Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times

Advertisements

Way back, I lived in Guilford. It is beautiful, but too close to York Ave. for my taste. It wasn't too close when I first moved there, but after being broken into four times (yes, four), I decided it was too close. They caught a couple of the guys who were selling our stuff to pawn shops on York Ave. Two of the four times, we were home during the breakins. We had an alarm, and they threw a brick through a glass door, came in, grabbed stuff, and left before the police got there. We moved to Hunt Valley.

Since then, we've left MD for work, but may be moving back. Although I liked Hunt Valley, I always missed being closer in. We have small kids, and I'm not looking to live downtown, but what about Roland Park? Is it subject to the same level of break-ins as Guilford or is being that much further removed a bit of an insulating factor?

I'd like to move back to Roland Park, but I guess I need to be convinced that it would be safer than our last experience in nearby Guilford. Otherwise...back to Hunt Valley area we go.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I think I know what area of Guilford you were in based on the description. Roland Park is fine. I have friends living there who have never had a problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
I agree, Roland Park is a nice, safe area. I have friends there who may be getting ready to put their house on the market (PM me if you might be interested).

For another nice, safe area, have you also considered Mount Washington?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM

We're not at the buying stage, but thanks for letting me know. It's not a sure thing we're moving back--we should know more in teh next couple of months.

I don't know as much about Mt. Washington. We looked there a bit when we were buying last time we lived in Balto (when we ended up in Guilford) but at least the houses we saw, were all too small for us. I like the idea of being close to Meadowbrook (!) and wouldn't rule out looking there, but another thing I like about Roland Park is we would probably send the kids to the Friends School and it would be very close. I guess HOmeland would also be a consideration since it's right there as well. I just want to make sure we woudln't be opening ourselves up to more break-ins (I know it can happen anywhere, but I don't want it to be happening often where we go!).

Thanks for the responses so far!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,837 times
Roland Park and Homeland are very nice and safe -- much moreso than Guilford. If you lived there and sent the kids to Friends, you'd be in a very enviable position.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default Be prepared for a sticker shock

Roland Park is excellent, if you can afford it. But while you were away, the following has happened. Kids who grew up in Roland Park (and whose families then moved to the county) and are now big-time lawyers and such have rediscovered Roland Park. This has caused two things: (1) Never in its it 116-year history has Roland Park been as wealthy, on the average, as today. You can see this particularly in the springtime when all the professionally tended horticulture is in bloom. Also, look at the mini-Versailles that an entrepreneur named Oros has built by expanding an existing mansion on Lake and Roland; (2) Roland Park is becoming diverse, a drastic departure from the 1913-mid-1960s period when Jews were barred by custom and blacks in writing.
All this has happened for the same reason that you mentioned: Roland Park is ideal for those who want to send their kids to Gilman, Friends or Bryn Mawr.
Among the wealthier Roland Park's benefits are an increasing number of good restaurants. This can be best seen on Cold Spring Lane, where Alonzo's owners have branched out to (1) a Mexican place (2) Miss Shirley's, a popular breakfast and lunch spot and a third restaurant, the nature of which I forget. Further down the road is a synagogue! When it opened a couple of years ago, The Sun ran a correction to a story that said it was in Roland Park. It isn't, technically.
Parts of Homeland are even closer to Friends School. Somewhat more modern houses.
I don't know about the overall market, but a friend of mine is selling his old, wooden Victorian, which does not have central air and isn't very modernized. Even though this is supposed to be a difficult market, the moment it became known that he is moving, he got serious interest in the house. As a result it may be sold without ever being listed.

Last edited by barante; 11-05-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

This all sounds good, thanks! We can afford it, so that's oK. And I like the added diversity. Thanks for this--I'm really hoping we end up back there now--I do love Baltimore and Roland Park would be ideal!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 PM

57 posts, read 248,171 times
I actually babysit in Roland park for two families (I live in Charles Village) and I have fallen in love with Roland Park. They all know their neighbors, their kids are friends, they have meeting if the dogs are becoming a nuisance with their barking, etc. If you can afford it I highly recommend being there. It's so much quieter than what I'm used to hearing being in Charles Village, even though I'm babysitting, it's very relaxing!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 29,882 times
Put some bars on the windows. Some nice, decorative ironwork.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM

What's that supposed to mean? I'm thinking you're not serious and are somehow suggesting my question isn't reasonable? I think it's entirely reasonable considering I was broken into 4 times about a mile from Roland Park, and that I have not lived in the area for a number of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore