Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Research the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Fares used to be set by the feds. After the Act, it's been a race to the bottom.

Recreational flyers complain about airlines not providing services, but they will switch carriers for a $5 fare difference in a heartbeat. That means ticket price is everything for those types of travelers, and service doesn't matter. Carriers like WN (Southwest) and others wouldn't have existed pre-deregulation in their current form.

Thread closed! Nothing more to see here folks, move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
...attractive stewardesses in pleasing uniforms...

frumpy airline staff who look and act like they escaped from a prison chain gang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Also dealing with an angry chubby stewardess who grumbles under he breath
I don't think your thread is actually about aviation.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The US carrier I like best is Southwest. They hardly ever delay or cancel their flights.
Seriously?

Southwest extends fare sale because of glitch, warns of long lines

Southwest struggles to recover from massive computer outage - CBS News

Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Sure most of us prefer pretty and young flight attendants (the most amazing ones I met on Asiana and Korean Air ) but when it comes to the overall flight experience, I want a crew that is experienced and capable of evacuating the airplane quickly, that knows how to handle unruly passengers and those with fear of flying, and that is always professional. I would trade in the eye-candy for safety and professionalism at any time.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Research the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Fares used to be set by the feds. After the Act, it's been a race to the bottom.

Recreational flyers complain about airlines not providing services, but they will switch carriers for a $5 fare difference in a heartbeat. That means ticket price is everything for those types of travelers, and service doesn't matter. Carriers like WN (Southwest) and others wouldn't have existed pre-deregulation in their current form.
I used to fly weekly or more for business. A round trip COACH ticket between Chicago and NY/NJ typically ran in excess of $800 ( about $2,413 in 2016 USD) in the 80's. It was necessary to stay over a weekend to get a discount or engage in the back to back ticketing game. Back then, there was a tad more leg room. No steak or lobster in Coach. A cocktail cost $4. If I missed the 4:00, no worries there was a 5,6,7 and 8:00 flight and usually seats available.

For those with high levels of frequent flyer point, one could upgrade to first class for $40. No steak or lobster but alcohol was free and hot noise washcloths were disbursed.

Deregulation led to price wars, and survival of the so called fittest.

30 years later, the same flight costs a fraction of what it did 30 years ago. Seems beyond unreasonable to expect to pay a fraction of the former ticket price and expect the same leg room, food and benefits.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
In 2014, the world's oldest flight attendant retired at age 90. HE had been a flight attendent for 63 years.

The current oldest turned 80 this year and has more than 50 years of service.

The World's Most Senior Flight Attendant Is Still Going Strong! - One Mile at a Time

I have a neighbor who is 70 something. She continues to fly long haul between Chicago and Hong Kong. In terms of seniority, there are about 100 flight attendants with more seniority than her.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Because anything you make more affordable and accessible to the general public turns into a total nightmare.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I used to fly weekly or more for business. A round trip COACH ticket between Chicago and NY/NJ typically ran in excess of $800 ( about $2,413 in 2016 USD) in the 80's. It was necessary to stay over a weekend to get a discount or engage in the back to back ticketing game. Back then, there was a tad more leg room. No steak or lobster in Coach. A cocktail cost $4. If I missed the 4:00, no worries there was a 5,6,7 and 8:00 flight and usually seats available.

For those with high levels of frequent flyer point, one could upgrade to first class for $40. No steak or lobster but alcohol was free and hot noise washcloths were disbursed.

Deregulation led to price wars, and survival of the so called fittest.

30 years later, the same flight costs a fraction of what it did 30 years ago. Seems beyond unreasonable to expect to pay a fraction of the former ticket price and expect the same leg room, food and benefits.
I don't care about food or benefits. They can keep their yucky airplane food, and I don't need wider seats or leg room. What I dislike the most is being treated like a criminal because of a terrorist attack that occurred almost 15 years ago that has made the flying experience miserable for many, if not most travelers. It takes forever to get through security, and it only gets slower and slower every time. We waste so much money on the TSA that we should be spending on other things, especially since they are ridiculously inefficient. And security only gets more invasive. And for what? To reduce the chance that a one in a zillion attack will occur.

The odds of another attack happening are microscopic. There is risk in everything, and we will all die someday. Don't get me wrong; 9/11 was a terrible tragedy, but ironically, we allowed the terrorists to win by going overboard with security procedures, and endlessly harping on how dangerous they are to us. I would be willing to take a higher risk on a plane to reduce the screening process somewhat (and probably not even reduce its effectiveness one bit) and preserve my dignity.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
In a word GREED !

Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
Simple answer - Travel by air has become necessary.
From 2013 - "On average, every day more than 8 million people fly. In 2013 total passenger numbers were 3.1 billion—surpassing the 3 billion mark for the first time ever. That number is expected to grow to 3.3 billion in 2014 (equivalent to 44% of the world’s population)." (IATA - New Year)
The goal now is to get from point A to point B, not for relatively few to have a glamorous experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation