Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,233,504 times

Advertisements

I just got notified that my '05 Prius is due for it's 30,000 mile check up. (yes, the previous owner WAS a little ole lady!) The card says the check up will cost me at least $399.))!!! For a check up??? Maybe it's my dealership? I sure don't agree with all the commercials for Toyota saying intellichoice.com says owning a Toyota is cheaper than lots of cars. Does anyone who may know more about cars hae any advice for me? A friend's hubby ownes a gas station and he says he can do it for much less and it will not effect my warranty. Is this correct? I need to make up my mind soon since I am now going on 32K miles. (yes, I drive much more than previous owner)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,681,526 times
Don't pay what they're asking.

Here are a couple of discussions on this very topic. Naturally they're old because it's an older car:

Prius 30K mile service prices - Page 4 - PriusChat Forums

30K service - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

I would call around and look for prices for the service items listed in your book.

I also recommend Priuschat.com as a good source for Prius information.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,220,324 times
First of all - the dealer is not the same thing as Toyota Inc.

Dealers of probably every make try to sell extra and unneeded service. I would only do what the owners manual recommends. I bet this service reminder includes many things that Toyota does not require at 30K miles.

By the way - even if $399 were a fair price - do you really think spending $400 every 30K miles for preventative maintenance is a lot of money? Has the car broken down for you? I bet not.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,233,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Don't pay what they're asking.

Here are a couple of discussions on this very topic. Naturally they're old because it's an older car:

Prius 30K mile service prices - Page 4 - PriusChat Forums

30K service - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

I would call around and look for prices for the service items listed in your book.

I also recommend Priuschat.com as a good source for Prius information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
First of all - the dealer is not the same thing as Toyota Inc.

Dealers of probably every make try to sell extra and unneeded service. I would only do what the owners manual recommends. I bet this service reminder includes many things that Toyota does not require at 30K miles.

By the way - even if $399 were a fair price - do you really think spending $400 every 30K miles for preventative maintenance is a lot of money? Has the car broken down for you? I bet not.

Thank you for the links, Jack. I will check them out.

Yes, hoff, I do consider $399 a steep price for maintenance. I've already brought the car in twice because it wouldn't start. The problem was the keyless entry system meaning the fob. They said they checked everything out both times. other than that the car runs like a top.

One day after we bought the car all this bad press started about Prius and I was worried sick but "she's" just doing fine for me and I figure after 5 years without anything going drastically wrong, the car must not be a lemon one. The car had just gotten onto the lot an hour before we got there so I also figure it was "meant to be" since I've wanted one since they came out. Hated to get rid of my Saturn but averaging 51.9 MPG is wonderful.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

42 posts, read 46,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I just got notified that my '05 Prius is due for it's 30,000 mile check up. (yes, the previous owner WAS a little ole lady!) The card says the check up will cost me at least $399.))!!! For a check up??? Maybe it's my dealership? I sure don't agree with all the commercials for Toyota saying intellichoice.com says owning a Toyota is cheaper than lots of cars. Does anyone who may know more about cars hae any advice for me? A friend's hubby ownes a gas station and he says he can do it for much less and it will not effect my warranty. Is this correct? I need to make up my mind soon since I am now going on 32K miles. (yes, I drive much more than previous owner)
Thats what you get for driving a Hybrid.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,239,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

What planet do you live on where this is considered reasonable???

Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
That's like $200/year in mx, the only thing cheaper would be riding a bike. Sounds pretty cheap to me!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM

211 posts, read 641,921 times
Hybrids are not cheap ownership. You just use less fuel.

This is cheap ownership. You pay for them in cash, a year's registration and insurance costs less than a family of four going out to dinner and a movie. And when you get tired of them, you put them back on Craigslist and sell them for within $100 of what you paid for them.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,188,744 times
dumb question, but what exactly is involved with the maintenance? i generally find a lot of it is stuff i can do myself, then i take the car in and have them do whatever i cannot (or will not) do myself. saves a good deal of money.

Mike

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,361,117 times
the worse I can see that can happen after 5 years is those battry packs needing to be replaced. which can cost up 5-7 grand and at some point they will need to be replaced.

That is why if I were to go green as the say it would be for a diesel car or truck just because they get close to the same freeway mileage and don't have battery packs that can fail and most independant shops can work on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive