Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,714,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
How come cars aren't banned?

Imagine if I just invented a new product and said only 40K people will be killed annually from it; or a Pharmaceutical Company invents a new drug and claims only 40K deaths per year. There is no way they would be approved, yet the Auto Industry is immune?

FOXNews.com - Car Crashes Kill 40,000 in U.S. Every Year - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
There is no "anti car" nannys like there is for such things as tobacco and fatty foods. That and the fact that there is way to much money involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,730,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I know that people choose to drive cars despite the high fatality rate because of the thought or illusion of being in control of what's going to happen. You don't get that feeling on a plane or ship, train, etc. Seems like cars aren't banned because they seem so necessary for most people to get to their jobs and contribute to the economy etc. I like the idea that you have the freedom to go any speed you want and to drive however you like, it is just very unfortunate that not everyone can have that freedom and use it wisely. I was always under the impression that if all drivers were highly skilled then alot of these avoidable accidents would never happen.
Cars aren't banned because they aren't inherently dangerous. If you park a car in a field, it will sit there until it returns to the earth. Put a person behind the wheel that isn't properly trained or respectful, and let them interact with other humans, and you can get deaths. I agree with you - if people had more respect for vehicles and were made to be more skilled to get the privilege to drive, we'd see less deaths related to cars. Its simply too easy to get a license, and people do not drive with enough respect for the vehicles or others.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 PM

527 posts, read 1,327,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Cars aren't banned because they aren't inherently dangerous. If you park a car in a field, it will sit there until it returns to the earth. Put a person behind the wheel that isn't properly trained or respectful, and let them interact with other humans, and you can get deaths. I agree with you - if people had more respect for vehicles and were made to be more skilled to get the privilege to drive, we'd see less deaths related to cars. Its simply too easy to get a license, and people do not drive with enough respect for the vehicles or others.
ya I agree with you there, not sure why I came up with that nonsense I wrote!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,091,847 times
If that number were applied to air travel, it would be about two or two & a half jets crashing every day. Would you fly if you knew that it was highly likely that at least two jets would crash that day?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,258,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
If that number were applied to air travel, it would be about two or two & a half jets crashing every day. Would you fly if you knew that it was highly likely that at least two jets would crash that day?
More people rely on cars than plane for daily travel. These sorts of comparisons are silly.

While having good driving skills is essential (obviously), I think the key factor is distractions. Food, drinks, cell phones, radios, etc. I consider myself a good, cautious driver, however I am guilty of letting my guard down when flipping through the radio. Multi-tasking and driving don't mix well, no matter how skilled you are.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM

232 posts, read 634,196 times
Quote:
Car Crashes Kill 40,000 in U.S. Every Year--How come cars aren't banned?
I agree. They should ban car crashes.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,151,646 times
One time I was flying a plane and got sky-head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive