Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,279,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Consideration of a roadster plus a little more coin opens you up to the BMW Z3.
One of my neighbors was looking to buy an early model Z3 ('96) from a private party and the owner only wanted about $8500 for it. I thought that was a crazy low price considering it was a low mileage car (88k) and it was absolutely cherry inside and out (only found one little door ding on the passenger side).

But then I went to look on Autotrader to see what other Z3's were going for that were of similar spec (Year/mileage). They are actually very common and can be had for well under $10k. And most that I found had well under 100k miles. Considering the year that's pretty low. My daily driver has 100k miles on it and it's half as old. I guess the only thing I could assume from that is that they get driven less on average because they don't get taken on long road trips as much....and some are possibly weekend/sunny-day fun toys.

An interesting twist was that if you look them up on Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds the maximum private party value is about $4500. The only ones I found actively looking for anywhere near that price were some that were in pretty rough shape (ie been in wrecks or had very high mileage). This is interesting because most of the time they are a little overly optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,344,373 times
Good to know about the Z3. I looked for a used one (when still living in the DC area) and the prices were more than I wanted to pay for that car (for the better half, not for me :-) )

Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,279,043 times
I was thinking about getting a used Solstice in a few years but considering how the older Z3's are priced these days I'm rethinking.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 PM

98 posts, read 479,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
At that price range, and with those stipulations, I would have to go with the E36 3-Series. Other options not listed would be an A4 and Volvo C70. The C70 is pretty decent looking and has some extremely comfortable seats.
I like the looks of the Volvo, but I drive an old Volvo currently, and in my experience the reputation for being "bulletproof" is undeserved

Plus, I think I've concluded that I am just not a Volvo guy. I do like the Audi A4, though; I will keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Paul

Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I would suggest a roadster rather than a sedan that happens to have a drop top.

Consideration of a roadster plus a little more coin opens you up to the BMW Z3 and Honda S2K, or you can stay at 10K at round up a well-cared for Miata (given some search time).

I can count the number of times I wish my car had a back seat. It's zero.
I love the Z3, and drove a Miata for several years, bookended by a pair of RX-7 convertibles. I am a HUGE fan of roadsters; for years I shopped for cars based on what I called the 5 to 0 scale:

5 Speeds
4 Wheels
3 Pedals
2 Seats
1 Engine
No roof.

BUT...I already have a two-seat toy in the garage, and I have found myself recently in need of a bit more space sometimes. Plus, I'd like to have the option of taking a lady and her small children for a top-down ride along the beach on occasion.

Unfortunately, given all that, I still have to keep reminding myself NOT to buy a Z3...or an MG...Or an Alfa spider...or a Spitfire...

Paul

Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm good point a nice 4yh gen trans am are nice cars and with the LS1 are very fun to drive
That Firebird is hideous. It looks like it won the contest for the most scoops, vents, and tacked on looking body parts.

I suppose if you idolized Smokey the the Bandit.....

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
I love the Z3, and drove a Miata for several years, bookended by a pair of RX-7 convertibles. I am a HUGE fan of roadsters; for years I shopped for cars based on what I called the 5 to 0 scale:

5 Speeds
4 Wheels
3 Pedals
2 Seats
1 Engine
No roof.

BUT...I already have a two-seat toy in the garage, and I have found myself recently in need of a bit more space sometimes. Plus, I'd like to have the option of taking a lady and her small children for a top-down ride along the beach on occasion.

Unfortunately, given all that, I still have to keep reminding myself NOT to buy a Z3...or an MG...Or an Alfa spider...or a Spitfire...

Paul
I like your 5 to 0 countdown.

The E-30 325i would be a perfect car for what you want, but like I said they are damn hard to find, I would like one myself but on Roadfly etc. the very few non M3 E30 cars are all trashed junk. But you might as well put it on your list in case you find one.

Really, the Solara and the VW Cabrio are both sometimes considered "hairdresser's cars" as is the Miata, unfairly IMHO. They are all 3 good cars (I have not driven the Solara, but the earlier model is IMHO a decent looking car, maybe on the bland side, but it's basically a good car and you can get one with 5-speed without having to search coast-to-coast. The older Cabrios, get one with an 8-valve engine and a 5-speed, you can find a good one if you look around and won't need to spend more than say $3500 on the outside for an excellent example, they are easy to work on. My main daily driver is an 82 Scirocco, it has taken me a while to sort out some electrical and tuning gremlins, but once put right they tend to stay right for a long time, enough power to be interesting, MPG to be economical, and you can get an amazing amount of stuff in the Cabrio, particularly top-down.

To consider a couple more ideas out of left field: How about some sort of Jeep? How about a 1960's Detroit convertible? The Detroit iron tends to a slushbox when it's a ragtop, but they are not all slushboxes. And they are super-easy to work on, if you garage it and take good care of it, you will pay for nothing beyond gas, tires, and oil...You won't meet yourself coming and going either. Early Mustang, Camaro, Dart, something like that?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I like your 5 to 0 countdown.

The E-30 325i would be a perfect car for what you want, but like I said they are damn hard to find, I would like one myself but on Roadfly etc. the very few non M3 E30 cars are all trashed junk. But you might as well put it on your list in case you find one.

Really, the Solara and the VW Cabrio are both sometimes considered "hairdresser's cars" as is the Miata, unfairly IMHO. They are all 3 good cars (I have not driven the Solara, but the earlier model is IMHO a decent looking car, maybe on the bland side, but it's basically a good car and you can get one with 5-speed without having to search coast-to-coast. The older Cabrios, get one with an 8-valve engine and a 5-speed, you can find a good one if you look around and won't need to spend more than say $3500 on the outside for an excellent example, they are easy to work on. My main daily driver is an 82 Scirocco, it has taken me a while to sort out some electrical and tuning gremlins, but once put right they tend to stay right for a long time, enough power to be interesting, MPG to be economical, and you can get an amazing amount of stuff in the Cabrio, particularly top-down.

To consider a couple more ideas out of left field: How about some sort of Jeep? How about a 1960's Detroit convertible? The Detroit iron tends to a slushbox when it's a ragtop, but they are not all slushboxes. And they are super-easy to work on, if you garage it and take good care of it, you will pay for nothing beyond gas, tires, and oil...You won't meet yourself coming and going either. Early Mustang, Camaro, Dart, something like that?
I'm quickly seeing your point on the E30. Trying to fine one in reasonably good shape, with a 5-speed, is already proving to be an exercise for someone with more patience than I have. I guess the E36 wouldn't be bad, but for some reason I just love the styling of the E30; maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80's.

I have driven an older Solara, and it was OK. I've never seen one with a manual, though - I didn't even know they built them. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

The Jeep is definitely a contender, probably my second choice at the moment after the BMW. I'd love an early Mustang or Camaro, but anything in decent shape is well out of the price range I want to be in.

Thanks for all the input!

Paul

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,044,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
I
The Jeep is definitely a contender, probably my second choice at the moment after the BMW.
Paul
Pardon my impertinence here, I really do not mean to be rude, but...

A close toss up between a Jeep and a Bimmer? I just do not get that.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Pardon my impertinence here, I really do not mean to be rude, but...

A close toss up between a Jeep and a Bimmer? I just do not get that.
I have eclectic tastes.
I love old European cars, hence the Bimmer.
I love going to the beach, and doing outdoor stuff, hence the Jeep.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive