Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Where did Dawn Davenport, Gator Nelson, and Aunt Ida live?
In the mind of John... a nice boy from a nice suburban neighborhood.

Sometime in the early 70's John did a PSA for the local art house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnpofBtijF8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 PM

148 posts, read 302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Last time I was in Baltimore cab driver told me" We don't have many white people in the city of Baltimore, watch where you go". Still not the most dangerous city I ever been to, Camden NJ, Flint MI and Gary IN were worst pound for pound.
I think it's like 60 black 30 white 10 other.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 PM

389 posts, read 427,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
So which is the bad one, brooklyn or brooklyn park? What about Canton? Hampden? Highlandtown? Lost from least to most rough? Also have you guys had a hipster invasion ? (Hope not!)
Canton= affluent

Hampden= middle class caucasian folks but more affluent folks moving in

Highlandtown= mostly hispanic

Yes, more and more hipsters are moving to Baltimore and I don't mind at all.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
Canton= affluent

Hampden= middle class caucasian folks but more affluent folks moving in

Highlandtown= mostly hispanic

Yes, more and more hipsters are moving to Baltimore and I don't mind at all.

Well I have no skin in the game since I don't live in Baltimore and my experience with the city consists of going through the Fort McHenrh Tunnel omw to Florida from NYC, but that makes me unhappy to here because I was halfway considering Baltimore as somewhere to move down from New York where I get better prices, cool architecture, an easy drive "home" to NY and to family down in Florida, and a city that is mostly working class and doesn't have many hipsters or even transplants/people from outside the area living in the city unless they were affiliated with JHU.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
I lived in Essex, Middle River and few other white enclaves in Baltimore/Baltimore County. Honestly, I never had any problems with my white neighbors. As far as I can remember, they were some of the nicest and most helpful neighbors a person can have. This was during the late 70's. White Marsh wasn't even in existence at the time.

When I moved out to Harford County, specifically Joppatowne, it was quite an interesting area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Baltimore is like many other major metro city with problems. Just the only thing is those on top that were installed to address and manage the problems are corrupt!!!!

Dundalk, Rosedale, Middle River comes to mind, yes they are part of Essex. When i lived in White Marsh, I come to find many who "move-up" moved to White Marsh. That whole Bawlmorese sounds awful white trash **** language. I don't get why people have pride in that ****.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:20 AM

I would say Brooklyn, Park is a white ghetto per se.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM

What's wrong with hipsters and transplants? They help the city's image, economy and widens the social and cultural landscape of a city? Everything can't be about blue collar, beer and steamed crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Well I have no skin in the game since I don't live in Baltimore and my experience with the city consists of going through the Fort McHenrh Tunnel omw to Florida from NYC, but that makes me unhappy to here because I was halfway considering Baltimore as somewhere to move down from New York where I get better prices, cool architecture, an easy drive "home" to NY and to family down in Florida, and a city that is mostly working class and doesn't have many hipsters or even transplants/people from outside the area living in the city unless they were affiliated with JHU.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Where did Dawn Davenport, Gator Nelson, and Aunt Ida live?
Remington/Hampden hon. Sure do miss the Egglady.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Remington/Hampden hon. Sure do miss the Egglady.
Some parts of Waters' first two "big" flicks (Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble) also appear to have been filmed in/around some of the small, two-story, alley rowhouses in Fells Point, before it was cleaned up.
That's the area Edith Massey lived and worked in.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
What's wrong with hipsters and transplants? They help the city's image, economy and widens the social and cultural landscape of a city? Everything can't be about blue collar, beer and steamed crabs!
That's your opinion and again its your city. I like localized, straight up blue collar cities. The kind of place where people have lived in the same neighborhood since their great grandpa got off the boat. Young professionals kind of dilute that. I don't like their culture, the "I went to college" trendy crap grates on me. Again not my city, but although I have what I want here in NYC but it's confined to the bottom third of Queens, BK and SI and I'm kind of sick of getting frustrated or feeling all "stranger in a strange land" and "ew yuppies"!every time I leave my neighborhood. Not my city, so on to the next...thanks though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore