Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM

6,456 posts, read 9,829,633 times

Advertisements

With GM and others shutting down some of their operations, how do you feel if you own a Pontiac or Saturn or whatever. (not picking on any specific brands)

I feel a little orphaned in a way. I have an older pontiac that sits these days but it made me wonder about how others feel that maybe just bought a new car just to find the manufacturer no longer makes/sells them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times
Having owned an MG-B for some years, the fact that British Leyland ceased operations years ago is pretty irrelevant to me.

Certainly with Pontiac, all that's gone really is a badge (and maybe the G8 if the numbskulls actually don't sell them in the US anymore) the vast majority of the parts are the same as a Buick or Chevy of some sort.

If GM were wiped from the face of the Earth, the parts suppliers would still be there, aftermarket wear parts would still be there, and junkyards would still be there.

A 1960's Pontiac has been an orphan since, just guessing, sometime in the 1980's, really.

GM corporate does not matter to old car owners.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
I don't feel to bad as all the drive train parts are still easy to get because the LS2 was used in a wide range of gm cars and trucks they only thing that will be hard to find is body parts and interior trim.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Saturn will be OK, it's in good hands.

Sad to see Pontiac go. That brand was mismanaged horribly. To wit: Chevy gets a 205HP and then 260HP version of the Cobalt, but GM's "performance" division has to settle for a 170HP G5? And to add insult to injury, they get a Daewoo rebadged as a G3? Did Pontiac really need a minivan (Montana?) And of course, we all should have seen this day coming the minute they showed the production Aztek to the public. If I were a Pontiac owner, I would have felt orphaned a long time ago.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Saturn is not necessarily in good hands. Just because Penske bought it doesn't mean the brand's future is secure. Many speculate that Penske bought it more for the dealer network - and plans to sell other cars.

I would not feel orphaned if I had an interesting or valuable vehicle. Unfortunately very few Buicks and Pontiacs are interesting.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having owned an MG-B for some years, the fact that British Leyland ceased operations years ago is pretty irrelevant to me.

Certainly with Pontiac, all that's gone really is a badge (and maybe the G8 if the numbskulls actually don't sell them in the US anymore) the vast majority of the parts are the same as a Buick or Chevy of some sort.

If GM were wiped from the face of the Earth, the parts suppliers would still be there, aftermarket wear parts would still be there, and junkyards would still be there.

A 1960's Pontiac has been an orphan since, just guessing, sometime in the 1980's, really.

GM corporate does not matter to old car owners.
Pretty true though I have always loved the Parisiennes and the newer Bonnevilles.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,340,235 times
I dislike GM and will probably never buy another.

OK, with that out of the way, the Grand Am Series in the US is great racing and Pontiac has been a big part of that the last few years. So yeah, Chevy is rumored to be putting the new SS on the track, but I don't know if GM money will stay in sponsorship.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,355,165 times
Being the proud owner of a 1978 Bonneville , it is of no consequence.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,292,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
With GM and others shutting down some of their operations, how do you feel if you own a Pontiac or Saturn or whatever. (not picking on any specific brands)

I feel a little orphaned in a way. I have an older pontiac that sits these days but it made me wonder about how others feel that maybe just bought a new car just to find the manufacturer no longer makes/sells them?

Alltthe more reason to build my pure Pontiac powered 69 Firebird and go run mid 6's in the 1/4 with it. Then I'm painting a big" **** on gm and obama" on the decklid since he made the decision to tell gm to end Pontiac completely, even tho it was buick losing the most. Guess obuma loves dumba-- waste of property golf and tiger too much to get rid of buick.
GM should have never quit making the far better Pontiac V8 instead of the pos chevy engines. And gm wonders why they lost customers they will never have a chance to get back.
Now back to that waste of property; We should level the golf courses and turnthem into dragstrips! If for no other reason than to **** off obama and the looney idiots who put gm in this mess. Naa, I have no ill will toward them, well, maybe a little....

Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
It seemed like with the introduction of cars like the Solstice and G8 that things were possibly on the right track with Pontiac again. Guess not.

But like was already meantioned it seemed like the brand had lost it's identity. I mean it was so pointless for pontiac to have SUV's and minivans. STUPID. The "Driving Excitement" brand having a line of kid haulers? pffff. And also having a line of entry level poo-boxes? What's the point in that?

They should have killed the minivan's and the entry level cars and built on their cars that could make a name for the brand. They also should have brought back the Firebird! And they should have reintroduced the GTO in an updated body style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive