Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,463 times

Advertisements

I have a flat tire on my 1998 mercury mystique that i CAN NOT get off. I took the lug nuts off and it dosent budge. I used a sledgehammer, WD40 on the threads. nothing worked. so I jacked up the other back tire and tried to take it off and i ran into the same problem. anything special you have to do to get the tire off. owners manual said nothing about any lock or special key to get it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,225,402 times
I replaced the timing belt in my nephew's Mystique. This required removing the front left wheel.

It was extremely difficult to remove. The problem is that the center hole of the rim apparently isn't quite as big as it needs to be. Why they did that, I do not know - but that might be why so many people call those cars the Mercury Mistake...

If you've got all the lug nuts off, they're not your problem. WD40 the center hole, spin the wheel as you're pounding the inside of your rim with the sledge. It should come off.

*Be careful to, in your anger and frustration, not bend the rim by pounding on it too hard.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,864,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseythompson0929 View Post
I have a flat tire on my 1998 mercury mystique that i CAN NOT get off. I took the lug nuts off and it dosent budge. I used a sledgehammer, WD40 on the threads. nothing worked. so I jacked up the other back tire and tried to take it off and i ran into the same problem. anything special you have to do to get the tire off. owners manual said nothing about any lock or special key to get it off.
Are you able to turn the wheel? If not, the jack may need to go up a little more.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM

9,463 posts, read 11,220,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Are you able to turn the wheel? If not, the jack may need to go up a little more.
HA! Beat me to it!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 AM

259 posts, read 824,150 times
Well it may have just been that all the lug nuts were ran with an impact till TIGHT or cranked by hand till TIGHT and not torqued properly. I've had plenty of cars like that. Usually Im able to keep wiggling the ram, pushing at the top, then bottom to try to get it to move. Sometimes I have to use a rubber hammer on the back side too...

I would think he would know to jack the wheel of the ground...I could be wrong...

Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,025,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
Usually Im able to keep wiggling the ram, pushing at the top, then bottom to try to get it to move. Sometimes I have to use a rubber hammer on the back side too...
That method works for me too.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,463 times
yeah the wheel is high enough off the ground. still wont budge

Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 AM

9,463 posts, read 11,220,029 times
Plan A:
Put stands under the two front wheels.
Get a friend/associate to brace the side of the caah.
Crank steering wheel over full, spray Break Free liberally to lug nuts and center hole. Get in front of the caah with a favorite sledge hammer and a 2x4. Apply sledge hammer persuasion via 2x4 to inside of rim.

Plan B:
Go to musclehead gym, bet the house 20 bucks that no one there can remove two wheels from a Merkerry. Observe results.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,743,008 times
Apply heat to the center of the wheel, around the lug openings. This is typically the area where corrosion siezes the wheel to the hub. The heat will cause the metal to expand a bit, breaking the bond. A small amount is usually sufficient, using a propane, or Mapp torch. No need to get it glowing red or anything extreme. This method works miracles on rusted and seized screws/nuts/bolts of all kinds. Use common sense with the open flame

Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,729,519 times
^^^^ What he said just try not to melt any seals. Buy a bottle of never/anti-seize and liberally apply during reinstall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive