Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,620 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I've done some research here and elsewhere, and I've narrowed down my choices to a few vehicles, but I still have a few questions and am looking for people's opinions on what might be the best option for my needs.

My wife recently got a job near mine, so we've started carpooling in the nicer of our two cars (an Acura RL). The less-nice car (a Chevy Prizm) spends most of its time in the driveway, so we're planning to trade it for something more practical than a second sedan. It needs to meet the following criteria:

- Previously, we were both able to work from home during Portland's snowy days, of which we got a couple week's worth this past winter. With my wife's new job, she isn't able to do that, so we want something with AWD or 4WD for those occasional bad-weather days.

- We have a never-ending home-remodeling project underway. I've done most of the work that can be done with stuff that will fit into the Prizm. (I recently fit two new, boxed toilets in it, and I was very proud of myself.) Before me lies many months of crown molding, interior doors, sheet rock, fencing, shrubs for the yard, dirt, flagstone, etc. I could pay to have it delivered, but if we're going to get a new vehicle, it might as well be something that can haul stuff.

- We've recently started camping, and we want to spend more time exploring the PNW's great outdoors, which we've sadly neglected during the years we've lived here. The Acura can hold a lot of stuff, but it's not really meant for rutted logging roads up in the mountains. (We tried it, and it was a bit scary, not to mention that the underbrush was rough on the paint.) At this point, we have no plans to do serious off-roading, but that could change, although I doubt we'd drive to the summit of Mt. Rainier or anything like that. We don't plan to tow a boat, horse trailer, camper, zeppelin, etc.

- We plan to buy something used, preferably around $20,000 or less. It needs to be rock-solid reliable, because I hate spending money at the repair shop. Gas mileage isn't a huge concern, since this won't be a daily driver, but there's no sense gulping more gas than we need to.

For the needs I've mentioned, what are the pros and cons of an SUV vs. a pickup truck with a shell? The only one I can think of is that a pickup can take loads of dirt/gravel/rocks and will hold furniture and large upright plants. On the other hand, we'd probably want the shell on most of the time. How much of a pain are they to put on and take off?

If we go the pickup route, we're leaning toward a Honda Ridgeline, because of the combination of car-like ride and interior, pickup bed, reliability, and moderate off-road capability. We're also considering a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a crew cab (how many cylinders would be enough?). Please, no long discussion on whether the Ridgeline is ugly or not manly enough -- I think it looks fine, and I'm secure enough in my manhood to drive one. There is a comapny that makes a shell for it.

If we go the SUV route, the choice is whether to get a truck, or whether a crossover will do. From what I've read, the Toyota 4Runner looks to be the best choice for a truck-based SUV. Of the crossovers, the Subaru Forester seems to be the most outdoorsy and capable of moderate off-roading. My impression is that a RAV4 or CR-V aren't meant for off-roading at all, but if anyone thinks otherwise, let me know, because I like them otherwise. As for Jeeps, people seem to love 'em or hate 'em. They're either nothing but trouble, or they run forever, which makes me leery.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:15 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
How about a Subaru Outback? Guy who works with me has a Ridgeline, what can I say; it's a Honda, reliable to the gills.

Toyota has had some trouble with the Tacoma, it's a big thirsty beast now, not like it was back 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
for what you are doing a small pick-up truck would be alot more useful than a small SUV or wagon
the fors ranger is what I would look at or a toyota tacoma or nissian frontier and the mazada B4000

Ford Ranger vs. Toyota Tacoma Review

Performance
With respect to horsepower, the Ranger packs quite a punch and will knock the Toyota Tacoma down a few rungs. However, remember that high horsepower engines often command higher insurance premiums.
Handling
With their similar turning radiuses, the Toyota Tacoma and the Ford Ranger likely handle approximately the same into and out of tight spots.
Drivetrain
The Toyota Tacoma has a larger engine than the Ford Ranger. Keep in mind that smaller engines are often cheaper to fix, but a smaller engine usually has to work a little harder.
Utility
Drivers with frequent kid-duty might favor the Ford Ranger over the Toyota Tacoma. The Toyota Tacoma is likely a better choice than the Ranger in terms of hauling capacity, especially if you often need to carry a lot of luggage or animals.
Convenience
You will definitely have to visit your friendly gas station more often with the Ford than with the Toyota Tacoma.
Comfort
While the front cabin in the Tacoma offers a bit more head room than the Ford, there honestly isn't much of a difference. The ampler interior dimensions of the Ford Ranger make it roomier for your passengers than the Toyota Tacoma.
Dimensions
The Ford Ranger's tank is roughly the same size as the Toyota Tacoma's, though the Toyota Tacoma's is a tad bigger. The Ranger and the Tacoma compete for the same parking spaces.
Cost
The destination charge is a standard charge for transporting the vehicle from its point of origin to the dealer. It costs approximately the same to get the Ford to the dealership as the Toyota Tacoma. Producing a precise fuel economy evaluation is so difficult that some think not even the federal government can do it, but it looks as though both the Toyota Tacoma and the Toyota Tacoma perform about similarly when it comes to fuel economy. The Ranger doesn't pale in comparison to the Tacoma regarding fuel economy. The Ford isn't much less pricey than the Toyota as far as MSRP.
Overview
The Ford Ranger and the Toyota have the same basic warranty.

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/09.top10.least.expensive.trucks/09.nissan.frontier.500.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by GTOlover; 08-07-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
I was in the same thoughts as you are. I am a carpenter, want something to haul tools and material. Camping and off roading. Parking is a problem where we live.
I looked at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra, Frontier and then the Ford Sport Trac.
The Ridgeline was tempting, but this had only been their second year even making a truck and went with a unibody.
The Tundra was too big, the truck is over 6 feet wide and you can only seat two across.
I was deciding on the Frontier, Tacoma and Sport Trac. So I listed their strong points. All were in the same price range, same fuel consumption and all 4 wheel drive.

I decided on the Sport Trac. It had a V8 and class 4 receiver. factory tow package to tow 7600 pounds. It has been carrying loads and been a real pleasure to drive. Mileage is better than the sticker quote, I am getting 25/18.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I was in the same thoughts as you are. I am a carpenter, want something to haul tools and material. Camping and off roading. Parking is a problem where we live.
I looked at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra, Frontier and then the Ford Sport Trac.
The Ridgeline was tempting, but this had only been their second year even making a truck and went with a unibody.
The Tundra was too big, the truck is over 6 feet wide and you can only seat two across.
I was deciding on the Frontier, Tacoma and Sport Trac. So I listed their strong points. All were in the same price range, same fuel consumption and all 4 wheel drive.

I decided on the Sport Trac. It had a V8 and class 4 receiver. factory tow package to tow 7600 pounds. It has been carrying loads and been a real pleasure to drive. Mileage is better than the sticker quote, I am getting 25/18.
good point I forgot about those ford has the sport trac and chevy has the avalanche

http://www.autosite.com/images/2007/Chevrolet/Avalanche_staff/400/07_Chevrolet_Avalanche_11.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM

the 09 suzuki equator is not to shabby

http://www.byjamesraia.com/content_images/2/equator.jpg (broken link)

this is something to look at if you like the tacoma becase toyota made it for suzuki and it is based on the tacoma platform withn the same drive train so it is worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAGjx0VMLDg

Last edited by GTOlover; 08-07-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,620 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! You've given me some new vehicles to consider.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,507 times
I would highly suggest driving them, because you may find you do or don't like how some models drive, especially if you only have cars now. I'm not a big fan of the top heavy feel of some SUV type vehicles.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
I suggest driving the Ridgeline. It is somewhat like an Avalanche in concept but smaller and it is a Honda. It drives like a car, yet can tow 5000 lbs. It has a giant waterproof "trunk" under the bed for storage. It seats 5 easily. It has outstanding safety ratings and is very reliable.

I think those that criticize it for unibody are just silly. It is a reinforced unibody. It perfectly fits the description of a truck that mostly needs to carry people, serve recreational uses, and haul stuff from HD. You should be able to find a used one in your range.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 09 suzuki equator is not to shabby

this is something to look at if you like the tacoma becase toyota made it for suzuki and it is based on the tacoma platform withn the same drive train so it is worth a look.
Your post really caught my eye, I had not heard of or seen these. I just went to the Suzuki sight and it does not appear that these are available in 4WD. And according to the video it is based on the Nissan Frontier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive