Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,758 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Bethesda, MD and I might take a job in Baltimore next month or so. It's in downtown Baltimore and I wanna move somewhere closer. I don't like driving so closer is always better. I wouldn't mind driving 15 minutes, 20 max to downtown MD. I will consider cities close to Baltimore if the commute is not bad. What's important for me: safety,safety, safety, then peace and nice neighborhood. I have a daughter who's a toddler and I would like a place thats good for kids as well, daycares and that sort of thing. I also like neighborhoods where u can walk to a cafe, grocery store, or park.What areas would you recommend? Should I move to Baltimore or cities close to it? Any input is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by DCmum; 02-14-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

181 posts, read 634,195 times
Well, where exactly is your job in Baltimore located? And are you wanting to rent or to buy? What is your price range? These questions must be answered before we can help!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Its on Thames street. I'm looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom not more than 1200. Thank you

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM

805 posts, read 2,117,810 times
That area seems like it would be nice during the day. At night with the bars then you will have to deal with a different sort of crowd.

Locust Point, Federal Hill, Mt Vernon, Bolton Hill, Patterson Park, Canton, Butchers Hill, Charles Village, Hampden, and Roland Park would be good areas for you to research that are in the city.

I live in Bolton Hill and it really fits exactly what you are looking for to the T.

Towson, Catonsville, and Arbutus are areas in the suburbs close to the city that might work for you.

The suburbs will be safer but you will have to pretty much drive everywhere and crime still happens there.
Rash of crime in Long Green Valley roils residents - baltimoresun.com

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM

mrboltonman,
Thank you. Could you tell me more about Bolton Hills? The demographics? culture?daycares? safety? How far is it from thames street? Thank you

Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM

805 posts, read 2,117,810 times
I'm getting ready to leave for vacation so can't really post much.

This site has a lot of info:
boltonhill.org > Neighborhood

I was wrong about the daycare in the neighborhood. It's a center to help children.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
Well if you don't want to drive more than 15-20 minutes, you're probably limited to Baltimore City, since almost anywhere outside of it and much of the city itself will be farther than that to Fells Point (Thames St.)

You live in Bethesda now and your budget is $1200? I didn't know you could get a cardboard box in Bethesda for $1200. That's probably doable in Baltimore, but could be tough, especially if you wanted a 2BR in one of the more desireable areas.

Maybe Mt. Washington could be another possibility?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM

mrboltonman, thank you. I will check it out.

GoPhils, my 2 bedroom in Bethesda costs about $1950/month. Obviously, I'm not looking to spend that much in Baltimore! What's the price range for a decent 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood in Baltimore? Is Fells Point safe? I could drive about 30 minutes if need be, what other safe areas are about 30 minutes from Thames street?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
Fells Point is one of the safer areas of Baltimore, but it also tends to be somewhat of a younger crowd, especially on the weekends, don't know how many toddlers are living there.

Not sure what you've read on these forums about Baltimore, but if you were looking for "safety, safety, safety" honestly I don't know if you will feel safe in any part of Baltimore. There are many "safe" neighborhoods in Baltimore (mrboltonman mentioned many of them), but almost all of them are only a few blocks away from not so safe neighborhoods, so it depends on your comfort level.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM

GoPhils, yes safety, safety, safety is my priority as its just going to be me and my daughter. So I wanna be in an area where I can walk or stroll with my daughter at any reasonable time of the day and feel safe, something along the lines of Bethesda, Georgetown.... If Baltimore city is as sketchy as you're saying, I would probably not be vry comfortable in those areas, what other areas close to Baltimore would you then recommend, even if it means I'd have to drive further? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore