Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 08:45 AM

33 posts, read 165,169 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was just wondering if I start from the MT. Washington Light Rail stop and wanted to go to say, Fells Point or Canton. Is it possible via the Light Rail, and if so, which stop should I get off at?

I just wanted to find a way to go into the city without driving, if perhaps I have visitors and we want to go out and have a few drinks (and not drive).

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
The light rail goes down Howard Street in downtown-straight shot south. You would have to walk it over to Fells Point. Other options would be the water taxi, bus, or cab.
I actually do that exact trip many times and prefer the walk along the waterfront as a way to unwind after work.
If you are drinking in Canton, Fells Point---take a cab to the light rail stop by the stadium to get home.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Is the walk over to Fells Point safe during the night time hours?

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks jonjj, I am looking at the light rail map right now and I am not sure where Howard Street is, as in, what actual stop. I just moved here so I am unfamiliar with street names. Would that be the Lexington Market stop?http://http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/schedule/ (broken link)

Old 08-09-2008, 11:55 AM

You would want to continue on the light rail to the stadium stop. That would be the closest exit to Fells Point. From there, just walk along the harborfront. There are plenty of people around that area during the evening. Yes, the walk to Fells Point is fine at night but stay close to the waterfront while you do that. I walk Lancaster Street over to Inner Harbor East coming from Fells Point and that leads right to the Inner Harbor. Now, if you are going to be out really late, better cab it.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms400 View Post
Thanks jonjj, I am looking at the light rail map right now and I am not sure where Howard Street is, as in, what actual stop. I just moved here so I am unfamiliar with street names. Would that be the Lexington Market stop?http://http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/schedule/ (http://http//www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/schedule/ - broken link)

Howard Street runs parellal (not sure on that spelling) to Charles---about three blocks over. The light rail runs right down the middle of it. Getting off at Lexington Market is fine during the day or early evening; but I wouldn't recommend it for late at night.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Ok, thank you. Your info has helped. I have found some useful maps.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
Federal Hill would be a closer area to go bar hopping via the light rail than either Fells Pt. or Canton. You could just walk east on Conway or Pratt, and then a few blocks south on Charles to a pretty lively bar scene near Cross St. There are also some bars at Camden Yards that are fun, especially on game nights (even if you don't have a ticket). On another thread someone mentioned Quigley's in Ridgely's Delight. It's a cool low-key pub near the stadium.

Fells would probably be a slightly less than 2-mile walk from the light rail stops at either Camden Yards or the convention center (they're basically right next to each other). Canton would be closer to 3 miles. Both would be a nice walk on a good-weather day, but it might be more of a hike than you intended. You could easily catch a cab near one of the hotels on Pratt St. for a few dollars if you don't feel like walking. I'd also recommend taking a cab rather than walking if you're out late. The whole harbor area is very safe but why take chances, especially if you've had a few drinks.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Ok, thank you so much. All your info has really helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore