Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the level of racial tension in Baltimore.
Unbelievably bad (the worst or close to the worst I've ever seen) 10 12.20%
Worse than most places (somewhat or frequently annoying/ depressing) 31 37.80%
About average 27 32.93%
The ctiy has decent racial harmony 14 17.07%
There is no racial tension 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM

51 posts, read 71,187 times

Advertisements

This is an awesome discussion, and one that has implications for the city going forward. If Baltimore is to maximize its potential (and that potential is HUGE), then it absolutely must be seen as a city that truly welcomes people of all stripes to all of its neighborhoods - not just to the Inner Harbor. Also, it must be seen as a place where anyone can get some good jerk chicken in a safe environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
BPD are very active/visible on the corner of Belverdere and Park Heights Ave in what amounts to our "little kingston" or "little haiti' in terms of caribbean restaurants... There is still alot of "loitering" in that area.. which, not to say everyone is a criminal, but to a passerby looks somewhat unsavory. That along with the half dozen or so..."teddy bear/liquor bottle memorials" that are on Belverdere and some of the side streets. Again, those who dont know better.. think it just litter.. which is a negative.. Those who know better, know that someone met their demise at that location and it is in fact a memorial.. Sad part either point of view is negative for those who may not have known the individual and are thinking about patronizing the area....

Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
BPD are very active/visible on the corner of Belverdere and Park Heights Ave
There is still alot of "loitering" in that area.. which, not to say everyone is a criminal,
but to a passerby looks somewhat unsavory.
Ha! 50 years ago that corner was also considered "unsavory"

Dad liked the horses and seemed to prefer the bookie at the back of Beeli's
All I cared about was the pack of Necco wafer candies I'd get.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ha! 50 years ago that corner was also considered "unsavory"

Dad liked the horses and seemed to prefer the bookie at the back of Beeli's
All I cared about was the pack of Necco wafer candies I'd get.

50 years ago??? Wow, I have to admit that I am starting to doubt that any meaningful change will ever occur in PH in our lifetime.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
50 years ago???
Wow, I have to admit that I am starting to doubt that any meaningful change
will ever occur in PH in our lifetime.
Mobtown... from way, way back.

The difference between then and now is that the unsavory was the exception.
MOST people (>95%) worked and worked hard even if they also played hard.
Most also owned their own homes and everyone had real hope it would stay as it was.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Mobtown... from way, way back.

The difference between then and now is that the unsavory was the exception.
MOST people (>95%) worked and worked hard even if they also played hard.
Most also owned their own homes and everyone had real hope it would stay as it was.

Fifty years ago, Belvedere & Park Heights, Cold Spring & Park Heights, and Mondawmin were all nice areas.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,735 times
Quote:
50 years ago??? Wow, I have to admit that I am starting to doubt that any meaningful change will ever occur in PH in our lifetime.
Park Heights is too ratchet. I see no hope in that neighborhood honestly. I think neighborhoods like Liberty Heights, Gwyn Oak have a better chance.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Racial tensions are inflated in the media by white liberals and poverty pimps. Your average white person gets along just fine with you average black person in this city. It is seen at workplaces, at schools, white teachers at black schools, at ballgames and through daily interaction.

The real reason there is tension is because there is not much of a middle class in cities like Baltimore…. pretty much rich or young professionals and poor, and those too classifications of people don't have a lot in common.

And yes, people underestimate and overlook class, socioeconomics etc

Old 10-04-2014, 10:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,220 times
Baltimore is pretty integrated

Old 11-08-2014, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 8,090 times
I've heard in maryland, there is tension between blacks and central american latinos. I wonder how black-hispanic/latino relations will play out with the increasing influx of Puerto ricans and other caribbean hispanics (who historically gotten along with blacks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: