Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times

Advertisements

...and Hunt Valley.

The hubs and I are exploring different neighborhoods to move to and he likes Harford County, specifically Belcamp and Abingdon. My biggest concern is the Mon - Fri work commute.

He currently works in the heart of downtown (St. Paul St.) and I work in Hunt Valley. We live in Mt. Washington and take the Light Rail and metro to work and save a lot on gas. My current commute (by car) is 20 mins. His is nearly an hour between driving to the metro, the metro ride and walking to his building. If he drove to work he'd also have to pay to park and possible pay for tolls.

I'm trying to get an accurate idea of rush-hour commute times and info for both our commutes. He does not seem too worried but I am (I hate commutes over 40 mins).

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 AM

926 posts, read 1,255,895 times
Wondering why someone would leave Mt Washington for Harford County.

Anyway, the commute will be one you wish you didn't have to make. His hour commute will continue to be an hour plus gas and parking costs. 95S, RT40, and Philadelphia road are all pretty bad. The good news is there are many people commuting that way so maybe your husband will find someone to carpool with.

You might want to explore some back roads to Hunt Valley to avoid 695. And of course I think you already know you're commute time will increase also. Good Luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM

38 posts, read 208,615 times
Some of the reasons moving from Mt Washington to Harford County might include better schools, much lower property taxes and more affordable housing. One of the reasons not to move is a much longer commute. However, the commute from Abingdon to St. Paul St really isn't an issue as there is a commuter bus available. Check the MTA Maryland website and check the commuter bus 410 Route. There is no shortcut available from Abingdon to Hunt Valley. It will be over 45 minutes and more likely well over an hour. You can pretty much be guaranteed of hitting heavy traffic every day. The back roads are not a viable option.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug1 View Post
Some of the reasons moving from Mt Washington to Harford County might include better schools, much lower property taxes and more affordable housing. One of the reasons not to move is a much longer commute. However, the commute from Abingdon to St. Paul St really isn't an issue as there is a commuter bus available. Check the MTA Maryland website and check the commuter bus 410 Route. There is no shortcut available from Abingdon to Hunt Valley. It will be over 45 minutes and more likely well over an hour. You can pretty much be guaranteed of hitting heavy traffic every day. The back roads are not a viable option.
WE're only considering leaving Mt. Washington because we rent an apartment here and can't afford to buy here. Harford County has much lower taxes than Baltimore Co, like you said.

But I'm stuck on the commute. That's still a really hard sell for me.

Thanks for your response.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
WE're only considering leaving Mt. Washington because we rent an apartment here and can't afford to buy here.
Next to being in between your two commute destinations (as you are now) the next best thing is be near one of the two destinations so that ONE of you has it real easy and only one has to tough it out.

Moving to where you BOTH have a miserable commute?
You're better off using the time for a part time job to make the extra $500 a month.
---

As the Hunt Valley area is no less expensive than Mt Washington...
the next best choice might be at the southern end of the light rail system.
Have you ever visited the Linthicum area?

Both drive to the same station, both take the same train, he gets off downtown, you ride it farther out. Maybe it'll be worth it to you.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: