Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,705 times

Advertisements

To put it lightly, I need help. I have only been to Baltimore once and I am moving there to take a job in 5 months, and I am beginining to get a little bit psyched out. What I need help with; where to live? apartment or a house? where to work out? how to adjust myself? any advice at all?

So here is a little bit about me:

I will be a recent college graduate, 23 years old, moving alone, female..your typical female college graduate with a little more ambition. I don't want to live anywhere "ghetto" and don't mind paying not to live in those areas. I would like somewhere where I do not have to use my car, and I can walk to the gym or grocery stores, nightlife, etc. Any advice will be appreciated even if it is not being list here!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 73,589 times
What is your price range? In what area will you be working? Canton is a good neighborhood for recent college graduates. It can get pricey, but you can walk to restaurants, the gym, and the grocery store. It's a pretty popular neighborhood

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM

I will be working downtown and commuting to DC 3 days a week (buts it's quite pricey to live in DC) I would like to stay between 800-1000 on rent, and I don't mind to live in a studio.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

251 posts, read 721,486 times
You might need to adjust that budget upwards, but some of the real estate agents that post here can advise you on that. If you plan to be in DC that often I would suggest taking the MARC train, you should be able to find a place in walking distance of the station but I suspect it will be closer to 1200 if you want a decent size.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegegradsara View Post
To put it lightly, I need help. I have only been to Baltimore once and I am moving there to take a job in 5 months, and I am beginining to get a little bit psyched out. What I need help with; where to live? apartment or a house? where to work out? how to adjust myself? any advice at all?

So here is a little bit about me:

I will be a recent college graduate, 23 years old, moving alone, female..your typical female college graduate with a little more ambition. I don't want to live anywhere "ghetto" and don't mind paying not to live in those areas. I would like somewhere where I do not have to use my car, and I can walk to the gym or grocery stores, nightlife, etc. Any advice will be appreciated even if it is not being list here!! Thank you!

I recently helped a young gentleman in his move from KY to Baltimore. I'll be frank, you really won't find much of anything in that price range in the areas that you're probably looking at. If your goal is to stay in that range, I'd really suggest looking for rooms on Craigslist. Generally $500/mo will get you into a 3br apartment in the younger areas of town (Federal Hill, Canton, Fells Point among others) and you'll meet more people that way.

Most out of towners end up quite sticker shocked when they see rental prices in Baltimore. If you'd like I can see what I can dig up in your price ranges and email it to you.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 PM

206 posts, read 472,514 times
Look at Mount Vernon. It will have your best selection of 1BRs and studios. If you look on Craigslist there are lots in that price range though maybe not the best locations:
baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds "vernon" - craigslist

It's convenient to downtown and Penn Station (to get you to DC). It has the restaurants and nightlife, along with gyms, and two smaller grocery stores. It's probably the best neighborhood in the city if you're going to try getting along without a car (which is never that easy here).

If you're more comfortable with a house share and looking for the more generic early-20s drunken experience then you might also consider Federal Hill (or Fells Point or Canton if you desire longer commutes). But you can have roommates in Mount Vernon too, if you want.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM

I would be willing to adjust my budget upwards, I guess I am just use to they KY cost of living. I'll get use to it. I don't really want room mates, due to the fact that my job will consume most of my time for the first 6 months I am there and need to focus on that. I don't want to be in a house with louder, "drinking" younger people.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Oh & I will have my car, I just enjoy being able to have the freedom to be able to walk to places, I have heard the parking is bad.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,888 times
I'd look at Federal Hill first... it meets the vast majority of your criteria except price. It's as safe as basically anywhere in Baltimore, very walkable (although depending on where you live the supermarket is a little far to be hauling back groceries), etc. You'll be close to 95 or Camden MARC depending on how you want to get to DC and you'll be walking distance from downtown. $1k/month may get you a 1 bedroom, but it will be close. Try to find something with parking included if at all possible. Street parking is doable especially if you aren't driving at night and get home before like 6pm. We have 1 spot and 2 cars, I've never had to park more than 3-4 blocks away and I'm usually within 1-2 blocks. Its most congested around the cross st market area (where cross st intersects with light and charles). There are not a ton of (relatively upscale) managed apartment buildings in Baltimore except around UMB which is not where I'd recommend living so you are most likely looking at independent type places via craigslist and similar.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM

158 posts, read 395,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
Look at Mount Vernon. It will have your best selection of 1BRs and studios. If you look on Craigslist there are lots in that price range though maybe not the best locations:
baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds "vernon" - craigslist

It's convenient to downtown and Penn Station (to get you to DC). It has the restaurants and nightlife, along with gyms, and two smaller grocery stores. It's probably the best neighborhood in the city if you're going to try getting along without a car (which is never that easy here).

If you're more comfortable with a house share and looking for the more generic early-20s drunken experience then you might also consider Federal Hill (or Fells Point or Canton if you desire longer commutes). But you can have roommates in Mount Vernon too, if you want.
I second Remstone... Lots of spacious one-bedrooms for under a grand in Mt. Vernon, and studios in the $600-700 range. It's proximity to Penn Station will be VERY helpful. Lots of restaurants, bars (although a good many are gay - which I love - but as a young single female you might not find that helpful!)... But an easy cab or Circulator bus will get you downtown to Fed Hill, or over to Canton for the nightlife you'll probably like. My only complaint would be the lack of a walkable grocery store. There are smaller places, but nothing like the Whole Foods in Fells or the Safeway in Canton... Mt. Vernon has it's edgier sides (i.e., particularly as you move from the center out farther east, west, and north) - - but it's certainly not "ghetto" and I feel very safe there as a woman. Don't get me wrong - you need to take common precautions (be aware of your surroundings, try to avoid walking in unlit areas at night, don't leave ANYTHING in your car - - most of the crime in Mt. Vernon is confined to car break ins) - - but honestly, you need to do that anywhere in Baltimore. That's just the nature of this city. (Yes - some neighborhoods are certainly MUCH worse than just using common sense - and I'm sure everyone on here can help steer you away from those places!)

Anyway - good luck! Canton and Fed Hill would be good places to check out, too - - but rents will be higher there. You might be able to get a studio for a $1000??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: