Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times

Advertisements

It's good place to start, hope that clears it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Update: Replaced the plugs. It seems noticeably smoother running and seems as though some power has returned as well. The check engine light has not re-appeared after being reset. I think the real test is starting up on a cold morning. That's when the problem seemed to be the worst. Expecting cold mornings this week here in KS. Crossing fingers.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Update: Replaced the plugs. It seems noticeably smoother running and seems as though some power has returned as well. The check engine light has not re-appeared after being reset. I think the real test is starting up on a cold morning. That's when the problem seemed to be the worst. Expecting cold mornings this week here in KS. Crossing fingers.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
A comment. I think the 100K mile sparkplug change interval is pure marketing buncom, 24K variety. All miles are not equal, some people are towing stuff, others not, long trip short trip, whatever.

But consider this: When you run your plugs down to a nub, the ignition system has to run higher voltages to fire them. This stresses the coils, etc. Realtively expensive stuff, and harder to change than a plug. Plus, I really have my doubts about a sparkplug not seizing into the head after the typical 10 years worth of driving to accumulate 100K.

Plus the price of fuel anymore.

On most cars sparkplug access is anything from easy (most inline 4) to not bad (many V-6, most V-8). I'd be changing them around 50K, or at any rate at the first sign of misfiring.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
The plugs that came out of it didn't look SO bad. I mean you could visibly see the tips were smaller but they definitely could have been worse based on some I've seen before.

I had my FIL help me change them out on Saturday. OMG it was tough to get to a couple on the driver side and the back one on the passenger side. On the driver side the stearing column gets in the way and on the passenger side the plugs are angled toward the rear of the vehicle which makes the one on the back which is right next to the AC Dryer dang hard to get to. And then to get a torque wrench on all those puppies??? Oh man....I was thinking the whole time...."I wonder what a mechanic would charge". LOL

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I had my FIL help me change them out on Saturday. OMG it was tough to get to a couple on the driver side and the back one on the passenger side. On the driver side the stearing column gets in the way and on the passenger side the plugs are angled toward the rear of the vehicle which makes the one on the back which is right next to the AC Dryer dang hard to get to. And then to get a torque wrench on all those puppies??? Oh man....I was thinking the whole time...."I wonder what a mechanic would charge". LOL
The factory plugs are installed before the engine is dropped in - it's a miracle any of us have a chance!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,750 times
im showing cylender 6 is misfiring,witch one is cylender 6? i have a 98 ram 2500/5.9/360

Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,750 times
im showing cylender 6 is misfiring,witch one is cylender 6? i have a 98 ram 2500/5.9/360

Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
I don't have answers to the above problems, but I am having a problem with my 2002 Lincoln LS and 2003 Aviatior. Both have giving the same trouble coils have been changed on both until a week later the hesitation starts again at 40 60 mi/hr. Tuned up the Aviator again week later hesitation starts again. My mechanic even changed the fuel filter in the Aviator. What has Lincoln done only build these vehicles to last 6 years and then put thousands of dollars into them? Help please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive