Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times

Advertisements

For those in the Reservoir Hill area or who are familiar with this property, have there been any updates to the ongoing Madison Park North saga? I haven't had the opportunity to attend any community-related meetings since earlier in the year due to academic commitments, but am quite curious what the final outcome was with the HUD inspections, the private slumlord, and HABC involvement.

Tried looking online quickly and updated HUD data/recent news stories about the status of the property are quite limited. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,911 times
As far as I've heard, they've done nothing yet. Typical City dragging their feet. Also these Public Housing tear downs get a little bit tricky, so hopefully soon. The future of Res Hill certainly has a lot to do with what happens, and it would be a perfect property for MICA!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM

226 posts, read 364,187 times
i heard the property did not pass inspections, i went to a meeting earlier this yr in which housing commissioner graziano attended...he stated that should the property not pass inspections the city would look to make plans to relocate the residents. graziano stated the city would be responsible for the costs of tearing down the buildings and relocations unless the city was able to receive federal hud funding in which case the fed govt would pay the cost of tearing down the buildings and also help to pay for the relocation of its current residents...as it stands now i have not a heard a formal annoucement that the city is closing down this public housing project

Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM

206 posts, read 472,970 times
Everybody - it's not public housing. Those words have a specific meaning. This is a privately-owned complex subsidized with Project-Based Section 8 vouchers. If HABC and HUD end the contract then their mortgage gets called and the owners probably lose the property.

There's been no news and it's not clear how the appeal process is playing out. It must be some sort of internal-to-HUD thing because it's not in any Maryland courts.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Yes, it's project-based assisted housing. Private developer 'owns' the property and the federal government provides substantial rental subsidies directly to the owner who is then able to offer highly discounted rents to those who qualify. The owner may also allow Section 8 voucher holders to rent these units as well. Different from public housing, where the government owns the properties and subsidizes rent directly, and are managed by individual housing authorities. Point is, private-public partnerships, often, and, especially in the case of MPN, often end in spectacular crash and burn ways--at a cost to the residents, surrounding neighborhood, and the taxpayer.

Anyway, yes, I attended that meeting as well, had high hopes that there would be substantial change, and quick at that--I remember they were going to do a secondary, more elaborate property inspection after the first had failed abysmally, and HUD/HABC was also outwardly publicly involved, but, since then, attention has seemed to fade.

It'll make me unhappy if I learn that things will continue status quo with this property. It's really not right, and, unfair.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
Everybody - it's not public housing. Those words have a specific meaning. This is a privately-owned complex subsidized with Project-Based Section 8 vouchers. If HABC and HUD end the contract then their mortgage gets called and the owners probably lose the property.

There's been no news and it's not clear how the appeal process is playing out. It must be some sort of internal-to-HUD thing because it's not in any Maryland courts.
Yes--I looked for additional news, nothing recent. Maybe I'll try calling HUD. Will keep you posted if I hear anything. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 17,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post

remstone is a neighbor of mine here in Reservoir Hill. His update sums up everything unfortunately. The place should have been gone long ago. It appears in this Reservoir Hill video of mine from 2009:

My walk around Reservoir Hill in Baltimore - YouTube

Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Meister View Post
remstone is a neighbor of mine here in Reservoir Hill. His update sums up everything unfortunately. The place should have been gone long ago. It appears in this Reservoir Hill video of mine from 2009:

My walk around Reservoir Hill in Baltimore - YouTube
Thanks, Adam. Yes, I remember watching this video a while back, forgot you had some footage of MPN included. Looked a lot better in that video than it did the last time I passed the property...

Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM

68 posts, read 266,273 times
It's sad to note that almost one entire year has gone by since the last posts on this thread wondering why MPN still sits, with seemingly no action, when the community was promised that it would be shut down, one way or another. I haven't heard anything through the grapevine; I can just see that it still appears to function and people live there. Is there any news that has happened in the last year? Could it possible that this thing is STILL an ongoing court case (assuming Kaplan is suing HUD)...?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbelt View Post
It's sad to note that almost one entire year has gone by since the last posts on this thread wondering why MPN still sits, with seemingly no action, when the community was promised that it would be shut down, one way or another.
LOL

You haven't lived here very long have you? One year is a NOTHING in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: