Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 AM

302 posts, read 962,225 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking into buying my wife a new compact SUV and would like some first-hand advice from anyone who owns or has owned one. The models im considering are Audi Q5, lexus RX350, Nissan Murano, Acura RDX, and Cadillac SRX. Any others to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,095,674 times
My partner has a Lexus RX300, my friends has one too, my neighbor has a RX330 and one of my clients has a RX350. They have all loved having one. It sits up higher and is built on a car frame so the ride is not so stiff. None of them have had any problems with it and would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,431,565 times
Lexus will be the best and most reliable. It's also been the most popular luxury crossover in America for years, so they are doing something right with it.

Audi the most fun, and best-looking, I think.

The RDX is just kind of blah to me (you can buy a lot more car for the same amount of money).

The Cadillac is nice, but I don't think it's as nice as the Lexus or the Audi, yet it costs roughly the same.

The Murano will be the best all-around as far as options and features for the money.

Off your list, and keep in mind I sell cars (Lexus, for right now) -

1) Audi - most fun and best looking
2) Murano - Nissan makes a very nice product with a ton of features these days and is very reliable.
3) Lexus RX - Rock-solid reliability and luxury, but a little on the boring side of driving for me.
4) SRX - I just don't think it's a good value for the money.
5) RDX - Blah.

If you place a higher priority on quietness and smoothness over fun to drive, then switch the RX and the Q5, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Also, you might look at the GMC Acadia / Saturn Outlook, if you want a little bit bigger. They are super nice SUV's. I am always impressed with them.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
I don't think any of the vehicles listed are "compact" SUVs. They are all mid-size vehicles. Compact SUVs are vehicles like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and the Ford Escape.

All of the OPs listed vehicles are quality although I agree the SRX is not so inspiring. The Audi might be a bit of a risk quality wise.

My mother drives the previous gen RX and it is a very hiqh quality vehicle. My boss's RDX is also nice inside and feels rock solid. I might prefer a good V6 though over a turbo 4 in this class of vehicle.

The Acadia class SUVs are very good - but they are nowhere hear "compact." They have more interior room than a Tahoe.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,712,508 times
The Acura is quite boring imo, the SRX is brand new - supposed to be nice but you need the bigger engine for sure (V6). The Audi has garnered a lot of praise for its interior and ride quality. Everyone has an RX - its a Lexus, reliable but staid. Maybe also look at an Infiniti FX35 - it has the most sporting ride of the bunch though - not sure what you're looking for -

Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
We looked at the Audi a few weeks ago....not a bad looking vehicle. Didn't have the time to drive it tho.
No one has mentioned the BMW X5....although I'm not thrilled with the new look. We had a 4.8 a few yrs back, that was an awesome car to drive and 0 problems!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 AM

302 posts, read 962,225 times
I think most agre including myself - Lexus is the most reliable and best ride but not sporty at all, and the Audi is more fun and looks better but lacks Lexus' track record. I think i'll narrow my research down to these two. And as for the X5 I think its out of this price range (about $50k), there is always the X3 but I dont trust BMW's reliability.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
I think most agre including myself - Lexus is the most reliable and best ride but not sporty at all, and the Audi is more fun and looks better but lacks Lexus' track record. I think i'll narrow my research down to these two. And as for the X5 I think its out of this price range (about $50k), there is always the X3 but I dont trust BMW's reliability.
Interesting. We have had numerous BMWs...The X5 , an M5 and 2 M3's and never had a problem with any of them. Also, I may be wrong, but BMW, might be one of the last companies to give free maintance.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
I've never had major issues with a BMW, either. And, the X3 is generally thought to be more reliable than the X5, though it depends upon which X5. Anyone I know with an X3 has not had a major problem.

I have known of problem BMWs, from the factory, as in some of the 7-series, that had issues. However, the X3 is on a 3-series platform, and the only people I have known to have issues with a 3-series were those who provoked the issue, either by driving style or deferring proper maintenance. For example, someone I know had brake problems with a BMW, but it turned out that the less expensive place was changing pads only, not the rotors as required by BMW spec for the vehicle. Her attempt to save a few dollars at the outset actually cost more, since she went through a couple of sets of pads before mentioning it, and then found out that the bargain mechanic was taking her checkbook for a ride with new pads every so often (since he blamed the car's engineering). Now, some people would look at that situation and blame BMW, since it has to be the car's fault.

I agree that the Lexus is very reliable, though I would put BMW ahead of Audi in the long-term reliability department. The Acura is reliable, but the MDX is the better of the SUVs from Acura, IMO, since I don't understand the purpose of the RDX in its current execution.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,339,261 times
Don't overlook the new Mercedes Benz GLK.

Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLK, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, SLR, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class

It may be work checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive