
But isn't the MARC commuter station right next to Martin State Airport? I'd hope I could use that if I ever got a job downtown or possibly DC.

I'm sort of in a bind- I originally was looking around Parkville because of it's central location and didn't really consider Essex because it's out of the way of my work. However a brand new house sure is appealig. But who knows what's going to happen in 5-10 years, might have a new job..

So it basically boils down to:
1) buy in Parkville- be closer to work and more of my friends in Harford County- have a small yard BUT the house will be much older and not qualify for any county assistance. Depending on the level of repairs needed it may stretch my budget.

OR 2) buy a townhouse in Essex- it will be brand new in a planned community that's supposed to promote walking and neighborhood/community bonding, it will be very affordable for me- but, very tiny, almost no yard, attached to neighbors, further away from work and friends. Ugh decisions!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
You're right about the MARC. That may be an option. I know lots of people use the MARC to commute to BWI airport and DC (I have done that myself when attending conferences and such - much more convenient than driving) but I hadn't thought about using it to commute to downtown Baltimore from this area. It only takes 15 to 20 minutes or so. Don't know about the cost to use it daily, and a lot of the trains don't stop here, so you need to check the schedule.

For what it's worth, there are plans to revitalize the Essex-Middle River area by creating a waterfront destination type of development near Martin's Lagoon (near the intersection of Eastern Blvd. and Martin Blvd.). IMO, it would be great if that really happened, and I know it would boost the property value in the area. Don't know if I'll live long enough to see it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore