Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, one thing I put first is my safety. One reason there are places I won't live in.
You know how you feel but everyone has a different crime tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 PM

912 posts, read 914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
No. My point is that you are more likely to die living in the suburbs than the inner city, as the combined accident death rate and murder rate is much higher for people that choose to live in suburban and exurban areas than the combined accident death rate and murder rate for people that choose to live in cities. It's not confusing at all.

Anecdotally speaking, think about all the fatal accidents and think about all the murders. Which do you think is more numerous? And which do you think people/news pays more attention to?
Can you prove that with statistics, because the numbers I'm looking at say you are wrong?

There were 21 homicides in Baltimore County in 2014 and there were 188 vehicle deaths in *all* of Maryland (not just Baltimore County) in 2014.

Alternatively, there were 210 homicides in Baltimore City in 2014.

So even if every single fatal car crash that happened in the state of Maryland had actually happened only in Baltimore County, and you attribute none of those car crashes to Baltimore City, Baltimore City would *still* have a higher death rate than Baltimore County.

Which is safer again? It sounds to me like you have a fear of cars. Live in the city where you can walk, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:55 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
You know how you feel but everyone has a different crime tolerance.
Well, I have low tolerance for a high violent crime rate. I don't like being in a place and being scared.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Can you prove that with statistics, because the numbers I'm looking at say you are wrong?

There were 21 homicides in Baltimore County in 2014 and there were 188 vehicle deaths in *all* of Maryland (not just Baltimore County) in 2014.

So even if every single fatal car crash that happened in the state of Maryland had actually happened only in Baltimore County, and you attribute none of those car crashes to Baltimore City, Baltimore City would *still* have a higher death rate than Baltimore County.

Which is safer again? It sounds to me like you have a fear of cars. Live in the city where you can walk, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
There is another thingto look at. Not all suburbs ate created the same. I'll use Atlanta as an example, because that's the metro I live in.

Take Marietta for example. Parts of it are walkable. The square is walkable, to an extent. I live further out. It is not walkable where I live. No sidewalks, and from my subdivision , it's one lane in each direction. I would expect to get killed in a car accident there. Not pedestrian friendly and there are alot of wreckless drivers. Large "redneck " contingency out there. College Park, a suburb south of Atlanta, is the most violent city in GA.

In a suburb like Marietta, there is a lesser chance of a car accident. It's relatively more compact. Driving is different. In Atlanta, crime depneds on where I go. Buckhead, Vinings, Midtown feel quite safe. Areas along MLK Drive, Bankhead, not that safe.

No 2 suburbs are the same, no two parts of the city ate the same. This applies to Baltimore too.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
There is another thingto look at. Not all suburbs ate created the same. I'll use Atlanta as an example, because that's the metro I live in.

Take Marietta for example. Parts of it are walkable. The square is walkable, to an extent. I live further out. It is not walkable where I live. No sidewalks, and from my subdivision , it's one lane in each direction. I would expect to get killed in a car accident there. Not pedestrian friendly and there are alot of wreckless drivers. Large "redneck " contingency out there. College Park, a suburb south of Atlanta, is the most violent city in GA.

In a suburb like Marietta, there is a lesser chance of a car accident. It's relatively more compact. Driving is different. In Atlanta, crime depneds on where I go. Buckhead, Vinings, Midtown feel quite safe. Areas along MLK Drive, Bankhead, not that safe.

No 2 suburbs are the same, no two parts of the city ate the same. This applies to Baltimore too.
That's a great theory and all, but numbers don't lie. Sweet theory, though. The fact is, you have a much higher chance of death in the city than the county. It's a proven fact. Not every city or every county is the same, but last I checked, we're talking in the Baltimore boards. If someone would like to show me numbers that the reverse is the case, I'll entertain that, but so far that hasn't been done.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:58 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Quote:

In the case of Baltimore, there is an increased chance of being a victim of a crime and car accident in the city than in the county all across the board.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Lol... Pikesville, Towson, Catonsville Ya right.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
That's a great theory and all, but numbers don't lie. Sweet theory, though. The fact is, you have a much higher chance of death in the city than the county. It's a proven fact. Not every city or every county is the same, but last I checked, we're talking in the Baltimore boards. If someone would like to show me numbers that the reverse is the case, I'll entertain that, but so far that hasn't been done.
My point was that no two suburbs are created equal. There are statistics, and then how those statistics are broken down. I understand I might be more likely to die in a car accident in suburbia than in the city, and less likely to die of murder in suburbia than in the city.

That said, the statistics don't take into account which and where. In a city like Atlanta, there is a moderately high murder rate, 18.9 murders per 100,000. It's not Baltimore. At the same time, Atlanta could do better. That said, I know Atlanta. I know where to go, and where not to go in Atlanta. In my cases, my commute goes through the worst parts of Atlanta. I know that after 5PM, I don't hang around those areas. I get out and get back home. I know my chances of getting murdered in Buckhead, Midtown, or Vinings are far less than in parts of southwest Atlanta.

I also know that with murder, College Park is the most violent suburb of the Atlanta area. I also know that it's MORE violent than Atlanta city. It is also a smaller city so I will have a smaller area to work with. Unless I'm very wealthy, it would be difficult to shield myself from the crime and the possibility of getting murdered.

Compton is actually a suburb of Los Angeles. Compton is scarier than parts of Los Angeles. Statistics speak of numbers. It doesn't always tell the whole story. It goes with car accidents and murder.

In the case of Detroit, I have heard that there aren't that many nice areas at all. There are also suburbs of Detroit with big crime problems. It depends on where you go.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
My point was that no two suburbs are created equal. There are statistics, and then how those statistics are broken down. I understand I might be more likely to die in a car accident in suburbia than in the city, and less likely to die of murder in suburbia than in the city.

That said, the statistics don't take into account which and where. In a city like Atlanta, there is a moderately high murder rate, 18.9 murders per 100,000. It's not Baltimore. At the same time, Atlanta could do better. That said, I know Atlanta. I know where to go, and where not to go in Atlanta. In my cases, my commute goes through the worst parts of Atlanta. I know that after 5PM, I don't hang around those areas. I get out and get back home. I know my chances of getting murdered in Buckhead, Midtown, or Vinings are far less than in parts of southwest Atlanta.

I also know that with murder, College Park is the most violent suburb of the Atlanta area. I also know that it's MORE violent than Atlanta city. It is also a smaller city so I will have a smaller area to work with. Unless I'm very wealthy, it would be difficult to shield myself from the crime and the possibility of getting murdered.

Compton is actually a suburb of Los Angeles. Compton is scarier than parts of Los Angeles. Statistics speak of numbers. It doesn't always tell the whole story. It goes with car accidents and murder.

In the case of Detroit, I have heard that there aren't that many nice areas at all. There are also suburbs of Detroit with big crime problems. It depends on where you go.
I understand your point but once again, Atlanta, Detroit and Compton are not Baltimore. We could go into discussion about the suburbs of Baltimore and dissect each area and its crime rate. Each way we examine the situation, Baltimore City is more dangerous in every fashion than Baltimore County.

* Hence why we participate in this forum. To discuss and gather idea's on how to live a simply life in such a city.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I understand your point but once again, Atlanta, Detroit and Compton are not Baltimore. We could go into discussion about the suburbs of Baltimore and dissect each area and its crime rate. Each way we examine the situation, Baltimore City is more dangerous in every fashion than Baltimore County.

* Hence why we participate in this forum. To discuss and gather idea's on how to live a simply life in such a city.
I agree (couldn't rep you again yet). No matter how you slice it, Balto. Co. is safer than Balto. City. I've already posted strong numbers to support that (as if anyone that's ever lived in Baltimore would even need numbers to prove that point).

Again, no two cities are the same (and the points about Atlanta, if true, make sense for that situation). But while some might be exceptions to the rule, in many cases, cities are more dangerous than counties and rural areas. And in this particular thread, we are talking about Baltimore, and that is absolutely the case in Baltimore.

To the person wanting to toss in fatal car crashes to argue that the county is less safe than the city (a creative argument but worth examining), well, I included those numbers and they still don't top the death toll in the city without even accounting for fatal car crashes in the city.

No matter how you look at it, Baltimore City is simply less safe than Baltimore County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore