Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,734 times

Advertisements

Hello!

27 year old Court Stenographer. Just recently finished school and I have grown TIRED of nyc. The congestion, the overpriced “closets” that they offer as apartments; it’s just too MUCH. I’m newly engaged and my fiancé and I would like a fresh start in a more rurual state. We want residential and not city. NOTHING like NyC would be perfect. We just don’t think you get your moneys worth here in nyc. Also, We plan to start a family soon so someplace with great a great educational system is a MUST. affordability is a factor as well.

We were thinking Baltimore county, since we have family that live in the county (Lochearn) and Love it. We frequently visit but I want to know more about the ins and outs. Best affordable neighborhoods, best areas for schools, EMPLOYMENT.

As I stated before, I just finished school and I’m not too familiar with court stenographer employment in other states.

Any of you familiar with court stenography employment in the DMV area? If so could you please elaborate on how people live in Baltimore and work in th DC area? I’ve heard this people during my research and wanted to know more about it. Maybe I’ll be one of those people.

My fiancé is in the Tlc business and drives taxi. anyone know what employment is like for tlc in the Baltimore County area?

We have savings to which we plan to invest for a down payment on a house. Just don’t know WHERE and if so WHY.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

7,240 posts, read 11,557,246 times
Here is the website that advertises the state court jobs

https://careers.mdcourts.gov/psp/hrp...ath%2cIsFolder

From the salaries I see here, and my experience about 7 years ago working with the court system, these salaries look about right. Most courthouse jobs are 30-50k and not scaled for standard of living in the state. Court reporter (which is what I believe we call the job in Maryland) is more towards the high end, but you may be waiting a while for that specific job to come open.

I don't how much your fiance makes, or how much you have saved, but courthouse jobs in Maryland may not serve you too well house hunting in Baltimore County. I will let the locals with more knowledge of housing prices take it from there.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM

34,283 posts, read 83,769,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine_Simone View Post
27 year old Court Stenographer. Just recently finished school and I have grown TIRED of nyc.
We were thinking Baltimore county, since we have family that live in the county (Lochearn) and Love it.
That's a better raw start than 90% who show up.

Quote:
Any of you familiar with court stenography employment in the Metro Baltimore area?
Each County has a CIRCUIT Court and several DISTRICT Courts.

Quote:
My fiancé is in the Tlc business...
no idea what that even is

Quote:
If so could you please elaborate on how people live in Baltimore and work in the DC area?
They choose homes with easy commute paths. But they get the jobs first.

Quote:
We have savings to which we plan to invest for a down payment on a house.
Just don’t know WHERE ...
You are YEARS away from buying a house.

I'd say at least two years for both of you to get hired into decent jobs and KNOW they're solid
while you make some friends and learn your way around. THEN look.

Until then? Rent.

Quote:
Also, We plan to start a family soon so...
so... you're AT LEAST six years from needing schools.
Take it one bridge at a time and that's the LAST one.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Thank you

Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a better raw start than 90% who show up.

Each County has a CIRCUIT Court and several DISTRICT Courts.

no idea what that even is

They choose homes with easy commute paths. But they get the jobs first.

You are YEARS away from buying a house.

I'd say at least two years for both of you to get hired into decent jobs and KNOW they're solid
while you make some friends and learn your way around. THEN look.

Until then? Rent.

so... you're AT LEAST six years from needing schools.
Take it one bridge at a time and that's the LAST one.
Tlc is Taxi Limousine Commission. He has 2 vehicles: one he drives doing taxi and one he rents out to do taxi in NYC. And we’re tired of throwing our money into a black whole as far as renting in nyc. We’ve each established pretty good credit and have money saved for at least a down payment like I’ve stated. Buying the house isn’t the problem where and how to maintain it is. Which is why I inquired about employment for my field.

The court systems are always the go-to for any stenographer but we also have the option to freelance doing depositions and other legal proceedings. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about the field out there in general.

But thank you.
I appreciate the advise.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 AM

34,283 posts, read 83,769,697 times
I'll be more specific.

WHEREVER you might be from and WHEREVER you might want to move to...
relocating people can't expect to line up a good job before moving there; let alone two good jobs.

REGARDLESS of how good the jobs you eventually line up might be...
until in place there a while (no less than one year) NO ONE should commit to a mortgage.

COMBINED ...these truisms dictate RENTING for the first year at least; two years commonly.
Without any children in the household your location choices have 10X the variety. Focus on lower cost choices.

Quote:
Buying the house isn’t the problem where and how to maintain it is.
Neither of which can possibly be known for quite a while to come. Right? (1-2 years at minimum)
Don't assume anything about a job or a neighborhood or anything else until YOU'VE lived it.

If you would rather work in the DC metro area (vs Baltimore) then start there even if you have family/friends
in Baltimore (Lochearn). Just be sure you can earn enough to actually stay in DC (higher rents).

Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM

7,240 posts, read 11,557,246 times
I should point out there is a Federal Court in Baltimore, and D.C. should have lots of stenographer/recorder type jobs for Admin. Agency hearings.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'll be more specific.

WHEREVER you might be from and WHEREVER you might want to move to...
relocating people can't expect to line up a good job before moving there; let alone two good jobs.

REGARDLESS of how good the jobs you eventually line up might be...
until in place there a while (no less than one year) NO ONE should commit to a mortgage.

COMBINED ...these truisms dictate RENTING for the first year at least; two years commonly.
Without any children in the household your location choices have 10X the variety. Focus on lower cost choices.

Neither of which can possibly be known for quite a while to come. Right? (1-2 years at minimum)
Don't assume anything about a job or a neighborhood or anything else until YOU'VE lived it.

If you would rather work in the DC metro area (vs Baltimore) then start there even if you have family/friends
in Baltimore (Lochearn). Just be sure you can earn enough to actually stay in DC (higher rents).
The fact that you don’t agree with the idea of initially buying instead of renting is fine. I didn’t create this post to see if I should rent or own; I simply wanted to know about different areas and get an insight on the commuters who travel to DC from Baltimore as far as work. Want to know about employment. I hear dc has a lot of litigation which could benefit my profession, if I so chose to take that path. IM TRYING TO LEARN ALL OPTIONS. (Hence the reason I created this post) I shared a little info just to give my chances of a fair response a shot.
So far you’ve managed to only write me lengthy comments and have expressed nothing but the fact that I should rent and not buy.

Thank you, I appreciate you’re wise counse, but I’d wish to hear from the others.

God bless!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I should point out there is a Federal Court in Baltimore, and D.C. should have lots of stenographer/recorder type jobs for Admin. Agency hearings.
Thank you!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Hi there,

I really don’t know anything about the professional options specifically, however we’ve been researching the schools in and around the area for a couple of years now. If you want the option of commuting to DC regularly but want to stay in Baltimore County then I might recommend Catonsville. It has some pretty solid schools, a mix of quaint old houses and some more modern options, a nice library on its main road and it’s just over the line from historic Ellicott City/Howard County on one side and Baltimore City on the other. It’s right off of 695 too, so not as horrible a commute by car, though you might want to take the train from near-ish Greenbelt, I think.

Now, just over that Howard County line, you have access to some of the highest rated schools in the state. The housing is pricier over there, but it’s a great location and some deals can be found, especially in say Elkridge, and it’s still 20 minutes to downtown Baltimore from there.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore