Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM

222 posts, read 603,989 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

Do you think it's better to buy a fully loaded "regular" (no offense, just using that word for differentiation) car/suv or go ahead and plop down the $700-900/month car note for a luxury car?

I'm going to be buying a new car within the next few weeks, and I'm debating this. I've been test driving luxury SUV's (Lexus RX350, Audi Q5, Infiniti EX35 and BMW X3) and have to say, the experience in the cars as well as at the dealerships has been very nice. I did decide that this weekend I'm going to add some other cars in the mix to drive as well, like the Ford Edge and maybe the Toyota Highlander. I keep hearing about the new Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima as well, but I'm mainly interested in crossover/suv types for the space - no kids or anything (in my mid-30's). I can afford the luxury car, so that's not an issue, but of course would just save more by purchasing a less expensive car.

For me, having a luxury car is not about status or showing off, it's just because I like the features, the ride, the technology and the customer service much better in most cases. I also think that since I'll keep the car for a long time, it would be better reliability. I realize, however, that i also need to think about long-term maintainence, higher car note and insurance payments, etc.

What are your thoughts? If you have thought through this before and decided to go luxury, what was your deciding factor? If you decided to go fully loaded "regular" car, what did you get and are you happy with your decision?

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Personally I can't bring myself to buy a luxury car, not because I can't afford it but because with the way people treat other peoples cars in parking lots, driving a lot on the highways with rocks nicking up the car, etc. its just not worth it for me. Too many times I see people open up there doors right into the next persons car without even flinching like they do it all the time. Then if you're driving in a city a lot and need to park on the street, you're bound to have someone eventually nick or crack your bumper.

And while luxury cars do ride better in general, they are not necessarily more reliable. Check Consumer Reports Auto guide for more on that. Also even though they may ride better, they may not be so much better to warrant paying $10-15K more plus how much more it would be to insure as well.

That being said, when I get done with kids one day and its just me and the wife, I'd like to get myself a luxury car

Just my 2 cents...good luck with your decision

Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
i'd say get the car that fits your needs, budget, and wants.... whether that means a top end model or a nicely equipped lower one, drive what suits you best.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
I had this dilemma in August. I was shopping for the 2013 Ford Escape but when it is loaded with everything we want, it ended up being way too much. I ended up buying a 2.5 year old Acura with 27k miles with all the options (and then some) for 7k less. I figure the mileage is low that it won't affect the longevity of the vehicle (and the prior owner did all the regular service). Assuming this vehicle holds up, I think I will go with this route again (buying a couple year old luxury brand so the first owner takes the bulk of the depreciation).

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
900 bucks a month ?

My daily driver didn't even cost me 900 bucks 3 years thousands of miles ago !

I've had all that for what you want to pay for one month to have a flashy car.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Consider a CPO luxury vehicle. Save many thousands, drive the nicer vehicle.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I would go luxury. When we shopped for a new car we considered "regular" SUVs like the Pilot. However, the Pilot is still expensive so we we went with an off lease Lexus RX for less money than a new stripped Pilot. For us it was a no brainer because our car had only 28000 miles and was 3 years old.

I would think you really want the Luxury ride since you are considering it.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
It depends on what features you are looking for. A couple things I think you can "eliminate" right away.

1. Upgraded Alloys - You can always upgrade these on a later date at a cheaper price. You will also have a better selection, including OEM wheels.

2. In-Dash Navigation - This can easilly be done with a separate personal GPS. The separate GPS allows you to upgrade hassle free for cheap. An In-Dash GPS can cost hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

3. Performance Tires - Again, these can be purchased separately for much cheaper.

Those three, I would never pay extra for. I personally wouldn't pay for a few other things too. Like, upgraded audio equipment, power seats and cargo nets.

So, a FULLY loaded SUV may be a better buy if these items are important. Since most of the "fully loaded" options are items that nobody really uses, I would recommend the luxury SUV.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
900 bucks a month ?

My daily driver didn't even cost me 900 bucks 3 years thousands of miles ago !

I've had all that for what you want to pay for one month to have a flashy car.
$900/ month is nothing nowadays for a car payment. That would be the payment for 60 months on a vehicle around the $40,000 price point and $40,000 hardly buys you a new, fully-loaded mainstream vehicle.

I'm a big fan of CPO luxury vehicles and my next vehicle will likely be a 2 year old CPO luxury nameplate. There are numerous CPO vehicles that literally are 75% of the price of a new luxury car with low miles and a manufacturer warranty still in place. Best of both worlds.

The high-trim mainstream vehicles really don't compare to a luxury vehicle in terms of craftsmanship, materials, and gadgets.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM

222 posts, read 603,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would go luxury. When we shopped for a new car we considered "regular" SUVs like the Pilot. However, the Pilot is still expensive so we we went with an off lease Lexus RX for less money than a new stripped Pilot. For us it was a no brainer because our car had only 28000 miles and was 3 years old.

I would think you really want the Luxury ride since you are considering it.
Thanks Robrobrob, I'm leaning toward the luxury. I did just that, looking at suv's and pricing out what it would be to have all the bells and whistles, and in some cases it cost just as much as just buying the Lexus RX350 or the Audi Q5.

We have a dealer here is Dallas that sells off-lease luxury cars. They have a great reputation. My last car was a used car (Jetta) so I was thinking about this time actually buying something brand-spanking new. Plus, if I go with the RX, I like the 2013 design much better than previous designs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive