Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 45,759 times

Advertisements

The lease I am currently working on getting finalized has a section included for repair deductibles. It was explained to me that if something breaks and/or needs repair the tenant is responsible for the first __ amount of dollars, in this case 60.

I have never had one of these in the past, and speaking with family members who have lived in Atlanta, DC and New York they were also unfamiliar with this. My issue with it is I have no idea the condition of all the plumbing, appliances, heating, etc and would only see paying a deductible appropriate if it were do to my excessive use/negligence.

I have yet to sign anything for this part and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on these as I've been told its a common thing in Baltimore leases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 109,927 times
I don't live in Baltimore but have rented for the last 10 years and have never heard of such a thing.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,368 times
My family had one like that 15 years ago in Faifax VA...So I just ignored the broken screen door and other little problems that I could live with , because I did not want to pick up the $50 payment in our lease. But when we left, landlord fixed all those things and charged me for it . Make sure everything is working , and notify landlord immediatly if you find a problem that was already there so you can work it out may be it will work out better for you.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 45,759 times
turns out to not be a big deal at all, just sounded strange to begin with.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,210 times
As both a former landlord and former renter in Baltimore, I've never heard of that. The standard terms of the leases were that if something broke from normal wear and tear, the landlord fixed it; if it broke b/c the tenant did something stupid, the tenant paid (or it was taken from their deposit).

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times
I recently signed a lease in Rockville, MD, and it has such a term. In my case, the repair deductible is $50.

It's really odd. I think this may be a way for the landlord to deter the tenant from requesting repair work, as a way to save money.

However, the landlord should be responsible for regular maintenance, which is paid for in monthly rent by the tenant.

I think the best way to avoid the fees may be to do a thorough walk-through before moving in, and point out anything that needs repair. However, the landlord may charge deductible(s) anyway.

Since the building is only 8 years old, I probably should not worry. However, in case important equipment breaks down and needs repair, I really don't know how to handle the situation. Any advice?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,525 times
It is NOT to deter you from contacting the landlord! If you break something in the house while living there due to negligence or abuse, you generally have to pay the first $50 or whatever the repair deductible is.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
It is NOT to deter you from contacting the landlord! If you break something in the house while living there due to negligence or abuse, you generally have to pay the first $50 or whatever the repair deductible is.
What if it's not my fault and it needs repair? Will I have to pay $50 deductible?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,525 times
Depends on the LL. I don't charge mine if that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: