Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM

232 posts, read 633,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Okay so I think I figured it out. When I turn on the AC it doesn't come on it just rattles. Does this mean my fan is broken? How much does something like that cost?
It could mean that your AC is broke in addition to an overheating engine.

I am not sure what you are saying.....your AC doesn't work and it just rattles? Or your radiator fan doesn't work and it just rattles? Other then a belt on the crank, your AC system is pretty much seperate from your engines cooling system.

Maybe your A/C clutch bearing needs to be replaced. That could explain the rattlling when you use AC. But I don't think that will cause overheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,364 times
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in which the radiator fan "clutch" died. At a stop, the temperature would creep up, then when I started moving again it would come back down. Cost about $200 to fix 5 years ago.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times
Before go installing fans, etc. I would take it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked. Could be the fans or your water pump getting weak. You can get out and listen for the fans to see if they are on.... maybe even see them.

As far as oil loss, you may want to make sure its not "burning" oil. If I am not mistaken those cars have a history of oil burning issues b/c of bad valve seals. When idling at a stop light for a minute or so, notice if the car leaves a cloud of smoke when you accelerate.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 AM

625 posts, read 3,636,214 times
I am taking it to a mechanic but with limited savings and no job I am trying to be cost efficient. when I am idle for a while the thermostat slowly creeps up. I have noticed that my fan does not come on and it used to come on a little more than I would like but I never had engine overheating problems. I still think Midas did something to it. I am just hoping it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
If you are out of work, why go to Midas for an oil change? Can't you DIY? It's not exactly rocket science. You probably know more than the knucklehead that did the oil change anyway, even if you know little about cars.

It's possible the meatheads at Midas damaged something in the fan circuit, not very likely but possible.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Because I did not think about doing it myself it was my last week of work and I decided I should try to get some car maintenance done. I figured for $20 I'd have a professional do it since it's what I have always done and I had a few bucks. Anyway I took it to my usual shop today and he checked the relay switches and the one was loose so he adjusted it. The fan came on and it started running a little better. But while sitting in park for about 10 minutes it started to creep up again. They don't know what's wrong because it's not running hot. That's the last time I go to Midas...

I need a bus pass....

Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM

432 posts, read 3,659,784 times
I had this exactly problem once. I replaced the $10 fuse for the cooling fan and the problem was solved.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I had this exactly problem once. I replaced the $10 fuse for the cooling fan and the problem was solved.
Thanks I am going to see if that works if this continues

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
I used to work in a garage.

We changed a customer's clutch on the Thursday.
On the Monday, he brought the car back to us, complaining it wasn't right.
Turned out his cassette player had stopped playing tapes, but, "it was alright until us cowboys got our hands on the car"

I suspect the link between his clutch, and cassette player, and the link between your overheating, and oil change to be equally strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
So you don't think it has anything to do with the oil being changed?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I used to work in a garage.

We changed a customer's clutch on the Thursday.
On the Monday, he brought the car back to us, complaining it wasn't right.
Turned out his cassette player had stopped playing tapes, but, "it was alright until us cowboys got our hands on the car"

I suspect the link between his clutch, and cassette player, and the link between your overheating, and oil change to be equally strong.
Seen that happen more than a few times. It's always easier just to lay the blame off onto someone else.

And it's easy to say anyone who works on cars for a living is out to rip you a new one or to say the guy working at the oil change place is a moron.

Guess I never will understand some people's way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive