Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,154,412 times

Advertisements

I have a 95 Toyotal Tacoma, 4x4, v6, extended cab. Had it since new and it has been an AWESOME vehicle with almost zero problems. It has 199,xxx miles (litterally just short of 200k). I've done, or had done, all maintenance, oil changes, etc. (It's been well cared for)

Recently replaced the radiator, which is not leaking, but I've had to add antifreeze twice.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, it woiuld not start, not enough juice to get it going, the battery was old, so I replaced it. No problem. It drove for about a week, and then the exact same problem. When it ran, it seemed to run fine to me.

I figured it was an altnernator, and I did not want to do it myself (no tensioners, and I did not want to mess with a pry-bar to tension the belts, due to my inexperience). Had it towed to a AAA care care center, and they said they finally got it started. They said it was smoking horribly, knocking horribly, and antifreeze was coming out of the tailpiple (I experienced none of these problems, but I'm starting to understand where the missing antifreeze was going, so it does make sense).

That is the background, now here is my delema:

They said the engine is completely shot. I would either have to replace the motor, or scrap the truck. I spoke to my Brother In Law about this, who is knowledgeable, and he said that it's a blown head gasket. If the antifreeze is coming out of the exhaust, then that is the cause. The oil has been checked, and it is fine.

Shop says the engine is so destroyed that the reason it would not start is because of the extra drag it was putting on the starter, and that if I fixed it, it would just be one problem after another, and I may dump a lot of money in before I ever found the cure.

So.... (Sorry it's a long post, I want get as much detail as possible), is it worth having the head-gasket replaced?, or do I need to start shopping?

I <NEED> to have a truck, because I live in the country, and haul off our trash, and need 4wd because it's a farm, and we are hauling yard waiste in the fields and etc.

So, what would you do? Have it fixed? or walk away, and buy another one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,623,591 times
Sounds like the headgasket to me too. A blown headgasket should not destroy the engine but it is possible that the motor overheated and warped the block. If it is just the headgasket then get it replaced, if you feel that the value of the vehicle is not worth it the get yourself a replacement truck.
By the way, Toyota had a tsb on headgasket on their truck and 4Runner 3.0 v6's from 1989 to 1995 for the longest time, you may wish to check and see if yours is covered under the tsb. If it is, Toyota may repair it for free. Call Toyota corporate with your vin # and find out.

Are you sure you have a 1995 Tacoma? The Tacoma name wasn't used until the 1996 model year. What motor do you have the 4cyl, 3.4 V6 or 3.0 V6?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,904,794 times
Without seeing the truck, no one here will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is and what to do about it. It's just a guessing game.

Do you have any reason to doubt the shop that diagnosed it?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,870,655 times
If the truck is in excellent shape otherwise, and you don't want a payment, put an engine in it. You can probably source a good junkyard engine for between 5-800 bucks and another 800 to put it in... get one with less than 75k on it and you likely won't have any issues.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks. Definitely a 95 Tacoma (actually 95 1/2, the first year they came out). It is a v6 3.4.

No reason to doubt the shop, just making sure I understand as much as I can. (I agree, nobody can diagnose without seeing, I just wanted to know if it sounds reasonsable.)

The truck did run hot a few times before I replaced the radiator, so it is reasonable to think I may have warped the block.

The shop did lead me to believe it would be several thousand to get a motor and put it in, but I will look around and see what I can find. I also have located a nice 95 4runner for a good price. It is the 3.0 referenced above, so that is an option too.

Thanks all.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,665,035 times
I would get a motor from Watanabe motors, google them.
http://www.kwcengine.com/

low mileage motors from Japan with only 30,000 miles on them. Cheaper than doing a headjob. I have never heard a bad word about them.

That I am aware of, they have everything still on them. Hoses are cut to remove from donor. All smog is in place, but if yours is different you may need to swap over some parts.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,767,013 times
My advice, Bmateo . . . have your Tacoma fixed.

Since you've owned it since new and know it has been properly maintained over the years, even a few big ones will be better than the price of a new vehicle or the "dangers" of buying a used one.

Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,726,636 times
I'm with Bummer, fix it. Find a low mileage replacement engine and have it installed. It's your truck, you know everything that's happened to it since day one, so even if you spend a few thousand dollars, it's not that much in the long run. You could buy what seems like a decent replacement truck of similar age and still end up having transmission problems or a bad engine with the replacement truck too, ending up spending much more money than you originally intended.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,971,142 times
Anti freeze is getting into the combustion chamber when sitting still. The cyl with the anti freeze will keep the engine from making a revolution as the valves are closed in that one cyl and the engine will lock.

I had the same problem with my chev S-10 2.8. Replaced the head gskt and it ran fine until another time same head went again. Poor design with the engine by GM.

NO antifreeze in the oil means the block is okay...out the tail pipe means it's in the top of the piston and is forced out in running. Pull the spk plugs and crank the engine over and watch for the fluid to shoot out. Thats an old mechanic trick to narrow down a leak...same thing with bubbles in the radiator.

Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Bummer, 43, and Steve, thanks for your advice. This is actually why I was coming back, to ask about this very thing.

My Brother In Law (BIL) insists that I don't even need a new motor. He says definitely a head gasket, and then when the mechanic is "in there" he can determine if it needs a new head too. We want to bring it home and have a local mechanic do the work, it is currently 25 miles away.

he says we can drive it home, just top off the anti-freeze and drive strait home. Good idea? Or should I have it towed?

I appreciate all the advice. I'm only asking more questions so I don't make a mistake. What I get so far is best case is I replace the gasket and all is good. Worse is that I replace the gasket and the head, and worst of all is the entire motor. Seems like driving it before i have it fixed could lead to "entire motor"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive