Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times

Advertisements

Remember when you used to see a lot of 80's and early 90's GM cars running around with the paint peeling off and the primer exposed? Why was this?

So far I've gotten two different answers.

1. was the paint was a new water based enamel

2. was the bodies were now made of a more corrosion resistant steel that the paint didn't jive with being applied on.

Anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
It was the water based paint, but the clear coat was to fault as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,441,852 times
I had a minor peeling problem and had a proper new paint job done, free of charge days before the 5 year warranty ran out. The dealer said the reason for the failure was due to the fact that the primary coat was dry before the finish coats were applied.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
The only (and last) new GM I ever had came with this problem and was repainted three times (the first time, they paid half).

I have been told every story you listed. I was also told they just did some jobs too quick. I don't know jack about paint, but I know GM sucks.

We had several other GM cars in the 80s and 90s (my family that is) and only one other had the same problem and it was only evident on the trunk and hood, but it looked exactly the same as my problem.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
both are correct..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Remember when you used to see a lot of 80's and early 90's GM cars running around with the paint peeling off and the primer exposed? Why was this?

So far I've gotten two different answers.

1. was the paint was a new water based enamel

2. was the bodies were now made of a more corrosion resistant steel that the paint didn't jive with being applied on.

Anyone know for sure?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
It wasn't just GM, though their seemed to be the most problematic. And gray colors seemed to have more problems than other colors.

From what I've been told, it had primarily to do with a change in the composition of the primers they used.

Of course, that was also the era during which the major shift to base-coat/clear-coat took place, and I'm sure they were still working out the kinks in that system.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
The interesting part is I have two vehicles with this issue, but on the inside behind all the body panels where you can't see, the paint still looks new and shiny. So I wonder if something else helped accelerate this?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,629 times
I had a Shadow with the issue. from my research, this is what I found:

The manufacturers had to switch to low VOC (volatile organic compound) paint to meet EPA regs. most went to a basecoat clearcoat system. However, they were really just learning about the vagaries of this system. early paints needed 45 minutes drying time before the clearcoat was applied. When the factories needed more product, they didn't wait as long as they needed to, so the paint wasn't truly dry. this caused adhesion problems as the paint aged.

The only solution is to strip all the paint and re-apply properly.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
The real problem was how they (GM) handled it with customers.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
I see this problem on quite a few cars out there. Most of the time it's on the hood or roof toward the leading edges....seems like I see it most on white cars.

I work in the aircraft industry and have seen some similar issues with coatings before. In years past we've had to go to a more EPA friendly paint. This new paint doesn't bond as well and doesn't have the ability to 'move' with the surfaces. Where before it was more flexible and wouldn't crack it now is not flexible and does crack. So when the airplane goes through heat cycles (Sun and engine heating up and cooling down surfaces) and typical vibrations and flexing....the paint doesn't want to expand/contract as well....which eventually will result in the paint liberating from the surface.

This seems somewhat similar to the situation we're discussing. A car gets hot from the sun. The sun hits the upper portion of the car. The paint and the body panels have different coefficients of thermal expansion. If the paint cannot flex and move around with the body then eventually you'll have a similar problem. Then you take said car out and drive it down the road at 70mph. The wind will impact the leading edges...along with bugs, rocks, birds... so you will have some peeling there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive