Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times

Advertisements

What happens if both pilots become incapacitated. Before you say how? I understand it is highly unlikely, but still possible.

A related question, if the captain or copilot go to the bathroom, does someone, a flight attendant perhaps , go into the cockpit while he does so there are 2 people in the cockpit at all times? My guess is yes but I've never been up front to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
It is standard at the airlines to always have two people in the cockpit. So yes when a pilot uses the bathroom a flight attendant will go in.

As for two pilots becoming incapacitated its a very rare situation but certainly not impossible. Look up Helios Airlines Flight 522.

I am not sure what happens then but I am confident there is some way to get into the cockpit, at least I hope there is. But any airlines pilot or flight attendant shouldn't tell you the procedure anyway.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
I'm not sure about the procedures cabin crews take when both the captain and first officer become incapacitated, but I imagine there are certain procedure they'll take to get access to the flight deck.

As far as having 2 people in the flight deck, when the captain or the F.O. have to use the bathroom, I don't believe that's a requirement when a commercial airliner is at cruise altitude, since the aircraft are usually on auto-pilot. One of the pilots should be able to fly the aircraft and handle communications with the control center in the region they're in. Both pilots are obviously required to be in the flight deck during take-offs and landings, so I'm sure they'll take care of any business in the bathroom prior to those phases of the flight.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is standard at the airlines to always have two people in the cockpit. So yes when a pilot uses the bathroom a flight attendant will go in.

As for two pilots becoming incapacitated its a very rare situation but certainly not impossible. Look up Helios Airlines Flight 522.

I am not sure what happens then but I am confident there is some way to get into the cockpit, at least I hope there is. But any airlines pilot or flight attendant shouldn't tell you the procedure anyway.
Whenever I see the crew move in and out of the cockpit on Delta, I never see a FA enter.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Whenever I see the crew move in and out of the cockpit on Delta, I never see a FA enter.
This could possibly be due to the presence of a pilot riding along in the jumpseat.

The flight attendants do have a means for getting in the cockpit if both pilots are incapacitated. Not sure it would do any good. It could possibly allow a passenger who is a pilot to get the plane on the ground.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
I don't ride up front much but when I do I have always noticed the Flight Attendant going in if there are only two pilots. I was recently on an American Eagle ERJ-135 and the pilot went to use the bathroom and the only flight attendant went into the cockpit while the pilot was in the lavatory.

Different airlines could have different procedures and I usually fly American or American Eagle. It is also sometimes procedure to when one pilot leaves the cockpit to have the other pilot put on their oxygen mask.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I don't ride up front much but when I do I have always noticed the Flight Attendant going in if there are only two pilots. I was recently on an American Eagle ERJ-135 and the pilot went to use the bathroom and the only flight attendant went into the cockpit while the pilot was in the lavatory.

Different airlines could have different procedures and I usually fly American or American Eagle. It is also sometimes procedure to when one pilot leaves the cockpit to have the other pilot put on their oxygen mask.
The last part of that is a federal regulation for when the aircraft is operating above 25,000 feet. Time of useful consciousness at those altitudes is pretty short, and when only having one pilot in the cockpit, it becomes a legitimate concern.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The last part of that is a federal regulation for when the aircraft is operating above 25,000 feet. Time of useful consciousness at those altitudes is pretty short, and when only having one pilot in the cockpit, it becomes a legitimate concern.
What, if two people are in the cockpit then one of them wouldn't go unconscious from loss of oxygen? Makes no sense.

My experience has been that when a pilot has to use a restroom the flight attendant positions themself in the aisle between the cabin and the restroom, as a kind of a bodyguard. I've even seen them place a food cart there too. Seems more pragmatic to me.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
If the Pilot leaves the cockpit and the flight attendant enters after which the FO becomes incapacitated, exactly what is the flight attendant going to do?

Open the door for the returning pilot is about it.

If the flight attendant(s) can open the cockpit door from outside, so can anyone else. Think it through just a bit.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This could possibly be due to the presence of a pilot riding along in the jumpseat.

The flight attendants do have a means for getting in the cockpit if both pilots are incapacitated. Not sure it would do any good. It could possibly allow a passenger who is a pilot to get the plane on the ground.
How do you know they have the means?

The pilots become incapacitated, maybe because of a threat. The person involved and seated raises their arms and says "meee meeee meeee" when the request for a passenger who is a pilot goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation