Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 09:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Yes, you can "override" it. You have to be on the instruments (gauges), and ignore what your body is telling you. Everyone will get it at times. A good chunk of instrument training is just that, learning to believe your instruments, and not your body. Recurrent training should always include unusual attitude situations. In order to recover from that, you have to believe in your instruments, same as if you have vertigo. The training is set up to put you in that situation (under a controlled environment).

Flying an aircraft without outside reference, is instrument flight. That means flying and believing in the instruments, and not what your body is telling you.

Newer autopilots are now coming with a button on them that is designed to recover the aircraft from that type of situation.
Also during your instrument training, your IP will put foggles on you, place the aircraft at an unusual attitude, and then pass the controls along to you and you will be required to recover to a normal attitude.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM

529 posts, read 491,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Also during your instrument training, your IP will put foggles on you, place the aircraft at an unusual attitude, and then pass the controls along to you and you will be required to recover to a normal attitude.
Yes, guess I should clarify, that during the instrument training, and unusual attitude training, the pilot/student is wearing a device that restricts the ability to see outside the aircraft, simulating the environment of being in a cloud. The pilot can only use the instruments in the aircraft. In the helicopter, we would tape paper on the inside of the windows on the pilot side to restrict the ability to see outside due to the windows (canopy) below the instrument panel. Something you do not have to do with an airplane.

Understand that during all training, you have your instructor, or a safety pilot with you, that has unrestricted vision inside and outside the aircraft. That instructor/safety pilot must be rated in the aircraft, and current.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:21 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Dpm144KXo

Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Fascinating. At the least, it indicates how that left turn down Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon was the point where everything began to go very wrong. As I've said before, that is not the way to Camarillo unless taking a very very long way around. There would be absolutely no reason to make that detour, unless he was looking for a place to land it. I don't believe that was the case as he gave no indication to ATC.

When will the NTSB have their final report released? Anyone know?

Old 06-01-2020, 05:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Fascinating. At the least, it indicates how that left turn down Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon was the point where everything began to go very wrong. As I've said before, that is not the way to Camarillo unless taking a very very long way around. There would be absolutely no reason to make that detour, unless he was looking for a place to land it. I don't believe that was the case as he gave no indication to ATC.

When will the NTSB have their final report released? Anyone know?

They said it will take about a year for the final report

Read the Preliminary N.T.S.B. Report About the Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crash - Federal investigators released their first written report about the crash near Calabasas, Calif., that killed the retired Los Angeles Lakers star and eight others. Feb. 7, 2020

Quote:
The helicopter was flying through thickening fog when it crashed into a hillside near Calabasas, Calif., on Jan. 26. The two engines recovered from the wreckage did not show evidence of internal failure, according to the report. It said the helicopter was traveling at about 184 miles per hour and descending at more than 4,000 feet per minute.

An N.T.S.B. spokesman has said the investigation is likely to take at least a year.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Thanks!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
You can actually in really rare instances get disorientation in VFR slightly hazy conditions. I used to fly out of SNA-POC-CCB CABLE.......never had a problem at night on the gauges or my occasional ventures into fog including several ILS practice approaches into Bracket.

One afternoon I took off out of Cable and went down to the old Norton base for some touch and goes and a simulated engine out or two on 10,000ft runways. On the way back it was the usual route along the base of the mountains north of Cable, a route flown dozens of times. The field is a couple miles from the hills and is on a broad sloping plain going away from the mountain range. As I approached the point where we all turned inbound to the field by the dam, suddenly this feeling I was a couple thousand feet too high came over me and not in a fun way........never had the feeling before or since but it was really powerful and probably due to the descent over the sloping terrain........stared at the field and back at the gauges as I started the approach and it still felt weird.....not a big deal looking out the window at things.......but it certainly brought home how ugly things could get in the soup.........

Old 06-07-2020, 12:24 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You can actually in really rare instances get disorientation in VFR slightly hazy conditions. I used to fly out of SNA-POC-CCB CABLE.......never had a problem at night on the gauges or my occasional ventures into fog including several ILS practice approaches into Bracket.

One afternoon I took off out of Cable and went down to the old Norton base for some touch and goes and a simulated engine out or two on 10,000ft runways. On the way back it was the usual route along the base of the mountains north of Cable, a route flown dozens of times. The field is a couple miles from the hills and is on a broad sloping plain going away from the mountain range. As I approached the point where we all turned inbound to the field by the dam, suddenly this feeling I was a couple thousand feet too high came over me and not in a fun way........never had the feeling before or since but it was really powerful and probably due to the descent over the sloping terrain........stared at the field and back at the gauges as I started the approach and it still felt weird.....not a big deal looking out the window at things.......but it certainly brought home how ugly things could get in the soup.........
That sounds scary in a jet everything happens so fast I wonder how many military pilots end up in the ground from spatial disorientation even with best training in the world.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported he was climbing when he actually was descending, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday (6/17/20).

Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing to 4,000 feet to get above clouds on Jan. 26, when, in fact, the chopper was plunging toward a hillside where it crashed northwest of Los Angeles, killing all nine people aboard.

The report by the National Transportation Safety Board said Zobayan may have "misperceived" the angles at which he was descending and banking, which can happen when a pilot becomes disoriented in low visibility.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...bing-ntsb-says

Old 06-18-2020, 03:25 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Thanks for the article. Let me be the 1st to say wow I was wrong and am shocked. Wonder why they didn't release that months ago. I've always said that we don't know the last convo they had.

Interesting that the weather the day before was worst and that the company had sent someone looking for the flight.

I've been waiting to see if Vanessa tried to have Kobe's sperm harvested so that she could have a son. I do wonder what was left of everyone after slamming into the mountain and fire. I guess we'll wait to hear a comment from her side next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported he was climbing when he actually was descending, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday (6/17/20).

Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing to 4,000 feet to get above clouds on Jan. 26, when, in fact, the chopper was plunging toward a hillside where it crashed northwest of Los Angeles, killing all nine people aboard.

The report by the National Transportation Safety Board said Zobayan may have "misperceived" the angles at which he was descending and banking, which can happen when a pilot becomes disoriented in low visibility.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...bing-ntsb-says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation