Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 25,137 times

Advertisements

What are the best places for a family with elementary aged children to rent using the following criteria.

1) We are considering Baltimore International Academy for our children which means that we must live in the City of Baltimore.
2) One parent will work in DC, the other in Baltimore. We are from a city with horrible sprawl, congestion and traffic and are not worried about lengthy commutes.
3) We would like to live near public transit for use on the weekend.
4) We would like to live near Whole Foods or any other natural foods market.
5) We are not afraid of transitional neighborhoods, but we don't want to slum it either.
6) We are not afraid of people who don't look, talk or think like use.
7) We would like to live near a park.
8) We are afraid of suburban living.
9) Our budget is $1200 to $1700 a month for a 2 bedroom.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Hello, and welcome to Baltimore!

It's going to be tough to give you an affordable neighborhood with a mix of reliable public transportation based on the fact that you would like to be near a Whole Foods type of grocer. However, I will try to help you out as I am sure many other posters will chime-in with useful insight as well.

Right off the bat, I would venture to say based on your criteria that somewhere around Bolton Hill/Mt. Royal/Station-North/Mt.Vernon would be most desirable. Essentially, these are the neighborhoods to the immediate north and north-west of the downtown business district. You will find Bolton-Hill has a unique mix of residents, including artists, students, families, and average folks spread out over a several block radius mostly along Park Ave. and Bolton Street's. Bolton Hill is adjacent to both light-rail and subway connections allowing you to have easy access to the downtown core, as well as the Whole Foods market located in Harbor East, which is about a 5 minute walk south of the Shot Tower/Market Place station.

Mt. Vernon, would provide you with similar demographics as Bolton Hill with a few more restaurant and retail options to choose from. Mt. Vernon is connected to the downtown core by a few bus lines, and is also quite walkable for the most part.

There is another Whole Foods market located in Mt. Washington, a beautiful neighborhood of large estates and homes located at the very northern edge of the city. Mt. Washington is actually connected by light-rail service, which would provide you access to both retail and job opportunities in both the city and Baltimore County.

I'm sure others will chime-in on the topic as well. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM

64 posts, read 123,137 times
I would suggest Patterson Park. The park is great and it's close enough to the Whole Foods.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltItaly View Post
I would suggest Patterson Park. The park is great and it's close enough to the Whole Foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Hello, and welcome to Baltimore!

Thank you!

It's going to be tough to give you an affordable neighborhood with a mix of reliable public transportation based on the fact that you would like to be near a Whole Foods type of grocer. However, I will try to help you out as I am sure many other posters will chime-in with useful insight as well.

Right off the bat, I would venture to say based on your criteria that somewhere around Bolton Hill/Mt. Royal/Station-North/Mt.Vernon would be most desirable. Essentially, these are the neighborhoods to the immediate north and north-west of the downtown business district. You will find Bolton-Hill has a unique mix of residents, including artists, students, families, and average folks spread out over a several block radius mostly along Park Ave. and Bolton Street's. Bolton Hill is adjacent to both light-rail and subway connections allowing you to have easy access to the downtown core, as well as the Whole Foods market located in Harbor East, which is about a 5 minute walk south of the Shot Tower/Market Place station.

Mt. Vernon, would provide you with similar demographics as Bolton Hill with a few more restaurant and retail options to choose from. Mt. Vernon is connected to the downtown core by a few bus lines, and is also quite walkable for the most part.

There is another Whole Foods market located in Mt. Washington, a beautiful neighborhood of large estates and homes located at the very northern edge of the city. Mt. Washington is actually connected by light-rail service, which would provide you access to both retail and job opportunities in both the city and Baltimore County.

I'm sure others will chime-in on the topic as well. Good luck with your search!
Thank you so much!! Bolton Hill sounds interesting!

What areas would you all recommend if Whole Foods is taken out of the equation?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Quote:
What areas would you all recommend if Whole Foods is taken out of the equation?
In all honesty, I would still recommend Bolton Hill. The architecture is wonderful and the location really can't be beat! There is another frequent poster on this forum, who lives in that area, and would agree with me. I'm sure he will chime in sooner or later.

BaltItaly also recommended Patterson Park. That is another great choice. It is particularly diverse in terms of ethnic whites (mostly Polish) and a large Latino population as well. The neighborhood is named after the huge park that sits in the middle of the neighborhood, which is well used by residents and visitors alike.

Another "hidden gem" area you might want to look into is Woodberry. It has its own light-rail stop yet sits in a mostly quiet wooded enclave only about 3 miles or so north of downtown. Essentially, Woodberry served as a mill-town and factory-town for much of its existence. Most of the factories in that area have been converted into artisan studios and lofts. Woodberry uniquely, has maintained a "small-town" almost rural feel in the middle of its surrounding urban landscape. Just another area you may feel enticed to check out!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
I recommend Roland Park, Mt Washington, Cold Spring New Town, Hampden, or Woodbury. These neighborhoods are close together in the northern/northwestern sections of Baltimore City. They are very family friendly and are close to the light rail stops at Cold Spring Lane, Woodbury, or Mt Washington which will take you downtown to either Penn Station or Camden Station where you can get trains to DC's Union Station. There are plenty of parks in the area, and several upscale grocers, including Baltimore's largest Whole Foods. If I had to choose a place to live in Baltimore City, with cost not a factor, it would be one of these five neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM

206 posts, read 472,920 times
1) I don't know the competitiveness of BIA but for most of the good non-zoned schools you're not guaranteed to get your child in. Just saying that you should have a plan beyond one school. The zoned (neighborhood) schools that most middle-class parents would consider are only in a few neighborhoods.
2) Any chance you'd want to take the MARC train down for the DC commute? If so then being near Penn Station or within a drive to West Baltimore station are worth considering. (There's another line with a downtown station but service isn't as good or frequent.) Depending where the job is the total commute could be longer than driving, but being on the train (and DC metro) is probably much more pleasant than being in traffic.
3) Any particular destinations in mind? Public transit isn't particularly good here, with a single subway line that goes downtown and to Hopkins Hospital, and a light rail line that ... goes some places. There's the bus, which goes most everywhere but isn't that convenient. If you were considering e.g. weekends at Inner Harbor attractions it would be easier to know where to point you.
4) There's two in the city, both are pretty easy to drive to, and one is even near the light rail. But I don't think it should be a factor in where you choose to live, unless you want to go somewhat car-free.

So it sounds like you want a decent amount of space (2-3 bedrooms, a child, 1-2 cars) for your money, some green nearby, and can accept a diverse or transitional area to make it happen. That sounds exactly like my neighborhood of Reservoir Hill. You could find pretty decent 2BRs for $1200, and quite nice ones or 3BRs for $1500. Bolton Hill is a bit nicer with some shops to walk to but also more expensive and further from the park. Near to Patterson Park is nice but your money doesn't go as far, and it's pretty dense (parking for two cars is real tough).

I could mention twenty other neighborhoods but will wait to hear your responses.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
1) I don't know the competitiveness of BIA but for most of the good non-zoned schools you're not guaranteed to get your child in. Just saying that you should have a plan beyond one school. The zoned (neighborhood) schools that most middle-class parents would consider are only in a few neighborhoods.
BIA is the only school that we would consider in the Baltimore area. My children are older and not subject to the lower grade lottery requirements. There are spaces available for 2014-2015.

2) Any chance you'd want to take the MARC train down for the DC commute? If so then being near Penn Station or within a drive to West Baltimore station are worth considering. (There's another line with a downtown station but service isn't as good or frequent.) Depending where the job is the total commute could be longer than driving, but being on the train (and DC metro) is probably much more pleasant than being in traffic.[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]What neighborhoods should I consider near Penn Station?[/color]

3) Any particular destinations in mind? Public transit isn't particularly good here, with a single subway line that goes downtown and to Hopkins Hospital, and a light rail line that ... goes some places. There's the bus, which goes most everywhere but isn't that convenient. If you were considering e.g. weekends at Inner Harbor attractions it would be easier to know where to point you.[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Honestly, I can't say at this point. What is there for elementary aged children to see and do in Baltimore on the weekends?[/color]

4) There's two in the city, both are pretty easy to drive to, and one is even near the light rail. But I don't think it should be a factor in where you choose to live, unless you want to go somewhat car-free.[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I like to purchase meat and vegetables on the day that they are prepared. I don't have to live near Whole Foods, just a market with a wider variety or natural, organic and gluten free options. What are Baltimore's alternatives to Whole Foods?[/color]

So it sounds like you want a decent amount of space (2-3 bedrooms, a child, 1-2 cars) for your money, some green nearby, and can accept a diverse or transitional area to make it happen. That sounds exactly like my neighborhood of Reservoir Hill. You could find pretty decent 2BRs for $1200, and quite nice ones or 3BRs for $1500. Bolton Hill is a bit nicer with some shops to walk to but also more expensive and further from the park. Near to Patterson Park is nice but your money doesn't go as far, and it's pretty dense (parking for two cars is real tough).

I could mention twenty other neighborhoods but will wait to hear your responses.
Thank you for the information!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
In all honesty, I would still recommend Bolton Hill. The architecture is wonderful and the location really can't be beat! There is another frequent poster on this forum, who lives in that area, and would agree with me. I'm sure he will chime in sooner or later.

BaltItaly also recommended Patterson Park. That is another great choice. It is particularly diverse in terms of ethnic whites (mostly Polish) and a large Latino population as well. The neighborhood is named after the huge park that sits in the middle of the neighborhood, which is well used by residents and visitors alike.

Another "hidden gem" area you might want to look into is Woodberry. It has its own light-rail stop yet sits in a mostly quiet wooded enclave only about 3 miles or so north of downtown. Essentially, Woodberry served as a mill-town and factory-town for much of its existence. Most of the factories in that area have been converted into artisan studios and lofts. Woodberry uniquely, has maintained a "small-town" almost rural feel in the middle of its surrounding urban landscape. Just another area you may feel enticed to check out!
What golf courses would you recommend? Woodbury seems ideal.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:17 PM

225 posts, read 429,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyglotmom View Post
What are the best places for a family with elementary aged children to rent using the following criteria.

1) We are considering Baltimore International Academy for our children which means that we must live in the City of Baltimore.
2) One parent will work in DC, the other in Baltimore. We are from a city with horrible sprawl, congestion and traffic and are not worried about lengthy commutes.
3) We would like to live near public transit for use on the weekend.
4) We would like to live near Whole Foods or any other natural foods market.
5) We are not afraid of transitional neighborhoods, but we don't want to slum it either.
6) We are not afraid of people who don't look, talk or think like use.
7) We would like to live near a park.
8) We are afraid of suburban living.
9) Our budget is $1200 to $1700 a month for a 2 bedroom.

TIA
Some options that come to mind:

Mt. Washington:

Pros: If you live near the little village, you are just a short walk from the light rail station which can connect you to the MARK/Amtrak system. The neighborhood is "old suburban" so nothing like the cookie-cutter horrors outside the city, but more quiet/green than elsewhere. You are next door to a whole foods, as well as a community garden and arboretum. Check out Brooks Management Co. which holds several mansions-turned-apartments in the area. When I was last looking they had a two bedroom for around $1200. I think that price range is easily reached in this area.

Downside: it's on the north side, so commuting to DC would be more difficult (although you could do it all by train) it's a bit quiet and most residents are white middle to middle-upper class. Not very "urban"

Woodberry/West part of Hampden:

Pros: Woodberry is another light rail stop, near to Hampden. Hampden is an actively gentrifying neighborhood with a nice strip called the "avenue" with lots of antique shops, restaurants, bars, bookshops, etc. The 28th street coop sells organic local food (I think it's called Mill Valley Gen. Store now), and you can easily walk to the 32nd street Waverly Market on Saturdays. Also, they are planning to put in a MOM's organic market at the Rotunda in Hampden. Prices here should also be very affordable. Oh, and you're right next to the beautiful Wyman park and Stony Run train system.

Cons: Still on the North side of town, but closer than Mt. Washington. Property crime (but not really shootings or anything) are a bit higher than in Mt. W. Smaller homes, and many still in disrepair.

Harbor East:

Pros: Next to the downtown Whole Foods, decidedly more urban and upscale. Everything new and modern. Pretty easy access to major highways.

Cons: Not much in the way of parks (Except the waterfront), probably outside your budget (but I would check anyway). No light rail access, though you are on the circulator bus system.

Charles North:

Pros: Live next to the train station, so easiest access to DC by train. Can find nice townhomes pretty cheap around here, it is a more slow-boil gentrification going on.

Cons: Need to be a bit careful about where you rent (stick to North Ave +/- 1 block, basically all around the Charles theater). Not sure about parks, and no good grocery options that i know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: