Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM

258 posts, read 1,011,112 times

Advertisements

jshamsha.......I can attest to helenjen's comments on the local school. Please let me know if you would like to take a tour.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,094 times
Default Patterson Park

Be cautious when reading folk's pastoral descriptions of Patterson Park. After dark (which in winter is about 4:30) is becomes a haven for drunks, prostitutes and drug dealers. Not the best place during the day either-my daughter was robbed and assaulted on a mid-summer Saturday at about 11:00 am.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
The above statement is simply false. I have no idea where that comes from because I live across from the park and use it constantly along with thousands of others. A great web site for further truthful facts about the park can be found at:
The Friends of Patterson Park, Inc.
---No prostitutes and no drug dealers... Maybe a drinker or two. The statement above makes no sense. Why would a hooker work the park when the money is to be made off the streets????

Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,094 times
Ask the police officer shot in Patterson Park last winter what his opinion of the Park is. He would probably know better. I'm guessing he wasn't shot by a dog walker. Fact not opinion.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Over a year ago, there was a police officer shot in the park, yes. Now I suppose no police officers have ever been shot anywhere in the u.s. but the city of Baltimore. Stop being a naggy old hen and get on with your life.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
Honestly, Patterson Park isn't much different from my neighborhood. I feel comfortable here, but I can see where others would look at the same people and streets and see blight and poverty. I looked at a house in Patterson Park back in 2000 when we were looking to move to Baltimore, and I thought the street was a little scary. Now it's probably nicer, but back then -- no thanks.

I think city living depends on your comfort level and the way you interact with your neighbors. When you live in a marginal neighborhood...in a marginal city...I think there's room for both points of view. Neither my neighborhood or Patterson Park will ever be a yuppie utopia (and frankly, thank God for that!) but they have the potential to become healthy communities once again.

I've always been a firm believer in middle ground -- and somwhere between Bawlmer and the Patterson Park website...there lies the truth. I'm acutely aware of the downside of living here and feel very fortunate that I haven't become the vicitm of any serious crime.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
You'd be surprised at how yuppified Patterson Park has become. Granted I'm part of that trend to a certain extent, but even the people who have moved in since I moved to this area from Butchers Hill 6 months ago have surprised me with the extent of their yupppiness. Of course, not everyone is a yuppy, but it certainly seems to be moving that way.

When I was looking for a place to buy, I looked very quickly at Pigtown, but that area did scare me quite a bit. Of course, there is another woman who started at UMBC at the same time that I did who has been renting in Pigtown and plans on buying there, so...

Last edited by helenejen; 01-08-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM

70 posts, read 485,196 times
A continuing saga . . . BALTIMORE IS THE WORST CITY ON EARTH. There is CRIME here. I’m moving to MIAMI . . .

Uh, wait! Miami is the MOST DANGEROUS city in the COUNTRY. DO NOT MOVE TO MIAMI – IT IS NOT SAFE – A COP was KILLED THERE!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT MIAMI !!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22552530/
Miami police detective found shot in patrol car Death marks 4th fatal shooting of South Florida officer in past 6 months

Surely Boston would be better? NOPE? Boston IS THE MOST DANGEROUS CITY IN THE COUNTRY – it is HORRIBLE and UNSAFE – A man was SHOT there. THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT BOSTON!!![/SIZE]
North Andover father shot dead in front of his home - The Boston Globe
Father shot dead in front of home

Maybe a nice suburban town like Sterling, Virginia. NO DON’T MOVE THERE!!!!! IT IS NOT SAFE THERE – A teenager was MUGGED THERE – IN THE MORNING!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT STERLING!!!
Leesburg Today - The Journal of Loudoun County - Student Mugged In Sterling (http://www.leesburg2day.com/articles/2007/11/14/news/fp718jmugged111407.txt - broken link)
A 13-year-old middle school student was robbed as she walked to school yesterday morning, the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office reported today

Well then, I’m ditching the East coast, its much better in the Midwest – except. . . .DON’T MOVE TO CHICAGO you and at least TWO OTHERS WILL BE KILLED!!!! NOT SAFE!!!! DO NOT MOVE THERE!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT CHICAGO!!!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-warrants_webjan09,1,4716562.story?ctrack=1&cset=tr ue
]Arrest warrants issued for suspects in triple slaying

Well, Chicago is a big city – try a little farther north – DANG! Can’t move to the upper Midwest!!!! It’s not SAFE THERE – TOO MANY GUNS in Milwaukee!!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT MILWAUKEE!!!
]http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=702868
Gun seizures in Milwaukee rise 9.8% in 2007

OK, IT HAS GOT TO BE SAFE OUT WEST, RIGHT???? WRONG . . . DON’T live in Phoenix, You’ll immediately be shot by your loved Ones!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT PHOENIX!!
]http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/0107abrk-murder0107.html
A pregnant 25-year-old woman was shot and killed by her fiancé on Sunday while sitting in the front seat of his Ford Explorer, Phoenix police said.

Well that does it, OH BUT DO NOT LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES!!!! The US has the HIGHEST DEATH RATE!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THE UNITED STATES!!! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22554235/wid/11915773&GT1=10815 (broken link)
France best, U.S. worst in preventable deaths British study's rankings based on access to timely and effective health care

THAT’S IT!!!! LET’S ALL MOVE TO FRANCE -- I hear NOBODY COMPLAINS THERE!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Scudder---very good response. I tried adding to your reputation but I got to spread them around.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
Seriously, if you move to a place like Sterling, Virginia -- if you don't get mugged...you can at least expect to die a slow painful death...cancer of the soul. Eek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore