Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 PM

68 posts, read 86,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
So after much research, we have decided against a long commute. We can not afford the type of home we need in Columbia, where my husband will be working so are looking at Baltimore suburbs, city (in safer areas not near city center), county or Anne Arundel County. What areas should we be looking into? Pikesville, Cantonsville and even Anne arundell county(would love suggestions there too) are what we are looking at now, they seem relatively safe, am I right thinking that? I home school so schools are not a huge issue, except for resale value of the home. My son is special needs and will spend a fair amount of time at John Hopkins, so I would like to be somewhat close to them (within 45 min-1hr), so even if there is an emergency, I could get him there. We are white and though, I have no qualms with a diverse area, I do not want to be in a largely one demographic area that we would not fit in. Thank you so much!!!

Budget $385k
SAFE AREA!!!!!
1900 sqft+
fenced back yard (or capable of fencing)
Commutable by 45min-1hr to Columbia mall area
Commutable to John Hopkins for my son
Would like an area that has somewhat stable home market value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
We can not afford the type of home we need in Columbia, where my husband will be working...
That will makes things very tough because Columbia itself is often the least expensive path in the area.
iow... you'll have to go pretty far to find "the type of home we need" for appreciably if any less.
When you add the costs of commuting let alone the time/aggravation of it...
Quote:
Pikesville, Catonsville and N Anne Arundel county...?
Yeah. Like those areas.

Quote:
Budget $385k
With that budget you shouldn't be unable t find it in Columbia itself.
That said... I wouldn't look farther than Catonsville (where I lived for 30 years).
---

Trulia lists 45 3BR homes in 21228 betw $250,000 and $400,000.
http://tinyurl.com/htcjmbp

I like this one best:
https://www.trulia.com/property/3247...ville-MD-21228

Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,798 times
I still think the Mt Airy or Sykesville areas would be a good fit and the homes would hold onto their value. If you look in Catonsville, look close to Howard County and not in the Security area. From some of your other posts, I don't think Pikesville or Randallstown would work. I would say Pasadena in Anne Arundel would also be a good fit, but Rt 100 during rush hour can be a parking lot.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM

123 posts, read 144,291 times
Catonsville is a good option. There are some houses in Columbia that seem to meet your requirements in zip codes 21044 and 21046. Here are two I just found:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Columbia/1...4/home/9932377

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Columbia/8...6/home/9987171

Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 PM

122 posts, read 169,523 times
In Catonsville I would look outside the Beltway in the Frederick Rd corridor neighborhoods, all the way to the Howard County line. Friend's daughter bought a flip west of a Rolling Road, just east of Frederick Road last spring for $390,000s -4 beds 2.5 baths. And I know another young couple recently bought in that area. Does your square footage requirement include basement? In Maryland only above ground space used to be counted and used as living space.

That area would be a 20 - 30 minute commute max to the Columbia mall. And commute to JHH would not be bad at all.

I cannot comment on Anne Arundel county as my knowledge of that area is not recent.

I am going to throw this out there- have you looked at White Marsh, Perry Hall areas of Baltimore county? Great area, very close to Hopkins, commute to Columbia would be an hour or so, maybe more.

I cannot imagine the anxiety of buying in a completely unknown area. I have lived in Baltimore area most of my life - not a realtor, but if I can help in any way am more than willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Catonsville would be my suggestion as well; there are some nice options there within your budget. It will give you a nice commute into Hopkins. If you're willing to live a little further out, check out Sykesville or Eldersburg in Carroll County (to the north/west of Baltimore). South of Baltimore, I'd look at Gambrills (specifically the Four Seasons neighborhood). If you're willing to consider a townhouse (some have fenced in yards) that might open up your options more. I know there isn't much on the market right at the moment in Columbia, but I still think that is a reasonable option given your budget. Also in Anne Arundel County, Millersville has some affordable options. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCoMom View Post
Does your square footage requirement include basement? In Maryland only above ground space used to be counted and used as living space.
Awesome point; so glad you brought this to the OP's attention. I wouldn't look at homes and rule them out on the internet based on square footage alone for the reason listed above. Not only that, the layout can make a huge difference. Also, the square footage listed may not be correct.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Yes I was including basement in the sqft floorplan (I dont need 3000+sqft to clean). So are you saying that it is not included when they list on MRS? Ive never lived in a basement-able area. Here any livable sqftage must be listed in the MRIS.

I know it is scary to buy in an unfamiliar area, and we may rent, but that looks almost impossible. Apartments and townhouses aren't really an option as we would rather have a home with 2 large dogs and 3 kids. We have German Shepherds, and no matter how trained and well mannered they are, property managers look down on them, even with pet liability insurance. My dogs are a part of the family, so not having them is NOT an option. Plus we are military, and have been living in mil housing forever, we know this area will be a good place for my son, with JHH being such a good hospital, and be a good area for my husband to find a job when he gets out after this tour. He is highly qualified and has many options all over the area, so we just want to plant roots and be home. We are tired of feeling like this is just a place for us to sleep, and our stuff to sit. Hope that makes sense.

I have been keeping an eye on homes in Columbia, but from what I have seen it looks very expensive compared to the other areas I mentioned. Maybe its just whats available now, but I am not seeing Columbia being cheaper than Pikesville or Cantonsville. I have found a handful of homes in those areas that fit our needs, that look to be in safe areas, whereas Columbia I have found 2.

I am definitely still considering Sykesville and Mt Airy, but homes are even more limited there (better than Columbia though), I just didn't realize that area was part of the Balt. forum, so I didn't mention it.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCoMom View Post
I am going to throw this out there- have you looked at White Marsh, Perry Hall areas of Baltimore county? Great area, very close to Hopkins, commute to Columbia would be an hour or so, maybe more.

I cannot imagine the anxiety of buying in a completely unknown area. I have lived in Baltimore area most of my life - not a realtor, but if I can help in any way am more than willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Thank you, I may take you up on that! It is quite scary, but as I stated above, we know its time.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:34 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
OP, have you considered Elkridge? It would fit your location requirements very well, for both Columbia and Johns Hopkins. It's an odd paradox that some of the smallest houses have the biggest yards, especially the ones located on some of the main thoroughfares like Montgomery Road. Prices in general tend to be lower than other areas of Howard County, excluding the larger houses in the western parts of "town" (such as the golf course community of Lyndwood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore