Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 71,508 times

Advertisements

I have reviewed multiple threads and websites describing horror stories of experiences with Ryan Homes. However, it seems one-sided when none of the success stories are posted. I am considering purchasing in Belmont Station (Elkridge, MD). I know Rt 1 in Elkridge doesn't receive good reviews either, but it is tucked away behind businesses and seems pretty quiet/safe, away from the trailer parks and liquor stores, etc.

I am in my mid-20s, currently single with no kids and it seems like a good move, to start at least. So my question is two-fold (regarding Ryan Homes and that area of Elkridge) and directed particularly for any current or former residents of this community. Any feedback (both positive and negative preferably) would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,055 times
I'm in a similar situation... I'm in my mid-20s, single, and considering building a Ryan home (for me, in upstate New York), but I too have encountered the horror stories you described while doing initial Ryan Homes research online. It's puzzling and I'm not sure what to think. Either there is a real problem with Ryan Homes or these stories just represent the typical bad apples that a builder that does as much business as Ryan does is statistically bound to have.

It's possible that I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't come across any site that demonstrates in an organized manner that Ryan Homes indeed has a real, widespread quality problem. Such a site needs to present complaints from many unhappy customers, not just a really bad isolated case here or there, as many sites seem to do. Ideally, such a site should also present positive stories alongside complaints for comparison, as you suggested.

"Ryan Homes Stinks Emails," a page on HomeOwners for Better Building (hobb.org), seems to have to have collected potentially useful information from many parties, but instead of organizing the information in an easily reviewable way from which one can start to draw real conclusions, it just lists the raw text of the approximately 50 Ryan Homes complaint emails received [1]. In fact, in many of the emails, people express the same feelings you and I have -- shocked after reading the numerous nightmare emails, but wondering if/how there could really be such a serious problem with such a well-established company.

I too would really appreciate any feedback on this situation. Thanks in advance.

1. [url=http://www.hobb.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2006&Ite mid=349I]HomeOwners for Better Building - Ryan Homes Stinks Emails[/url]

Last edited by john2us; 06-29-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: cleanup

Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM

31 posts, read 110,179 times
Being a real estate paralegal I have seen this builder stiff people one time too many..they will start a sub development and pull out in the middle of it leaving all of the homeowners high and dry the house i purchased is a Ryan home in NC and the value was 750k so u can imagine my community graciously i got it for a loooooot cheaper bc Ryan pulled out and left a community not even a 4th complete and another stepped in and they just went bankrupt bc the homes could not sell compared to Ryan homes but Ryan did not finish our club house, tennis court walking trail gym or anything so now it looks somewhat like a scattered island bc it is only gonna be a few houses not cookie cutter in this upscale community..also there are tons of communities that they are left with bc the majority of the time Ryan does not own the land they purchase bulks of lots at a time an they have to wait for the city to approve it and then release it to sell to us..so the are not at a lost bc it is not their development they may got a lot released they may not and they cant build without the purchase and release from the city so they could take years to complete one community..say get another builder and especially in this economy..a lot of brokers and agents here are kind of staying away from Ryan bc of the bad repoir there are tons of people left high and dry down south and they are all the same LLC, just different offices don't let them tell you differently..i have a lot of behind the scenes bc of my field deal with a Real Estate Agent not the builder DON'T EVER DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE BUILDER...you may spend more in attorney fees than the home...lol..NEVER DEAL WITH A DIRECT BUILDER GET A BROKER OR AGENT..TRUST ME..WE HAVE TONS OF CASES BC OF THIS...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 94,352 times
Awhile back, I was looking at Belmont Station for the ones that are rentals. At the time, Ryan was still in the process of building some of the townhomes and you could tell the insulation material didn't look all that great.

You're right, that area of Elkridge is tucked behind and your close to the Shopping at Mont Rd/Rt1 and Columbia. You might also wanna look at Jessup for the new Townhomes they built there (think that was ryland, though).

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 16,936 times
i just purchase a home in elkridge crossing and these are the stacked townhomes, which mean some one lives in the two levels above me, and they said that they have a concreat slab in between the two units, but i find it hard to belive since i can here every dang thing above all the noise and stomping it is horrible is there any way out after a purchase it has only been 30 days, please help or am i stuck what can i do, is it possible to have them check to see if there is a slab of concreat that they claim is in between the units, will never belive ryan again, will buy from some one else in the near future.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Well, I went ahead and purchased with Ryan Homes. I was surprised that the price of resales in the surrounding areas were higher than building a new home. The location is convenient, and I spoke with a couple neighbors who praised the builder, the quality of their homes, and the neighborhood. I pray that all goes well, will keep you updated!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 26,420 times
Eden- Which community did purchase in?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 34,601 times
Default Why dont people just ask?

I dont understand -- why dont you talk to existing home owners and ask them if they are happy with Ryan homes?

If not, don't buy, if they are, then chances are you will be ok.

I have a Ryan home. Quality is like any other commercial builder. Customer service depends on the project manager, like any other commercial builder.

All these builders want to quickly build, get their money, make sure the house stays ok for one year, and then move on. That is the way the industry is. If you dont like this, buy an older home or custom build.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Dangle13 - Belmont Station

Superair - In which Ryan community did you buy?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 39,736 times
Default Ryan Homes - Matisse Problem/Don't purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwonder67 View Post
i just purchase a home in elkridge crossing and these are the stacked townhomes, which mean some one lives in the two levels above me, and they said that they have a concreat slab in between the two units, but i find it hard to belive since i can here every dang thing above all the noise and stomping it is horrible is there any way out after a purchase it has only been 30 days, please help or am i stuck what can i do, is it possible to have them check to see if there is a slab of concreat that they claim is in between the units, will never belive ryan again, will buy from some one else in the near future.
I purchased a Matisse model in Park Place at Red Run Mills in Owings Mills. I, too, was promised cement/concrete between the two condos. I was told that I would not hear my upstairs neighbors because of this. This was a lie. I also hear my neighbors through our adjoining walls in my living room, kitchen and master bedroom. I can hear their conversations through my vents in my two small bedrooms. There must be an acoustical problem as well. I hear conversations behind my master bathroom toilet, even though their landing and stairwell is not there. The only places in my home that seem to be constructed properly, as far as sound transference is concerned, are my downstairs half bath and the wall attached to the neighboring Matisse unit.
My story gets even better. They sold the upstairs Picasso unit to a mother with 5 children. I can hear the mother because she is quite loud and her children run, jump and yell. My ceilings and floors shake. Apparently, she was not told by Ryan that there are limits. Loud noises are one thing, but I can hear them talking at regular volumes as well. I've hear them reading books, saying I love you, and just regular conversation, all things that are not screamed.

The tile floors in the above unit also cause problems. If they pull out a chair and it screeches, the sound goes through my whole upstairs. Anything dropped does the same. I can hear their cabinets opening and closing. It is truly crazy. I do know that other people in my development are having similar problems with their ceilings. I unfortunately have the noise through my walls as well. Everyone may. I just have so many people above me therefore I have much more opportunity to hear the noise. When I first moved in,the mother told me she heard everything that a contractor and I had said through our adjoining downstairs wall. We were not speaking loudly. I do not have privacy in my home.

Ryan came out and told me that this was all normal. It was a whirlwind of b.s. I did not believe the stories I heard about Ryan prior to purchasing. I wish that I had.

Please, Smallwonder67 contact me. Anyone else experiencing this problem, please contact me at tracjal@aol.com. Please reference Matisse in the subject field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore