Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,384,159 times

Advertisements

It looks like you'd only save about $20 per month to refinance $14,000 at 3.5% for 42 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 91,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Are you trying to save money from your monthly payment, or are you interested in saving money in interest? If you can get a refinance loan for longer than your current term, then you'll pay less each month but you'll pay more interest in the long run. There's not much point in refinancing for a shorter term since you can just do that yourself by paying more against the principle each month.
Well, I'm trying to do both. Lower monthly payments as well as save on interest.

I think I may have waited too long to try and refinance. I'm not willing to add more years on to the loan just to have a cheaper montly payment. Just like you said, I will be paying more interest in the long run.

I think it's best for me just to keep the loan and try to pay it off early to avoid the rest of the interest.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,493,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellabone View Post
Well, I'm trying to do both. Lower monthly payments as well as save on interest.

I think I may have waited too long to try and refinance. I'm not willing to add more years on to the loan just to have a cheaper montly payment. Just like you said, I will be paying more interest in the long run.

I think it's best for me just to keep the loan and try to pay it off early to avoid the rest of the interest.
But just pay what you are paying as your current payment then. For example on a house if you get a 30 year loan vs. a 15 year loan, you can pay the 15 year loan payment amount on the 30 year loan and it'll be paid off in...wait for it...15 years. As long as there is no pre-payment penalty there is no negative to refi-ing at a long term but keep making the payment you were making.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
OP, you never said what the costs to refinance are - if you can refinance at little or no cost, and get a better interest rate, I would do that, even if the payout date for the loan were pushed out in time - here's why - most credit union car loans have no pre-payment penalty - so you can go on and pay the same or more that you are paying now, with the option to pay less if you need it.

Some people have self-dicipline problems and won't pay more than they have to, also check and verify that the refi you are offered really does not have any pre-payment penalty.

Lower interest is always better, it may or may not make your refinance cost back for you in a reasonable time frame though.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,140,433 times
Yellabone: Did you ask Security Service if they do refinancing? Any bank loves repeat business! Yes, they are losing out on the interest you pay overall for the life of the loan but they want to hook you as a long term customer!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,512,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellabone View Post
I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord brand new in 2007. Loan amount was a little over $20,000 for 75 months at 6.7%(Credit Score 690). I had just purchased a new home in 2006 at that time so my credit score took a little hit at the time I purchased my car. Monthly payments are $337.46.

Anyway, the interest rates are much better(3.2-3.7%) and credit score is 716. I have a little over 3 years left to pay off the car. I'm with Security Service Federal Credit Union. Is it worth refinancing?

Thanks in advance.
Can you refi? I doubt your car is worth $14,000, so you won't be able to refi in that case--you owe more than the car is worth according to the lender in question.

Nor can you stretch a refi on a three year old car out beyond 48 months on a used car and most lenders are around 6.5% for used as well. Then there is teh issue of you buying a house and that jacking up your debt to income ratio. If a $337/month payment is too much, I doubt you get a refi loan.

Did not see that brought up yet.

You have to dump this car. Find a private buyer and have the lender cut a deal with you to pay off the leftover balance and let the buyer's lender get a hold of the title.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,187,839 times
Id refinance it, and pay as much as possible towards it (as close to your normal payment as possible)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive