Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done the Edmunds used car search and then bought through that dealership? Some of those deals seem too good to be true and am wondering if they post those to lure buyers only to tell them "Sorry that vehicle is no longer available but I do have these" aka bait and switch.

Also, what is the protocol when buying used cars? Do you ask for 10% off of what is listed? I'm looking at some 2008 E-Class Mercedes that seem to be priced fairly high at the price they are asking but wouldn't be bad if they were 3K to 5K less. I'm only looking at the certified pre-owned and dealership only (as opposed to private dealers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,631,418 times
i've only used Edmunds for dealer quotes on new cars but I've found that it was quicker to just directly contact the internet sales manager of particular dealerships, rather than waiting for an email reply. A couple dealerships never responded & another msged me 2 weeks later! I'm not sure how it works with CPO's though.

The best deals I've found with luxury brands are the "corporate" cars that are the previous years models used for publicity & marketing events and have 2~5k miles on them but are legally considered "new" cars, so they can actually be leased at a 1yr used car price. The only drawback is that these corporate demos often are fully loaded with premium packages so a heavy discount may still be more than what you intend to spend if you weren't going to get navi, winter package, sports suspension, 19" rims.

Go to several sites like cars.com, carsdirect, kbb and average the estimated values up & deduct a thousand to get a basic starting point for negotiation. Unfortunately with CPO's it's been my experience that you only get the best price if you stop on in & play the whole game of haggle, him, haw & walkout, callback etc. It's a huge waste of time but you can save $2 to $4k if you're persistent & you've got other dealers in the area applying competitive pressure. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive