Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,035,264 times

Advertisements

Suburban Baltmore delegate calls on governor to address city crime - Local News - Baltimore, MD - msnbc.com

Suburban Delegate speaks on Baltimore's crime:

Quote:
A number of recent violent events in and around downtown Baltimore prompted a suburban delegate to call for action, accusing the city officials of a cover-up concerning violent attacks by "roving mobs of black youths."

Delegate Pat McDonough, R-District 7, whose district encompasses portions of Harford and Baltimore counties, has called on Gov. Martin O'Malley to enlist the state police to help curb the violence.

"When you have 100 youths in the middle of Calvert Street (at) 9 o'clock in the evening, fighting and battling, and there's no police there at all, you got a problem," McDonough said.

McDonough is claiming violent crime committed by so-called "mobs of black youths" is out of control in Baltimore City. Citing evidence he said he has witnessed firsthand, seen all over the Internet and heard from retired city law enforcement, the delegate claimed the violence has been going on for years and that the mayor has done nothing to stop it.

"It's my opinion that the mayor of Baltimore City is engaged in a cover-up and (she's) trying to downplay this, No. 1, and, No. 2, she has no real clue as to how to deal with it," McDonough said.
I could not agree more.

Quote:
McDonough also suggested to the governor that the state police be brought in to assist Baltimore officers, to which, O'Malley responded by telling the delegate to go to the Inner Harbor himself.

"Well, I was down (at) the Inner Harbor a month ago and my wife and I were 100 feet away from an attack. So, maybe the governor should go to the Inner Harbor and wake up," McDonough said.
One of the Baltimore City Councilmen claims in the article that the issues are overblown.
It's crazy how some of these current and former Baltimore politicians are blind to the facts, and/or are too scared to speak out for fear of hurting someones feelings.

I think state troopers may help Baltimore's crime problem, (kinda sad it would have to come to that).
Though, some people in Baltimore would need to want to help themselves also.
Instead of yelling "Oh it happens everywhere!" Cause it really does not.
Or singing "We will overcome," or "Amazing grace" on a street corner. Which is obviously not working.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 05-17-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,585,080 times
This will attract national media attention, I think... And the fallout will certainly be interesting, because you'll have a soundbyte of srb saying "no biggie" happens everywhere played over video of the young preppy Arlingtonian "ante-ing up" and also video of the roving youths (still havent seen any video of thqt days events though).

SRB is right that flash mobs are not unique to Baltimore. Youth unrest has grown throughout the industrialized world. However, theres no doubt that they unnecessarily kept it quiet. Just because it's something that has happened elsewhere doesn't mean it's normal, and people have a right to know about it. Cover ups look 100x worse than the truth.

As for the race baiting... Irresponsible and distracting from the issue. "rovingobs terrorizing citizens" is enough to get the headlines... Throwing in black serves only to energize those who think that being black is a problem and to everyone else on the defensive.

On the other hand here we are talking about it so I guess it was effective. Still irresponsible.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 PM

65 posts, read 100,372 times
UHHO the guilty white liberals won't like this bit of info from getting out! This sort of nasty business is supposed to be swept under the rug.

THANK GOD someone is finally speaking out about a real problem that has gotten way out of control. Lets see if tough guy O'Malley does anything now.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 PM

260 posts, read 846,188 times
Remember when you were in Elementary or Middle school and there was that kid who would always disrupt class because he wanted attention. Pat McDonough is the adult version of this. He hasn't been in the news lately and he needs all the attention he can get. So Pat Mcdonough (aka Mr. Potato Head) comes up with some boneheaded racist comment to get himself in the news.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM

7,218 posts, read 11,495,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
Remember when you were in Elementary or Middle school and there was that kid who would always disrupt class because he wanted attention. Pat McDonough is the adult version of this. He hasn't been in the news lately and he needs all the attention he can get. So Pat Mcdonough (aka Mr. Potato Head) comes up with some boneheaded racist comment to get himself in the news.
What is racist about what he said?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 AM

65 posts, read 100,372 times
Quote:

Ladies & gentleman I present to you our guilty white liberal! Yes yes I know lets sweep this under the rug and let the violence and brutality continue NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS MOVE ALONG MOVE ALONG!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 AM

260 posts, read 846,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What is racist about what he said?
I don't see why he felt the need to identify the race of those making up the supposed mobs. If those kids were white why would he have identified them as white? I don't think so. Furthermore, I don't even understand why he chose to address the issue. He doesn't even represent the city.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I don't see why he felt the need to identify the race of those making up the supposed mobs. If those kids were white why would he have identified them as white? I don't think so. Furthermore, I don't even understand why he chose to address the issue. He doesn't even represent the city.
Quite frankly, I'm glad SOMEBODY is addressing the issue. But here's why this will be ineffective at solving the problem:

When you are describing a problem as "flash mobs" and then add "black" to it, then "black" becomes part of the problem. If the delegate was actually interested in solving a problem he would not have done this. However, to this delegate, and probably to many of his base, it's quite possible that being black is part of the problem, and therefore it makes sense for him to say it ... race-baiting or not (it is). And anytime an issue is racialized in an overt manner like this, everyone gets their feathers ruffled and defensive and we can't even get past the freaking title of the press release to solve the problem.

However this baiting, this defensiveness, is the actual goal of the delegate.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:20 AM

866 posts, read 2,639,514 times
The only response SRB and Martin O'Malley come up with is, "Overall, crime is down in the city". Well that doesn't matter to anyone when you're talking about the perception of safety in the city's #1 tourist area.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
The only response SRB and Martin O'Malley come up with is, "Overall, crime is down in the city". Well that doesn't matter to anyone when you're talking about the perception of safety in the city's #1 tourist area.
Seriously. To call their response "tepid" would be a real understatement. "So long as the numbers are good, everything is OK." Ridiculous assertion by queen SRB who is so far removed from the issues of crime in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore