Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about taking part in a student exchange programm next year, so I will need a car in the United States. It maybe difficult, because I will have to get a Drivers License from Florida etc. to get an inssurance.

It would be very nice to get a real american car for this time, (I'm from Germany and often drive some BWM, Audi, etc, but this is not what I'm looking for), but it is a bit hard to find one, I can afford, let's say about 5k oder 6k Dollars, maybe a little bit more (used, of course, miles or age not so very important)

Nice would be a truck, a Mustang or anything like that.
How much is the loss in value, if I would buy a car for driving it 6 months, and afterwards give it back to the dealer? What car would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for any idea

Douglas Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
The domestics in your range won't often include full size trucks since they hold their value pretty well. That's also a price range for many parents as they shop for their teen's "first car." It's high enough to get something solid, but low enough to be reasonable. I bet you could find a used Mustang with the 4.6 for around 5K. I saw one around here with 130K miles for about that.

Maybe try Auto Trader's webiste and punch in your destination zip code and see what comes up.

As far as losing money, I doubt you'd lose much really, but there's risk involved. What if the transmission or other major part goes out?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
I wouldn't count on getting anything 'good' for that money. What you will get is an american car that has past it's prime. You'll go back to Germany complaining about how crappy American cars are. You get what you pay for. Pony up another $4-5k and you'll get something better.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
For that money just rent a new car for six months. Then you can drive whatever you want. You'll most likely take a loss on the car if you purchase through a dealer anyway.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times
Thanks for you help.

Quote:
You'll go back to Germany complaining about how crappy American cars are. You get what you pay for. Pony up another $4-5k and you'll get something better.
Hmm, I would not complain about american cars, I have driven the new Mustang and a Chrysler 300 already, but this is much to expensive... I know that I will not get a "good" car for that money, but as a student I can't afford a much better one, what I'm able to spend depends on the loss of value in this months... I think a new car will loose twice of an older one *g*

Quote:
For that money just rent a new car for six months.
When I looked it up, a long-time rental for 6 months was about $4k for a small standard car, $7k for a larger one. I think even if I would buy a car for $10k, my loss would be less than that, or not? And I will have to pay the under-age-fee below the age of 25.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I certainly would not buy a car and let it go back to the dealer. best to buy one around that price and then sell it before leaving IMO. There are lots good trucks in that price range as they have dropped dramaticly in value these days.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,019 times
You could probably get an older Camaro for around that. Not a fantastic car, but better than the alternatives.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Not certain if you just want transportation or also want to "experience" an American car.

If you just want transportation, if you'll be in a fairly urban area, consider ZipCar or similar, you pay by the day or hour to use one of their cars.

Unless you *really* know what you are doing, an older American car in your price range will need work and/or may not be too reliable, this will distract from your studies.

If you'll be in the South, you mention Florida, something you might want to consider is an old pickup, something from the 60's or early '70's, you can find these in good condition well within your budget, they are very simple and easy to work on (assuming you get a basic one, with manual everything)

If you'll be here in summer you can sell it in the fall, pickups are a little easier to sell in fall due to hunters wanting them.

If you buy a good truck, and don't pay too much, you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it, or even a little profit.

On most older vehicles you don't want to spend your entire budget on the car/truck, it will very likely need tires, brakes, etc., you can of course check these before buying but most of the time the vehicle will have needs.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I wouldn't count on getting anything 'good' for that money. What you will get is an american car that has past it's prime. You'll go back to Germany complaining about how crappy American cars are. You get what you pay for. Pony up another $4-5k and you'll get something better.
It is possible to buy a good car for $4-5k. I bought my '95 Lincoln Town Car in Oct., 2006 for $4,000. It has been very reliable; only needed a starter. The interior is in very good condition (no tears on the seats) and it runs great.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Look for full size American fleet cars of present and past... Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis's, Town Cars, Caprices, Roadmasters... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive