Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 AM

890 posts, read 3,706,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I enjoy my Civic and am a long time Honda owner, but I can not defend them on the new Insight, total Prius ripoff.
The original Insight was criticized for being way to geeky while the Prius was slightly less so, it outsold the Insight something like 10 to 1. If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,986,967 times
I would never purchase a Hybrid. First off, the intital cost is usually 5k more than the base model. More importantly, you will need to replace the battery which makes it a Hybrid after around 50k. It will run you around 4k to replace. That is why you do not see many used Hybrids for sale.

I'm convinced people buy Hybrids just so they can brag about it. Its an awful investment.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM

42 posts, read 141,149 times
The Civic Hybrid has an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty from the factory. The Tech from Round Rock Honda said he has not replaced a battery until around 100K miles and the cost is between $2,000 - $3,000. I don't believe that is so bad. More than likely I would have traded long before the 100K miles. I also do not believe people buy Hybrids just to brag about them. I am looking into the future when the gas prices rise and I will at least be able to get around.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM

747 posts, read 2,763,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVES YORKIES View Post
More than likely I would have traded long before the 100K miles.
You have to run the numbers and see if you'll break even on the higher purchase price vs. fuel savings.

Or how about an economical gasoline-powered car like a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris?

Quote:

Buy Small
Though Americans typically shun small cars, the honest truth is that buying a small car is the best way to reduce your car's environmental impact. In fact, most of today's subcompacts aren't the lame penalty boxes they used to be. The Honda Fit, for instance, is incredibly roomy and versatile on the inside despite its small overall size. It's also one of the most fuel-efficient small cars you can buy, with an EPA rating of 28/35 mpg for a 2010 model. Other top small but enjoyable-to-drive cars include the Hyundai Elantra and Ford's upcoming Fiesta.
Top 10 Easy Ways to Drive Green (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/146306/article.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive