Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,069,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Nobody puts their **** in my cars. I have a fully equipped garage, or when others do it, I supply parts and supplies. And I get to stand besides the man to watch him do it.
Then you have just explained why you're able to do it for that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times
in the old days the standard was 2 years or 24,000 miles which ever came first. these days you can use that standard if you like, or go with the owners manual recommendation on fluid changes. one caveat, be sure to read up on what the factory calls severe service, its not what you might think it is.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 AM

792 posts, read 2,879,721 times
One reason to change the ATF is that your shifts will improve. People put all sorts of additives into their cars hoping it will drive better, or they get rid of cars because they don't like how they drive. Replacing old ATF will often make a dramatic difference. It can make your clunker shift well again. How often to do it I don't know, but i can say it's the closest thing to "magic in a bottle" I've ever used.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,396,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Actually, there IS a very simple way - but it's not particularly easy.

There is a "level plug" (probably) on the passenger side of the transmission, about 3" from the bottom of the tranny. I believe it's an 11mm head on the bolt. It's basically like an old RWD differential. Pull the plug & add oil until it flows out the hole.

Admittedly, it's a stupid design, but it's not at all difficult to check or service.
I used to check my fluid when there was a dip stick you could pull out. Now with my newer model car it doesn't have that. For the more mechanically minded like you, it's an easy check, but I think most mechanically illiterate people like me won't go unplugging things underneath the car for fear I might release too much fluid so I rely on the mechanics to do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,652,336 times
I do it once a year or 15k on all my vehicles . Change the fluid and filter. I use whatever brand was in the transmission from the factory.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM

870 posts, read 2,114,348 times
I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna LE (~75k miles). I know that a tranmission flush/exchange will be recommended when I take it in for an oil change and alignment. Unfortunately, Toyota doesn't indicate the frequency or method of transmission fluid replacement in the owner's manual or maintenance guide. The guide simply states that it transmission fluid should be inspected at 60k and 120k.

From this forum, it seems like flushes are generally discouraged, and that drain and fills would be preferable. Does anyone know if this extends to Toyotas?

FWIW, the vehicle is in Northern Virginia (so neither extreme in temperature in general) and is driven ~7500 miles per year in mostly surburban travel (minimal hard acceleration and braking). Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 PM

929 posts, read 2,729,783 times
Default Trans Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
A lot of people have their transmissions go out at 30K to 40K miles. Especially people who drive Chryslers. Being semi-paranoid, if I drove a car noted for transmission issues*, I'd change the fluid every 20K miles.

* Consumer Reports ($25 per year online subscription) has an excellent database on owner experiences with various makes and models. It's far more useful than the JD Power initial quality survey, which is helpful only to people who want to know how a new car drives and looks when it's brand new.
Yepp I agree, anything Chrysler benefits from frequent changes.
My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan just turned 160K. The TF has been changed 5 times.
So has the coolant and power steering fluid. This car has been the family work horse, excessive idle time, towed dirt bikes all over the SE USA, many trips fully loaded.
Now my friend bought the same car a few months later. Not abused as bad as mine and he has just over 100k. He never has changed these fluids and hasn't had a problem.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

929 posts, read 2,729,783 times
Default Trans Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
My cars get a drain + refill (without dropping the pan) on their tranny every oil change, which is once or twice a year. 15-20 bucks for tranny fluid is actually cheaper than the oil change.
For years I drove Toyota Trucks, prior to Tacomas, I also performed the trans drain and fill. These trucks had differential and transmission drain plugs. I simply drained and refilled the transmission every few old changes. I think it took about 3 quarts ? each time.
Back in those days I did almost everything myself.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,789,876 times
some trannies are fill for life, never need changing.....just sayin'....owners manual first.

OP have you checked the fluid to see if it smells bad and is not the beautiful burgundy red color it should be?

Last edited by CCc girl; 11-15-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,324,838 times
A lot of it depends upon how many miles you put on a vehicle and what you do with it. I changed the transmission, oil, radiator, and all the filters at 35,000 on my F150 because I'd been towing and doing other heavy duty driving. It was 37 quarts of assorted fluids and cost about $125 for all with labor. Now I don't drive 3,000 miles a year, or have the truck. I change oil in the fall and spring. I've always changed oil every 3.000 because I always did. I know it is "old school", but I'd rather be safe than sorry as I tend to drive older vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive